Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:24:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modular Terrain Board Advice  (Read 9235 times)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Modular Terrain Board Advice
« on: September 03, 2008, 12:12:58 PM »
I am embarking on the daunting task of creating some desert/coastal/sea modular terrain boards and have a few questions for those in the know.

I'm considering using 12mm particleboard/chipboard over mdf or marine-ply - does anyone think this is a poor choice?

I can't afford the pink or blue high density insulation and so have opted for 20-30mm polystyrene foam. I have discovered that it comes in a "standard" grade and a "H" grade. Will the standard stuff be durable enough if I coat it with filla and paint?

Lastly do I need to edge my boards with wood to protect the foam or can I get by without it?

Thanks for your time
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Modular Terrain Board Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 12:16:23 PM »

Lastly do I need to edge my boards with wood to protect the foam or can I get by without it?

They will deteriorate very quickly if you don't protect the edges.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:43:42 PM »
How do you protect all the edges on a modular board? Just wondering. You obviously can't use anything with thickness, lest there'll be gaps between the pieces when you put them together.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
Duct tape, I believe, is traditional.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 02:25:45 PM »
Must confess I've always used the pink/blue foam which is higher density and has much more integrity than the old style white polystyrene. But yes it is a lot more expensive. Then again, it's much better stuff, so...  :?

If I were going to protect the edges (and I haven't really needed to on my small terrain pieces so far) I think I might look at the rolls of strip laminate edging they sell in big DIY stores to dress the edges of kitchen worktops... But that's just a thought on my part. Don't know how practical it would be. But I think you could choose some very nice edging effects that way, and it would be pretty robust. Guess the question is whether it would stick to polystyrene (hot glue or pink stuff?) and whether you can get it in depth adequate for the depth of your terrain boards.

I use 5mm MDF. It's thin, it's rigid and warp resistant, it's clean, smooth, and easily worked and (compared to chipboard) it's lightweight. And I think it's not much different in price. I'd recommend it unhesitatingly.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »
I'm going for Blue Foam. There is nothing agreeable with non-extruded styrofoam.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »
Hi,
I recently purchased some Orange (mid density) extruded  foam from B&Q here in the UK for a demo game my club has planned soon. 4 x1500mm x 500mmx 50mm boards were £20. Although this is a slightly smaller than the "traditional" 6ft x 4ft table size, they will fit easily in the boot of my car and are light enough for me to carry.

I had intended using MDF, but precut board worked more expensive (about £25) and needed to be fixed somehow together for our demo game (more money wich should be spent on figs and scenery!). The Orange foam will be secured with masking tape on the day to stop them "drifting" apart.

I plan to texture the foam with filler then paint, although I am toying with the idea of simply covering with a light textured wallpaper and painting and drybrushing the colour on so it matches my buildings.

I'll keep you posted as to how I get on, maybe some pix too.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:19:09 PM »
Here's a link to a site I like to visit for inspiration. I haven't started yet....

http://www.quindia.com/studioarticles.htm

DJ

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »
Here's a link to a site I like to visit for inspiration. I haven't started yet....

http://www.quindia.com/studioarticles.htm

DJ

Thanks - I have seen this site and studied it closely - it is a great tutorial. It is a similar technique to Gary Chalk's plans. I am interested in peoples thoughts on whether they think it necessary to edge or not?

Does anyone know about the "H" grade white polystyrene I mentioned?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »
At the very least I would use some masking tape around the edges. However careful you are these things still get knocked and chipped.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »
That tutorial is not bad at all! I will probably spend just a little bit more time on the detailing on my board.

Offline stormbird

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:36:56 AM »
Hi there

Not built mine yet , but I would line the edges with thin card board about same thickness as a A4 folder divider.

Cut it into strips slightly longer than the edge it will be fastened to and line up one corner glue it on with PVA [ this will harden it a little as well ] then butt the next strip up to the overlap at the next corner and work your way around the board then trim when dry.

Once it had stuck it can be painted with dilute PVA and will be quite strong.

regards Paul

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
Hi there,

momentarily I'm building a new gaming board myself. I'm using pink styrofoam, an 10mm MDF board as base and wood strips to protect the edges.

Have a look here:
Link to the post

The result seems to be very durable but a bit heavy. With the further pieces I'll try thinner wood for the edges and maybe thinner MDF as baseplate. But unfoprtunately I haven't found 15mm pink styrofoam yet...
Perhaps I'll try kind of sandwich architecture with cheap and light white styrofoam in addition to the good pink stuff...

Cheers
Monty
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 08:22:45 PM »
Never come accross H grade as a classifictaion, sorry.

A friend of mine has a board made purely from the white polystyrene, it's probably around 3-4" thick but isn't mounted on any wood at all. It's just cut into 2' squares and wrapped in duct tape. I have been amazed at how well it's stood up to gaming. The top is covered in filler and foliage and has integral hills on some of the pieces. It's been used fairly regularly for a couple of years and has suffered less damage than some of the more complex boards I've worked on. As long as you aren't intending to travel with it much it can be fine.

I wouldn't recommend chipboard though, the edges of it chip easily and it's rather thick and heavy for it's depth.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
Why not edge your white foam with the high density blue foam?
If you did a border 3 or 4 inches all around your white board it would protect the edge without adding weight and not cost you as much as a full blue foam board.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)