Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:15:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hey Dutchies, is there a way to dispute postage tax?  (Read 4279 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Hey Dutchies, is there a way to dispute postage tax?
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
If someone asked me what I dislike about living in the Netherlands I would have a hard time to come up with something.  It's not a perfect place, but I really love living here.  However, if someone asked me after a trip to the local TNT office, I may be able to come up with something!

I ordered the Road Kill set for $99, with $10 postage.

I got a 26 euro tax bill....  That's a 26 euro tax on effectively 86 euros!  I havent paid this yet and am considering sending it back if this is true.  Is there someway to dispute this?
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Hey Dutchies, is there a way to dispute postage tax?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:13:22 PM »
In the UK you are charged 20% VAT plus an £8 handling fee, so yes, we get stung like that.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 08:16:17 PM »
If I recall, the fee is 12,50.  In the States you are charged a 'Court Fee' when you go to court for charges, but you dont pay a fee to pay your income taxes!?! 

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
The few times I ordered from the US I always caculate BTW (VAT) on top of the products because it is what I have to pay when collecting the parcel from the postoffice (on top of that euro 12,50 "handling costs)". I don't like to pay it but it seems the only way to order from outside the EU and you can know it in advance.

You can find information here:
http://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/connect/bldcontentnl/belastingdienst/prive/douane/goederen_ontvangen_uit_het_buitenland/van_organisaties_en_bedrijven/moet_ik_belastingen_bij_invoer_betalen_zo_ja_hoe_bereken_ik_dat

edit: sorry, I can't answer your question..  :?

DJ
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:37:41 PM by Drunkendwarf »

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 08:57:50 PM »
Sadly, no, it is indisputable..  >:(
Neither the tax, nor the, in my eyes, insulting "service" fee the transporter levies for handing your package over to customs.
If it was just the tax, I could accept it (grudgingly), but the transporter demanding a treat for costing you more time and money?!  :-[

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:27:37 PM »
People have reported better success rates disputing death. lol

Luckily enough, we don't have that fee. However, previously the worst case was paying customs duties for everything, including shipping, and then VAT for everything, includining the duty for shipping... Now those two are parallel instead of cumulative, but it's compensated by the 5th highest VAT in EU and limits so low that transatlantic shipping alone may trigger them. Factor in the current USPS rates and you won't see me ordering much from that side.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »
I have to say that I have had stuff sent to my hotel in the US on the last three trips without a hitch.  Always useful if you know someone who is travelling.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 11:47:32 PM »
Well, for me living in NZ I don't think I have ever paid any import charges (knocks on wood) even for things in excess of $200. Either it's just too much work for my local posties or they are just nice friendly people.  ;D

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:51:07 AM »
you either pay up or refuse acceptance of the package.
I had a friend send a parcel back to GMT games because of the ridiculous amount he had to cough up.
While it is noted when ordering that the client takes all responsability and costs for clearing customs, they did refund him (+postage costs  :o) since he has always been a good customer and he did mention he'd be ordering from a German importer in the future.
Personaly I quite prefer the added customs cost when paying. several ebay sellers use this, so, at least you know what cost you're up against.
BTW : the handling fee is a mockery. They just send the paperwork to customs. The way I understand it, if customs don't ask for it, they don't even see your package. (at least that's what I read before)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 07:16:59 AM »
I got a 26 euro tax bill....  That's a 26 euro tax on effectively 86 euros!  I havent paid this yet and am considering sending it back if this is true.  Is there someway to dispute this?

Surely this does not come as a surprise ? VAT is not a new factor and 'inklaringskosten' (while they may seem high), are someobody's wage. You have to factor that administrative procedures take time and time costs money. It's as simple as that and perfectly legal.

The amount sounds about right to me. I always factor in these costs when ordering from out of the EU and most of the time try to find a european retailer who offers the same goods. The perceived 'inflated prices' you pay for US goods in the EU take these cost into account.

FYI - cost structure can be found here:  http://www.postnl.nl/ontvangen/pakket-ontvangen/pakket-uit-het-buitenland/bijkomende-kosten-bij-het-importeren-van-goederen-uit-het-buitenland/

I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 07:41:35 AM »
... 'inklaringskosten' (while they may seem high), are someobody's wage.

I wish I could earn €12.50 for each 10 minutes (if that) of work...  :'(

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
maybe its such a decent place to live because of the high taxation. Surely there is some government gravy you can get on something else that offsets the cost of postage taxation if it really burns. Legal and well within the framework of the system you live in. Here they used to throw money at you if you got solar power or bought your first home. Thousands of bucks worth of gubment gravy that took the sting out of some of the more outrageous charges like the tax on my cigs. More than $20 a pack now. F'ing cheaper to be addicted to GW I tells ya!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not Dutch but Belgian (with a slightly higher tax level IIRC), and I have to agree with your sentiment. It sometimes stings to see that over 50% of your paycheck doesn't arrive (directly) in your pockets but on the other hand, we do have some amazing 'luxuries' (until the new budgettary cutbacks get implemented). Decent schooling opportunities to name but one. Healthcare is a second.

I've had to go to the emergency services in the hospital a couple of times the last years, and at those occasions I really appreciated the level of service at quasi no extra personal cost.

Every system has its disadvantages and the government has the duty to be cost-efficient and some things probably can be organised better, but in the end, if the only thing you can complain about is the 'outrageous import cost' for your toys, you truly are having a blessed life.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 09:06:07 AM »
The tax is not the gripe, the fee is the real sting.  A few months ago I was hit with a 3 euro tax and a 12.50 fee to collect it.  That's not adding to our social system, and TNT the mail carrier is a private company, so I'm not sure if your argument holds water.  I think taxes are great and very necessary.  How those taxes are spent are a different matter, but this is not so much a taxation issue, but an issue of collection.  My 12.50 does not make Nederland any better, it goes into the pocket as more or less pure profit.

Thanks for all of the interesting replies!

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 09:30:39 AM »
That's not adding to our social system, and TNT the mail carrier is a private company, so I'm not sure if your argument holds water. 
My mistake - Belgian Postal services are not fully privatised (at the moment) and we have similar fees. I errouneously assumed that Nl Post was also a government organisation.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
The tax is not the gripe, the fee is the real sting.  A few months ago I was hit with a 3 euro tax and a 12.50 fee to collect it. 

The €12,50 is used for several costs:

De inklaringskosten die u betaalt als u een pakket van buiten de EU ontvangt, zijn als volgt opgebouwd:
•De kosten voor het opmaken van de vereiste douaneaangifte.
•Douanerechten, btw en andere invoerheffingen.
•Kosten voor het eventueel aanschrijven van de ontvanger wanneer de inhoud, waarde en gegevens van de zending niet overeenkomen of onvolledig zijn.
•Het vaststellen van product en waarde.
•Opslag- en bewaarkosten.
•Incassokosten.
•Administratieve kosten.

So the amount is not all profit for TNT........

DJ