Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Homemade Fleet-scale Aeronefs?  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
Homemade Fleet-scale Aeronefs?
« on: November 26, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
Hullo all,

Once my current painting project is done, I was thinking of diving into the world of Aeronef, which I understand is commonly played in 1:1200(ish) at fleet scale.

Currently, my vague plan is to get my hands on some 1:48 bomb kits, the Airfix 1:1200 "Sink the Bismarck" set, some Revell Hindenburgs and maybe some Poundland "Battleships" sets and kitbash some vaguely floatable-looking ships together.

Does anyone have any advice or inspiration they can send forth? At the moment I have the notion of using half a bomb as the underside of most of the ships & creating a superstructure out of plasticard & bits from the Airfix warships.

Cheers!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Homemade Fleet-scale Aeronefs?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »
Most 'nefs models tend towards smaller than surface floaters, so the Airfix, used full size, would tend to be monsters.

Using parts is more than apropos; I use many of the smaller turrets, of course, and the largest are good as 'monitors'.

Actually, the bombs are oft good for small 'digs. However, use as hulls is perfectly fine.

I'll hold back my usually tirade on the incredible usefulness of used handles: plastic cutlery, disposable shavers, etc.

Watch for low flyers lost in ground clutter! ;->=

Doug

PS Damn, Dampf, those are gorgeous!

Edit: Do you ever troll The Miniatures Page? Just search for Aeronef, and you get a fair number of hits, some with good suggestions, including Tony's there.  lol
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:22:55 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »
@ Dampfpanzerwagon: Thank you, that was both cool and informative!

Most 'nefs models tend towards smaller than surface floaters, so the Airfix, used full size, would tend to be monsters.

Using parts is more than apropos; I use many of the smaller turrets, of course, and the largest are good as 'monitors'.

Actually, the bombs are oft good for small 'digs. However, use as hulls is perfectly fine.

I'll hold back my usually tirade on the incredible usefulness of used handles: plastic cutlery, disposable shavers, etc.

Watch for low flyers lost in ground clutter! ;->=

Doug

PS Damn, Dampf, those are gorgeous!

Edit: Do you ever troll The Miniatures Page? Just search for Aeronef, and you get a fair number of hits, some with good suggestions, including Tony's there.  lol

I had no intention of using the Airfix hulls, just the various bits that come with them. The "Sink the Bismarck" set seemed the most cost-effective way of getting that level of variety. Now you mention it though, building some kind of super-dreadnought as a fleet centrepiece could be cool...

Monitors on their own, or as very large turrets on smaller hulls?

Small dirigibles might be useful - I will bear that in mind.

Please, go ahead - I haven't heard it before  :)

I will go check out TMP now, thanks!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »
I had no intention of using the Airfix hulls, just the various bits that come with them. The "Sink the Bismarck" set seemed the most cost-effective way of getting that level of variety. Now you mention it though, building some kind of super-dreadnought as a fleet centrepiece could be cool...

Beggars my mind, but don't let me inhibit you.  :D

Quote from: Ahistorian
Monitors on their own, or as very large turrets on smaller hulls?

I was thinking the latter; the large turrets by themselves almost look spacecraftish.

Small dirigibles might be useful - I will bear that in mind.

I know some of the Brigade Models 'digs models look like 3/4 of a bomb with a flat 'deck' for gunnery.

Please, go ahead - I haven't heard it before  :)

Nah, I never finish things I start. I'm a terrible example.

Well, here's a couple of bad phone piccies.

First, what started as a spaceship, because I found the usual battleship turrets just silly in 3D. I suppose ball turrets (these are Evil Empire[tm] carved sprue) makes 'nef-sense, a bit.

Then, much further developed, using several Bismarck pieces. Don't have an image of the beast with rudder fins made from bread bag closure. I love the curly edges...

Never snapped any of my plastic cutlery ships, but if you look at some of the flat, squared-off Brigade Models, you'll get the idea.

I will go check out TMP now, thanks!

Different atmosphere, mind you. Very 'merican...  lol

Doug

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 07:27:27 PM »
Yes, I jumped ship when Bill deverified me for no particular reason. LAF is much friendlier.  :D

Interesting thoughts on the DIY front, thank you. I will check out the £shops to see what I can see...

I will continue to ponder on how best to use the limited assets in my first wave of purchases  >:D

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:30:30 PM »
Yes, I jumped ship when Bill deverified me for no particular reason. LAF is much friendlier.  :D

I keep renewing my membership there, but I've given Alex a second donation in gratitude how much at home I feel here.

Interesting thoughts on the DIY front, thank you. I will check out the £shops to see what I can see...

Keep your eyes open for the really weird ideas; even plastic tooth picks and drink swivels can have uses.

I will continue to ponder on how best to use the limited assets in my first wave of purchases  >:D

Hope that scares your opponents, cuz it sure scares me!  :o

Happy gaming to you!  :D

Doug

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 09:27:35 PM »
Thanks Doug!

One problem which has just crossed my mind is how to base homemade miniatures in a stable way. Currently, I am considering drilling a small hole through their undersides and using epoxy to keep them on em4 clear hexagonal stands. Is this an appropriate way of doing things, or is there a more storage-friendly way of doing it?

Cheers,
Matt

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:36:57 AM »
Taking a tip from the vacchead crowd, being one proudly, rare earth magnets of unusual tininess can be your friend. One on the end of the flight stand, one in the balance point of the ship does wonders.

Ninja Magic made some specially that had little teeth so they'd keep the direction constant. Unfortunately, as with too many one man acts, Real Life [tm] got in the way, and he's regrouping, as well as trying plastic moulds as replacements.

If you can figure how to make a square hole in the ship, and a square peg on the end of the stand upright...

Star Ranger of Starship Combat News came up with a scheme using screw-on jewelry hardware, but I never gave it a try.

Doug

Edit: Just remembered some cocktail forks I got at a Dollar Tree (think of it, almost a third less than a £shop) with squared ends. I even cut one of the forks and put upright as stacks. As you can see with my other attempts, I'm a gentle self-critic, but it's not unthinkable as a steam launch.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:41:14 AM by The_Beast »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »
You might also want to take a gander at this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=72207.0

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »
@ Doug: Excellent point. I may have a few magnets left over from a 6mm project a few years ago.

@FramFram: Beautiful work, isn't it? It's one of my main inspirations!

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 02:48:15 PM »
@FramFram: Beautiful work, isn't it? It's one of my main inspirations!

HOW DID I MISS THIS!!!

I've several of the weapon sets waiting workups as spaceships, but plenty to spare for this madness!  :-*

Now, I've a large dent in me noggin' from face-palming...

Doug

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
Ahistorian, take a look at what a few pennies, no talent can accomplish...

Aeronef Sticky Post

Doug

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 09:49:41 AM »
Nice work, I'll have to grab some forks next time I'm at the poundstore!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 11:06:25 PM »
Well, here's a couple of bad phone piccies...

Then, much further developed, using several Bismarck pieces. Don't have an image of the beast with rudder fins made from bread bag closure. I love the curly edges...

Good lord The_Beast - I posted this on January 24th, 2011 - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=25479.msg312517#msg312517- best part of 4 years ago!

OK, the spelling was so bad you may not have even realised the point was a request for a photo of a razor-handle aeronef.