Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thick or thin?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Thick or thin?
« on: September 16, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »
Having some time on my own, I found myself fiddling among the lead mountain assembling and painting some lose ends ;D. I don’t know for others but for me it seem that the definition of a wargamer include an inability to stay focus on one project lol. Right now on my desk I have figures for the War of Spanish Succession, ACW, WWI, WWII, a few Pirates and a dozen of SWAT members and Police Officers…. Oh! and a mounted Napoleonic Officer almost finish but waiting for the base to be done :o!

Most of the up-cited figures are singly based and all are 28mm. Some are based on Litko 1.5mm, 20mm round plywood base, some are based on Canadian 5 cent and other on GW style round bases… Having a look thru this little piece of chaos I was wondering what kind of bases do others gamers prefer? Thick or thin? It seem now that the vibe is on skirmish style games like .45, LotHS, LotW and so on. Personally I prefer the thinner bases but I know that some people prefer GW style bases or event thicker ones ( no pun intended… lol) So, I decide to make a post of this rumbling and asked you how do you prefer your figures to be based on? And why is that so?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Thick or thin?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »
I use variable base thickness as a way of regulating the height of my miniatures as needed. It makes mixing miniatures of different sizes somewhat easier (while I'd like all my figures to be 28mm, there's no helping the fact that some are 25mm and others 30mm).

The variation in base thickness doesn't bother me a bit. It used to, then I got over it.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Bookman1960

• Assistant
  • I'm a Librarian... Madam!
Washers for Me!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 10:01:29 PM »
I have based everything I've been colelcting on washers of various diameters.  I purchase them from local hardware store for a very cheap price.

I like the way the figures look on washers, as they sir much closer to the terrain.

Now if I could just resign myself to a basing effect that I was happy with...

KB

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:38:08 PM »

Washers  :D

Here's last week's debate on the same topic...  ;)

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7368.msg81932#msg81932

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:34:45 PM »

I have read this post but I’m talking specifically about the height of the bases peoples use. What would you consider being too high? I think that thinner base blend in the figure more effectively on the table but I know some others like to have higher base to be able to grab them without touching the figures…

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 10:15:39 AM »
I think the thickness of the base is pretty undiscernable between a washer, a coin or a bit of mdf.

Clearly, the different approach is the slotta, and it seems to me that people either love or hate slottas, depending on whether they've entered the hobby via GW or not via GW. People who started out on space marines or goblins often carry on with slottas when they branch out into non-GW genres. People who start out in Napoleonics, ancients, or other 'historical' wargaming genres almost certainly wouldn't start using slottas when moving into single figures for more lead adventure style gaming...

A base which gives the figure a bit of weight, sits flat on the table, and blends in with the surrounding scenery, seems to me to be immeasurably better in asthetic terms, than a shiny, lightweight plastic plinth which raises the figure up and out of its setting.

But plenty of people who grew up with slottas are addicted, and therefore blind to these obvious defects.  ;)  lol

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »

I have read this post but I’m talking specifically about the height of the bases peoples use. What would you consider being too high? I think that thinner base blend in the figure more effectively on the table but I know some others like to have higher base to be able to grab them without touching the figures…

I prefer bases that are slightly thicker than steel sheet, but not as thick as slottas. Pennies, precut MDF bases and beer mats are about right. Just enough so you can easily use them to pick the figure up, but not thick enough to look like a statue's plinth. I never, repeat never, paint the edge of the base a different colour to the base itself [as per GW standing orders], as this cuts the figure off from the underlying terrain and looks too artificial. In my opinion, of course. Others love this style of basing, so fair enough.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 12:36:41 PM »
A base which gives the figure a bit of weight, sits flat on the table, and blends in with the surrounding scenery, seems to me to be immeasurably better in asthetic terms, than a shiny, lightweight plastic plinth which raises the figure up and out of its setting.

But plenty of people who grew up with slottas are addicted, and therefore blind to these obvious defects.  ;)  lol

lol

As I wrote in the aforementioned thread I'm going for the mixed base option - having received a pack of 10 perfect British 25mm washers from the Cap'n - I'm still going to use slottas for minis made for those (I do not care for removing pins and glueing minis to bases, only touching with their footsoles)...

I think flatter looks better, though!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
Steel washers, pennies, thin MDF, plasticard, thin over thick any day.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »
I'll happily use either, but I like to keep a whole "force", army, gang, whatever in the same style, or it just looks a bit too weird for me.

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
Coins and washers for me - nice and consistent, nice low profile on the table.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »
Slotted bases for me. Of course I use these for my warhammer armies, but I carried it on through my other games as well (though all those figures originally came with slotted bases as well. I hate mixing different bases so I don't think I'll ever change. Also, the bases make the figures I use look a bit taller and fit better with 1:43 vehicles.
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline cwchmc

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »
I use slottas or washers depending on how the fig is made. Sometimes I use a US penny if I want something smaller than my standard 1" washer. I happily mix the two just as I mix different manufacturers. Its never bothered me.

Chuck

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 03:52:20 PM »
I used to be a big slotta fan, being brought up on Rogue Trader, and I carried on using them when I switched to historicals. But then came a time when I was having difficulty fitting figures into boats and such, so I started using 1p pieces.

I like the look of both, and circumstances mean that I have the two mixed up in some of my units, but I don't mind that. If you look carefully at the Masai I posted pics of this week, you will see four of them are on slottas. They are older figures and were the last four slotta-based figures I did (other than ones that come with a slotta, I really can't be bothered with cutting off the tab to glue a figure to a penny when it already comes with its own base).

The thing I don't like doing is mixing my WAB/LOTR-style figures with their black rims with figures on pennies. I paint the slottas to blend in with everything else, and you don't even really notice that they are on slottas when you do that.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 04:43:08 PM »
Slottas, washers don't really care if its not got a slotta it gets put on a washer if it has then I leave it alone.  :D

Dodge