Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: LotR Army Questions/Thoughts  (Read 4237 times)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
LotR Army Questions/Thoughts
« on: November 25, 2014, 08:10:55 PM »
This has probably been a discussed topic a few times, but I am starting a Lord of the Ring army project and plan to use Dark Age time frame miniatures.  I plan to use Crusader Miniatures Normans for my Gondorians and Fiefdom troops.  I've been doing a lot of research online and reading the Lotr Wiki to get some ideas.  I love the movies, but I don't want plate armor - it doesn't feel right for the setting. 

The Orcs will most likely be from Sergeant Major Miniatures' Bloody Day fantasy range unless someone can point to a better range.  I was going to include some Easterlings too and was thinking Sassanid Persians would be the way to go with them and the Haradrim would be from Musketeer Miniatures (Foote Sore) line of Caliphates when/if they ever come back!

I am currently looking at using mass battle rules and will only be individually basing heroes and the like.  I will probably adapt Warmaster rules (since I already have the rulebook) but Crusader has Legions of Battle and I would love to hear feedback if Mayhem would also work.

Any suggestions on Black Numenorians and how to represent them using Dark Age era soldiers? 

General thoughts and suggestions on this project?

Offline Varangian

• Scientist
Re: LotR Army Questions/Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »
I think Mayhem would be awesome. It's what I plan to use for a 10mm LotR project.

I always appreciate Brent's take on wargaming ideas, so I'm all for picking them up to check out.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 09:36:20 PM »
Could be a neat project!

Black Numenoreans are somewhat fantastical, so I am not sure that a proper historical alternative is available?  At least not if you want to mimic the GW/Peter Jackson esthetic.

The black numenoreans were allied with the southrons and folks from harad et al.  Why not give them a more eastern look?  You could model them after Sassanid/Persian heavy cavalry and infantry (try Aventine)  Depending on how far back you want to go, if you want to model them after some more ancient figures, you could try assyrians as well from Foundry, perhaps with some light troops as Sea Peoples

Failing that, if you want a more dark ages look, you could try the Rus/Byzantines/Jomsvikings from Gripping Beast?
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »
 I have started on a project too using 1/72 scale figures.The sets i have been buying are from Emodels.

http://www.emodels.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=dark+alliance

The Half-orc sets released recently are great sets.

I will be using the Zvezda Castle kits for my games.

Got some of the miniatures cleaned off and based ready for painting.The Warg rider sets are nice too.There are loads of options in the historical ranges to use in gaming this setting.

Not too bad price wise either ;).

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
I have started on a project too using 1/72 scale figures.The sets i have been buying are from Emodels.

Never seen these before, do you have some pictures of them as the ones on the site aren't brilliant and how do they scale with the GW range?

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »
Could be a neat project!

Black Numenoreans are somewhat fantastical, so I am not sure that a proper historical alternative is available?  At least not if you want to mimic the GW/Peter Jackson esthetic.

The black numenoreans were allied with the southrons and folks from harad et al.  Why not give them a more eastern look?  You could model them after Sassanid/Persian heavy cavalry and infantry (try Aventine)  Depending on how far back you want to go, if you want to model them after some more ancient figures, you could try assyrians as well from Foundry, perhaps with some light troops as Sea Peoples

Failing that, if you want a more dark ages look, you could try the Rus/Byzantines/Jomsvikings from Gripping Beast?

Terrific ideas, thanks.  I've definitely been looking through the GB ranges.  I was thinking of saving the Byzantines for Men of Dale if I ever decide to move away from Gondor/Rohan.  Using the Assyrians is an idea I hadn't considered and I really like the Foundry range too.  They would look sinister with a dark color scheme.

I will be using the Zvezda Castle kits for my games.

Got some of the miniatures cleaned off and based ready for painting.The Warg rider sets are nice too.There are loads of options in the historical ranges to use in gaming this setting.

Not too bad price wise either ;).

That is a great idea, but I am going to stick with 28mm for this project - I've already ordered miniatures for it!  But, if I do redo the project those will be a terrific choice.

Never seen these before, do you have some pictures of them as the ones on the site aren't brilliant and how do they scale with the GW range?

They're 1/72 scale, so they'll be too small to look right with the GW range.

I think Mayhem would be awesome. It's what I plan to use for a 10mm LotR project.

I always appreciate Brent's take on wargaming ideas, so I'm all for picking them up to check out.

Thanks, I've been looking for a good review of Mayhem and haven't found anything yet.  I checked out the website and it seems like it would be a very good fit for what I have in mind.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:04 PM »

Will try to get some pictures over the weekend Giger.Doing larger battles in this scale should be easy and they are light weight too.Being softer plastic they wont break as easily as the plastic GW figures.Some of my GW one's have got broken swords and spears.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »
how about Perry crusades Muslims for Black Numenoreans? the armoured cavalry are great, there is also this pack of dismounted cavalry:

alternatively maybe punic war Numidians and Lybians.

At least one pack of the Perry crusaders are Normans, for men of Gondor.

Do you know Artizan's Carolingians? I've been thinking about those for Gondor myself.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 10:01:19 PM »
I went to Perry Miniatures' Norman range first, but decided to go with the Crusader Normans because I like the overall range better.  I do like their Muslim range however and that might really work for the Black Numenoreans. 

I am familiar with the Artizan Carolingians.  That's a terrific range, let me know how it works for you.

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »
How about Assyrians? Those long scale coats and the pointy helmets and big biblical beards look pretty exotic to me.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »
How about Assyrians? Those long scale coats and the pointy helmets and big biblical beards look pretty exotic to me.

Those had been suggested for Black Numenoreans, but I'm starting to think I like them for the easterlings.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 01:10:02 PM »
Teutonic Knights? Ornate armour, a little out of place for the rest of ME and appropriately so, those nice new plastic Fireforge sets and GB metals to work with.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 08:55:18 PM »
I've done some headswaps of Crusade teutonic knight with Westwind dark ages seperate heads, to make generic Evil Knights or Chaos Knights. It works very well. Full chainmail suit is the technological limit for me.
The old Grenadier high-elves have similar Norman style armour that I really like so it would make sense for a vulgar Black Numenor variaton.

Crusader miniatures are very nice. I use armoured Varangians with Irish axemen as Dunlendings.