Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tactics for Songs of Blades and Heroes...  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Tactics for Songs of Blades and Heroes...
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:54:46 AM »
Can anyone give me a few basic tactics for this game, along the lines of how to get the best from different troop types, skills and wotnot? I'm introducing the Grandkids to the game and want to be able to pass on a few tips as well as teaching them the rules... none of us has played before.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
Re: Tactics for Songs of Blades and Heroes...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:46:15 PM »
I think it may be best to try and activate the higher quality troops first and then only on 2 dice. Try to have the commander/leader add to the quality of the lower quality troops. I think having lots of terrain pieces make for a better game also.  :)

Offline timlillig

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
If you have a leader, its position is extremely important.  It should be guarded and not lead from the front.  The leader's influence also moves with it, so you can have your leader start on one flank, activate troops in that area, then move the leader  to inspire another section of troops.

However, you don't always need a leader.  You can do interesting things with a hero, who is a lead from the front type.  Terror, which can be used to control the board by driving back weaker troops, Assassin, which is obviously deadly, and Tough can all be good and sometimes overlooked personality types.

I have found the game to be much more enjoyable with a good scenario.  There are several in the rules and you can find more online.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 05:11:23 AM »
Gang up to kill things.  Basically the only way you are going to kill somebody is if you are ganging up on them, or they are fallen (or both!)  Also, quantity does not have its own quality in SOBH, having a warband with several members at Q4 or higher means it is unlikely you will ever win.  Don't spend points on ranged combat unless you can commit to a group of 3 or more archers.  Models with "Tough" are near indestructible. 

Take a dwarf leader and a group of three dwarf dragonslayers and a dwarf orcslayer and you can basically beat your way through just about anything.  It will take you a while to get there, but combat five will make sure nobody leaves in anything but a wooden box once they engage you.  Since all of the dragonslayers and your leader are fearless, morale will have no real impact on your warband.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 10:27:41 PM »
I mostly agree with folks here. SBH is a gang where he who best maneuvers to gang up on his enemies will win.  This means clever use of leaders to get all your troops into combat and being patient, even if that means sometimes slowing your advance and waiting while stragglers catch up.

Also, our club has outlawed the "Savage" special rule.  It's effect on the game is just too potent, especially when it's on a model with a high combat score.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 10:55:23 PM »
I have been on the receiving end of ranged fire to combat the massed troop attack.

Hit and run worked  :-[

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »
Wait. There are tactics?
This could explain why I keep losing to my nine year old.
:)

TBH, the concepts are so simple that I expect your grandkids will get a grasp of the basics before you do (no offence intended) :o

Having just introduced SBH to my two I'd say the main thing for them to get to grips with is the "how many dice to roll" for each activation - you find out who the gamblers are - so some advice and guidance there is useful at first if you want to avoid them repeatedly failing and getting fed up.
Using leaders to move groups can be quite powerful, so understanding how that works and explaining it or showing when it could be useful might help.

Beyond that we started with only a few of the special rules, which helped, though they soon wanted to add in Dragons and bigger monsters. We've not really used magic users much yet in our games which may have kept things simpler too.

One last thing. Every time I play I think - "I wish I'd made some measuring sticks".
Much easier than having to get the tape measure out I reckon - especially for the children - so get some doweling cut to size before the first game if you can.

There's a few AARs on my blog if that helps:
http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Song%20of%20Blades%20and%20Heroes

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 12:47:25 PM »
TBH, the concepts are so simple that I expect your grandkids will get a grasp of the basics before you do (no offence intended) :o

By the cringe, I'll have ye eyes for that!
Actually, getting them handed to me by the bratoolas will be a given...
them using their low animal cunning and wotnot.

:'(
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:51:12 PM by Harry Faversham »