Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:15:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jagannath's 15mm Sci Fi (More additions to the space opera cast! 7/4/20)  (Read 36876 times)

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
Re: Jagannath's 15mm Sci Fi (More additions to the space opera cast! 7/4/20)
« Reply #330 on: April 15, 2020, 04:41:30 PM »
This alien was a bold choice of colors but he works great!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #331 on: April 15, 2020, 10:57:27 PM »
Ah thanks all, kind words.

I think I  might go on a bit of a terrain kick next - need to make some more bits for the shop really, and I've got a hankering for some western style shenanigans in a duty settlement.

I just treated myself to a start-to-finish re-read of this thread. I love all the variety in terms of characters you've amassed with your collection. Seeing your bounty hunters rub shoulders with civilians, hulking aliens and space police really gets my juices flowing. It does amuse me to thing that you wish the RT adventurers were available in 15mm - I keep thinking the opposite with some of those 15mm sculpts - I wish they were 28mm!!

I do particularly like your tall pink crustacean alien from this latest batch :)

Oh that's brave  it's pretty ropey at the start of this thread!

:o

More awesome stuff... I really should try this Heroforge thingy. Good job!

If you do, it's really important to play with the proportions - I made that mistake at first and wasted a few minis. It's really reinvigorated my hobby though - I'm happy to pay more for minis that are exactly as I want them to be!

This alien was a bold choice of colors but he works great!

Cheers - horrible to photograph though, the painting is a fair bit more nuanced and subtle than it looks.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
That Alien is excellent! Love the different hues on the guy, really works with his rotund nature  lol

Also I heard that the heads on heroforge figs can come out too large in 15mm when scaled down but that doesn't seem to be too big of an issue with your minis. Certainly helps identify the different characters.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #333 on: April 16, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
That Alien is excellent! Love the different hues on the guy, really works with his rotund nature  lol

Also I heard that the heads on heroforge figs can come out too large in 15mm when scaled down but that doesn't seem to be too big of an issue with your minis. Certainly helps identify the different characters.

So the problem I found (for my taste) when I first started experimenting was that 15mm minis are really not 'realistically' proportioned so when you scale down a 'normal' heroforge minis (down to about 45%) it just looks wrong. So I made their heads bigger, their height an absolute minimum then only scale them down 68% - which keeps them chunky. Their basically all Heroforge hobbits, scaled down a bit. On screen they look a bit daft (their heads look significantly bigger) but I think that's true of all digital renders: 'realsitic' won't look good as a mini.

I also keep their poses as close to singel piece casting posing as I can, so they fit into my collection well.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #334 on: April 19, 2020, 05:50:15 PM »
Lovely work Jag truly nice. ;)
Keep it up
Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z