Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:39:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons Sneak Peak: Twisted Fate Deck  (Read 5650 times)

Offline Breten

• Librarian
    • Calgary Gaming Forum
Strange Aeons Sneak Peak: Twisted Fate Deck
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:06:30 AM »
Sorry to be flooding the forum.  >:D  I promise, no more after this, I'm off to bed.

Here's some shots of the Twisted Fate Deck.  At the beginning of your turn, you draw a card, that has in in-game effect.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
Re: Strange Aeons Sneak Peak: Twisted Fate Deck
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 01:28:02 AM »
That is a really great dice bag you have there, where did you get it?

Offline Breten

• Librarian
    • Calgary Gaming Forum
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 02:18:56 AM »
My girlfriend made it.  She's put a few of them together.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:19:00 AM »
I'm still very interested in this deck...

How many cards are there?  Are they all unique or are there duplicates card types?

I'd like to hear some more of the card titles.  Just some of the titles, not the effects.

The diverse nature of being able to play hidden whammy's on your foes is really getting me excited. :P
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:24:58 AM »
Nice clear design on the cards. I like the layout of title, flavour text, rules. Do the cards have to be played the turn the are recieved or can a player build a hand? If so is there a maximum hand size?

(Off -topic I'd be interested to hear if there is magic al la Coc spells in the game.)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 10:29:10 AM »
My girlfriend made it.  She's put a few of them together.

Crack the whip and get her making loads more, then put one in each initial release of the game  lol

The cards look very good. I like the use of cards etc to simulate the effects of unforeseen events in games. Presumably there are plenty of "no effect" cards, or the game might get swamped by too many events. Too much is worse than not enough.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 05:08:10 PM »
The Twisted Fate card deck contains 24 playable cards. 8 types repeated 3 times each. The titles of the cards are as follows: Lurking Fear, Target Practice, Double Time, Overly Cautious, Bad Luck!, Killing Machine!, Divine Intervention and Out Of Bullets! Cards can be played in any turn after you pick 'em up. Max. of 3 cards in your hand at a time. There are no 'no effect' cards...rather 'Bad Luck' cards are present to screw your opponent out of using one of his.

Also, yes. There is magic and spells. 12 Basic Spells and 6 Evil Spells...not to mention a plethora of magic artifacts to quest after. We have been working hard to make Strange Aeons capitol 'E' for Eldritch.

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 06:02:11 PM »
Lions Tigers and Bear oh my....

Magic Spells Artifacts Cards and a point build system.

Ok you just sold me.  Sounds like there's enough "meat" to make it worth the purchase.

Mu ha ha ha ..... ;D

Offline Breten

• Librarian
    • Calgary Gaming Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 08:12:15 PM »
If I can find some Cthulhu influenced material, I'll get her on them.

As far as the cards, you roll a die at the beginning of the game, and if either player rolls a 1 or a 6, the deck is used. 

It can get pretty crazy, and you can stack cards, but we finds it adds a bit of mayhem to a game. 

So if you are looking for an extremely tactical game, where you can plan everything out, it won't be this one.  This is a fun skirmirsh pulp horror game.  You can plan things out as much as you want, but sometimes things go wrong. 

I had been spending all the extra points and skills on my Character to make him a spell caster, and then on an injury he became a Basket Case, which means he can't cast spells anymore.  He becomes better in HtH, but he wasn't kitted out for that.  I managed to pull it around and made him more combat oriented.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
If I can find some Cthulhu influenced material, I'll get her on them.

As far as the cards, you roll a die at the beginning of the game, and if either player rolls a 1 or a 6, the deck is used. 

It can get pretty crazy, and you can stack cards, but we finds it adds a bit of mayhem to a game. 

So if you are looking for an extremely tactical game, where you can plan everything out, it won't be this one.  This is a fun skirmirsh pulp horror game.  You can plan things out as much as you want, but sometimes things go wrong. 

I had been spending all the extra points and skills on my Character to make him a spell caster, and then on an injury he became a Basket Case, which means he can't cast spells anymore.  He becomes better in HtH, but he wasn't kitted out for that.  I managed to pull it around and made him more combat oriented.

Thanks for the explanations, Breten and Uncle Mike, these cards should be a big plus. Drawing a card on a 1 or 6 seems about right for frequency of events. Having a "hand" of cards is also good, as you can try and gain some control over things [assuming you have luck in drawing the right cards, I suppose]. I see you use words like "fun", "mayhem" and "crazy" - they all tick the right boxes for me!

I love it when plans go wrong due to outside influences - after all it gives a good excuse for losing the game, and I usually need every excuse I can find  lol

Now all you need to do is sell the whole package for less than $10.00 and it will be perfect ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 10:37:46 AM »
Drawing a card on a 1 or 6 seems about right for frequency of events.

If I've understood this correctly, it's not every turn, you roll the dice - it's once per game. If the 1 or 6 is rolled, you draw cards every turn of the game, otherwise you do not use the deck at all. BUT, of course you can alter this for your own games  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »
Drawing a card on a 1 or 6 seems about right for frequency of events.

If I've understood this correctly, it's not every turn, you roll the dice - it's once per game. If the 1 or 6 is rolled, you draw cards every turn of the game, otherwise you do not use the deck at all. BUT, of course you can alter this for your own games  ;)

Hmm, yes, on re-reading the post you are right. I'll certainly start off using the "official" method and I'm sure it has been well tested, but I'd be tempted to use my own misreading. We'll see  :)

Offline Breten

• Librarian
    • Calgary Gaming Forum
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
Yep, that's right.  The game is a blast on it's own, but the cards add a fun twist to the game.  Personally I always want to use the cards as they are a blast.