Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:26:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690779
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: OZLAM 2015  (Read 14640 times)

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: OZLAM 2015
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:55 AM »
Yes, I'd say keep it together even though I'd be no chance of making it to Sydney for it.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2014, 10:15:39 PM »
List added of those going; I have an idea that if we can get at least 10 members,OZLAM is a go :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 12:42:33 AM »
Rather than a separate event, I would advocate going into one or several of the larger events (Cancon, MOAB, Melbourne etc) but as a distinct entity (the LAF Zone) where the LAF people can spruik their games, demos and general LAFery without being exposed to the horrendous costs of staging.

As it becomes more successful and well-regarded, that's when you kick the trainer wheels off and go it alone.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 02:11:40 AM »
Rather than a separate event, I would advocate going into one or several of the larger events (Cancon, MOAB, Melbourne etc) but as a distinct entity (the LAF Zone) where the LAF people can spruik their games, demos and general LAFery without being exposed to the horrendous costs of staging.

I was present at MOAB and played Constable Bertrand's wonderful game along with Vladimir Raukov and I'd have to disagree that these events are ideal for a LAF get together. I believe their was no other takers to play Matt's game on the day, which was a real surprise to me, considering that it looked great and was a lot of fun.

Everyone else seemed too hung up on their Warhammer competition or grabbing a bargain from the B&B to bother, which is a real shame.

If we hold this as a LAF only event, we know all who attend are there to play games and have fun, amongst like minded individuals. We also get to talk shop. I don't see OZLAM as a place where we have to spruik for support or members, quite the opposite. I'd prefer a small dedicated group over a large gawking crowd any day.

As Guy has said, about 10 hands up and I reckon we are good to go.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 04:12:54 AM »
I doubt I would be able to attend, but think it's a great idea  :D

Cheers,

Barry

Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 06:03:35 AM »
List added of those going; I have an idea that if we can get at least 10 members,OZLAM is a go :)

Well, I'd like to officially put my hand up and commit to this. If it's happening in NSW I'll be there, with a game to play.

I was present at MOAB...

I agree with everything said here.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 06:15:44 AM »
Everyone else seemed too hung up on their Warhammer competition or grabbing a bargain from the B&B to bother, which is a real shame.

This.

I think the success of BLAM and other local LAF meets is to get people together for a laugh over a game.
People who like making terrain/games, and people who like looking at nice terrain up close. It provides an opportunity to try different rule sets and have fun.

With time and effort it takes to run a game/cart terrain across Australia, you'd want it to be used and enjoyed.

I would want the event to be as cheap as possible with a BYO to share attitude (I dont expect we are all made of money - thats why my scenery is made from lollypop sticks and foamcore), but perhaps a ticketing system would be good to enable us to plan games/approximate individuals to cater for.

The venue may also need a hire fee?! so a ticket could cover that - but a community hall may be cheaper than a RSL/PUB function room... unless someone has a big house/games room ;) Depending on people we could book a large house for a weekend and use the function room as a games room.

So my location checklist would include:
Close to airport (interstate/national?)
Quiet season/location - cheaper accomodation
Canberra? Goulburn? Sydney Suburbs? Dubbo/country town?

Cheers
Matt

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »
This.

I think the success of BLAM and other local LAF meets is to get people together for a laugh over a game.
People who like making terrain/games, and people who like looking at nice terrain up close. It provides an opportunity to try different rule sets and have fun.

Having attended several dedicated LAF meets or LAMs in both Britain and Germany, I'd say that sums it up perfectly. None of the LAF meets I've been to are remotely like a convention, show, or indeed a wargames club meet. They have all been so much better, in so many ways. I really hope you're able to get this together, because I think you'll find it well worth the effort.  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 08:28:19 AM »
Bit of a confused foreigner question for you chaps, but what does 'spruik' mean  ???

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »
Bit of a confused foreigner question for you chaps, but what does 'spruik' mean  ???

cheers

James

Verb

spruik (third-person singular simple present spruiks, present participle spruiking, simple past and past participle spruiked)

(transitive, Australia) To promote a thing or idea to another person.

WOW - didn't realise this was "Australian".

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
None of the LAF meets I've been to are remotely like a convention, show, or indeed a wargames club meet. They have all been so much better, in so many ways.

And this is exactly what I personally would want from our OZLAM too - something a cut above the typical. I can get that kind of company elsewhere.  :)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
Cheers Frank  :)

Interesting stuff and I've certainly never heard of it over here. I'm assuming it's pronounced as it's spelt?

cheers

James

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »
 Hyde Park speaker/orator would be a spruiker.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
Cheers Frank  :)

Interesting stuff and I've certainly never heard of it over here. I'm assuming it's pronounced as it's spelt?

cheers

James

You'd get by with Sprue - king (as in plastic sprue)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »
And this is exactly what I personally would want from our OZLAM too - something a cut above the typical. I can get that kind of company elsewhere.  :)

This :)

I want this to be a friendly meet up,with no stress, fun games; a 'LAF' meeting with all that, I believe that  entails.