Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:50:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690528
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Want to make terrain board with trench for VSF - advice with style needed  (Read 7222 times)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
I want to make 30-30cm modular terrain board (my idea is to use corc tiles to construct battlefields) with 15mm scale trenches for my 15mm VSF. These should be russian trenches. So could you help me with ideas?

I dont want to use any barbed wire in VSF and dont want to make trench so complex lime in late WW1.

So what trenches will be suitable for VSF? American Civil War style, Boer War or Russo Japanese War style. I waht it to be simple like WW2 trench but with Victorian flavour.

Here is example of my Flame of War MG nest. Trench will be in this style.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
If your using cork layers for your board you can cut in your trenches, even if only one layer of cork to the base material. Any trench effect looks better if the "bottom" of the trench is lower than the "ground" level. You could even pain the trench in a "forced perspective" using color to make it look deeper.

The other option is sections of raised earthen walls to simulated trenches.
This is my version of a above ground trench feature:

http://armoredink.blogspot.com/2010/03/defense-entrenchments.html 
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
Are the trenches part of a pre-planed defensive line ? say around a fixed piont such as a port /town/other feature to be defened .
Then perhaps look at the Palmerson Forts and Martello Towers for ideas on brick and Stonework.
Maybe on the subject of trenchworks look to ACW =I have a great book called "Mr Lincoln's Forts -A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington by Benjamin Franklin Coolng and Walton h Owen bought for the princly sum of £1 off Amazon (I had it as a "recomended for you" and was expecting a paperback not about 300 or so large format pages) :)
gan canny kidder!

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Thanx for link and info.

Trenches are like from WWii. Russians outnumbered and to defend city they decide to build trenches and wait for reinforcements to fight enemy at thr open, because trench warfare is not a gentleman's way to fight :)
My tile consist of part 30cm MDF sheet (manually cutted) with cork. Trench ill be cutted from it :) I forgot to mention it in my first topic.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:39:19 PM by Fjodin »

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
Boy are you lucky.  I did exhaustive research for my as yet unfinished modular trench table.  Don't do it the way I did, it is time consuming, I may be too much of a perfectionist for my own good.  Plus I spent liberally on resin pieces for looks and such.

I've collected lots of links and pictures.  Start here perhaps:

http://musksminiatures.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/hows-this-for-a-trench-table/

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Thanx for link.

I'vs started making trench tile. Photos will be soon.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
I'd recommend gabions instead of trenches. You can buy ready made resin pieces for a reasonable price. The advantage of using pieces is you can change the arrangement of the defenses from game to game.

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Work in progress Day1

Dont try to find logic in what you see (cowboys fighting eact other and Piper plays some music)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:32:51 AM by Fjodin »

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist

Offline Muskie

• Scientist
  • Purple and Green are the only colours you need.
    • My Homepage
Not bad at all, looks rustic.  Not all bombed to hell yet.

Making the first tile is not hard, making all X is the problem.  X for me is 24... lol

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Looking good, but how wide is that?

For a real VSF look why not try Gas Lighting?

Don't want to have your chaps stumbling around in dark eh?

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
Tile 33mm square.

I've decided to make very simple tranch with no barbed wire.

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
Very nice very nice indeed -bit like a county park complete with cannon emplacements  ;)

Offline Fjodin

• Mad Scientist
I like ealy WW1 russian trenches and WW2 trenches without moonscape around them. Wheat field or field of green grass, bushes, trees, butterlys, birds singing.... and scar of trenches throug field and forest :)

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
It looks like you are basing the cork on mdf from the shots. I tried using cork as a base with no support once but I got too much curling and distortion. Cork probably would be the way to go for 15mm, though it's a bit more expensive than polystyrene, though the pink stuff is excellent and strong. You can also push terrain trees into it on small pins, which means you can make them with very little ground cover.