Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:36:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jagannath's 15mm Desert Fantasy (Bandits! 6/1/19)  (Read 24886 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Jagannath's 15mm Desert Fantasy (Bandits! 6/1/19)
« on: August 05, 2017, 05:05:04 PM »
Hi all,

This project's been on the slow burner for a while (a group for it was one of my first LPL entries) but I've been kicked into action thanks to Michael over at Angel Barracks/Crom's Anvil's excellent stuff.

It's not really intended as a Conan project (though I have painted one up) - it's a persian desert, meets Far Harad, meets Arabian Nights, meets heroic Greek thing. Sort of human-centric, desert ancients fantasy. The honest answer is I'm not entirely sure what it will entail, I'm just gathering up some minis for it and seeing where it takes me.

So the first group I've show off a couple of times:

Forged in Battled picts painted as vaguely arab desert raiders. These will work as raiders/attackers in RPG type games and also as a force for some LOTR SBG based games I want to play. I've got another equal sized group on the painting table at the mo.

The next two are just adventure type characters - A Conan-esque barbarian from Copplestone (with a tiara/crown thing, bracelet and necklace sculpted on for no good reason) and an aged barbarian, out of place in the hot desert. I've got a camel, daughter and tag-along monk to finish painting that will accompany this guy. 'Scuse the picture - I'm having real trouble getting good pictures at the moment, so had to do some weird stuff in post production to get it vaguely viewable.

I've also been scouring every 15mm manufacturer going for ancient civilians (roman, greek and generic - trying to avoid trousers) and have a fairly good mix now - those will all get prepped and primed this weekend, then I can paint them one at a time at leisure. I've also bought the excellent temple from Crom's Anvil - now I just want some good, not medieval, skeletons!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 12:13:16 AM by Jagannath »

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Jagannath's 15mm Desert Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
 :o Hate you...

These are better than my 28s!

Please keep us updated with this as it look ace.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 08:56:07 PM »
These are terrific! The Picts work well as desert raiders, and the colour schemes are lovely.

I recently read Night's Master by Tanith Lee, which is heavily influenced by the Arabian Nights. There might be some inspiration there for fantasy ideas in an pseudo-Arab setting.For example, she has minor demons called the Drin, which combine some of the characteristics of the Norse dwarfs with a peculiar attachment to arthropods - but still manage to fit in nicely to the Arabesque setting.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:05:50 PM »
Thanks matey.

I'll have to check it out - il working my way through the first of the a Dream of Eagles series, which I'm really enjoying, but it's not helping me keep my enthusiasm up for desert fantasy... it just makes me want to paint Picts (as actual Picts)!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 09:14:06 PM »
Brilliant painting on awesome models, even the small greenstuff modifications look great!
I totally love this!!!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
Thanks Florian - still got a fair chunk to do before this project finds its feet and I'm distracted by other things again!

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 04:32:16 AM »
now I just want some good, not medieval, skeletons!

Try the Decians from Battle Valour... They are medieval but many are just bare bones, literally!
http://www.battlevalorgames.com/decians.aspx

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »
The =59679&cat[]=59856]Chariot skeletons from Magister Militum might be reasonably close, as they are generally just bones and rags. The only hint of anachronism is that some of the sword hilts appear to be basketed (and polearms and scythes might have to be clipped into spears). But the shields are very much "ancient", and the archers look the part. Despite the illustrations on the site, there are variants in each pack (shields, poses). They also have chariots, which fit the "ancients" theme.

I've got some speed-painted examples on my thread.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 09:45:54 AM »
Thanks Florian - still got a fair chunk to do before this project finds its feet and I'm distracted by other things again!

I know that feeling. I just had a 15mm VSF run, which I posted just two days ago, and now have to pack my stuff because I'm moving to another town. So I fear now painting until September for me...:(

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I think Hibgobkin might be the winner here - those Magister Militum ones are great, and definitely have a bit more of an ancients vibe. I always forget about the Blood Dawn range - they're not absolutely massive are they?

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 10:05:22 AM »
These are brilliant. I look forward to seeing more!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »
Thanks everyone.

I think Hibgobkin might be the winner here - those Magister Militum ones are great, and definitely have a bit more of an ancients vibe. I always forget about the Blood Dawn range - they're not absolutely massive are they?

Here's a comparison pic - with a (crouching) Copplestone barbarian and a Demonworld barbarian. These are the Chariot ones rather than the Blood Dawn ones, so are significantly smaller (and spindly rather than chunky, which suits skeletons, I think). To my eye, they're perfectly scaled with the Copplestone barbarian - they could be the bones under his meat. He is crouching quite significantly, which lends them height.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Their Orcs are pretty large, though okay if you like your orcs like in Warcraft or Warhammer and the dwarfs are pretty big (bit afaik still okay with Copplestone). The rest is pretty well scaled with modern big 15mm a.k.a. 18s.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
Than so both - gotcha Hobgoblin, Chariot not Bloodawn. I'll take a look this afternoon - got a lovely temple from Crom's Anvil that's begging for a dark priest and some skeletons. 

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
Boy, those Picts work surprisingly well for their new role, don't they?  Clever repurposing there.  Lovely paint jobs too.