Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:15:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mixed Architecture in Europe & Mediterranean  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Mixed Architecture in Europe & Mediterranean
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:31:21 AM »
Hi,I've never been to Europe or the Mediterranean. So, I'm going off of speculation and what I've heard from others.

I'm hoping someone who actually lives in either area can give me some modeling advice.

I'm wondering how much of a mix of different buildings from different eras are found next to each other in modern times.

In other words, if I make a Medieval German church model circa 1350AD and place it next to a Government building built in 1785AD and they are nestled in between some shops built in 1904, will that look right?

If I make Sicilian buildings from the 18th Century, will they still be standing around during Operation Husky in 1943?

I'm trying to make terrain buildings that are useable in later periods as well but need some guidance as to the 'reality' of that arrangement.

Thoughts?
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Mixed Architecture in Europe & Mediterranean
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 07:34:55 AM »
Unfortunately you are correct, which means that here in Malta you get an 18th century fort dwarfed by high rise buildings :D

Ok, ranting apart, yes, you are correct, at least for the bits of Italy I have visited and for Malta, where I live. Nothing much Gothic though.
To give an example, in WWII naval and AA guns were mounted in Fort St Elmo, which had been previously refurbished by the Knights of Malta in the late 16th century and early 17th; and the War Room, where you had RAF plotters guiding defending fighters, was deep beneath the bastions of Valletta. You can still find photos of Beaufighters in pens by a runway with a baroque church in the background and rubble walls in the foreground. Much of the same applies to Sicily: the town of Modica, for example, has several baroque buildings which survived a huge flood, an earthquake and are still there today, and therefore would have been there in WWII. They also have great chocolate...   :-*
Hope this helps. 

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 07:45:39 AM »
Where I live there is a fortified Peel Tower started in the 12th century and added to through the centuries and which is now being converted into a hotel/resaurant.  Several of the farms date back to the 16/17 Centuries, a few of the bridges are very old though I'm not sure how old.  Then there are the usual mix of stone built village houses, hosing developments from 19th to 21st Centuries.

The chapel in the "old graveyard" dates back to 860AD though it is a bit delaptated now! The "new chapel" is its 15th century replacement and the church on the high street is 18th Century, next door are Victorian shops, over the road is a 17th century row of cottages a 21st century library and a 16th century Inn with a couple of 20th century housing developments.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »
I think it is safe to say that in all old citis of Europe it is perfectly alright to mix architecture from various ages. The frenzy to tear down whole blocks or townships really did not pick up speed until after the war (although people like Mussolini etc. had ideas to that effect back in the 20ies).