Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:29:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Empress Royal Artillery any good for the Sudan?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Empress Royal Artillery any good for the Sudan?
« on: January 30, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi,

I'm going a converted vignette of the Camel Corp- it will consist of the following pics (please see below).

I need some troopers to be walking/riding with the camel gun train. Would Empress Miniatures do at a pinch? Are the  uniforms are the same as those used in the Sudan? Or could be painted in as the same. Or any minor conversion work that would be required? I suppose the officer would be reasonably ubiquitous in his uniform for both theaters of war?

I also need crates for carrying the ammunition?

As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've included pics of the Empress range with the pics of what I have so far for the camel train:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Empress Royal Artillery any good for the Sudan?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »
Camel Corps artillery were supposedly dressed like the rest of the Camel Corps. Grey serge frocks, cord breeches, dark blue puttees and helmets with a puggaree. Fair bit of converting needed to get to that from these figures (the puttees are obviously the tricky part).

There are some illustrations showing the odd fellow in traditional R.A. blue trousers with a stripe, though.

For non-Camel Corps artillery all you'd need to do to get away with these would be to get rid of the cuff lace and trouser stripes, give them a puggaree and paint them the same as your infantry (while painting the officers the same as your cavalry). The guns used at Suakin were carried by camels, but they were not of the Camel Corps. So this easier option would be correct for that campaign, but if you want to depict the actual Camel Corps of the Desert Column you have a bit more work on your hands.

I think the Officer in the Blue Patrol Jacket would probably be okay. Haven't seem many pics (and no photos) of those, but they were so ubiquitously and habitually worn by officers during this period that it would be churlish of anyone to question it if they saw it on a model.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:18:45 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Empress Royal Artillery any good for the Sudan?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:11:27 AM »
Camel Corps artillery were supposedly dressed like the rest of the Camel Corps. Grey serge frocks, cord breeches, dark blue puttees and helmets with a puggaree. Fair bit of converting needed to get to that from these figures (the puttees are obviously the tricky part).

There are some illustrations showing the odd fellow in traditional R.A. blue trousers with a stripe, though.

For non-Camel Corps artillery all you'd need to do to get away with these would be to get rid of the cuff lace and trouser stripes, give them a puggaree and paint them the same as your infantry (while painting the officers the same as your cavalry). The guns used at Suakin were carried by camels, but they were not of the Camel Corps. So this easier option would be correct for that campaign, but if you want to depict the actual Camel Corps of the Desert Column you have a bit more work on your hands.

I think the Officer in the Blue Patrol Jacket would probably be okay. Haven't seem many pics (and no photos) of those, but they were so ubiquitously and habitually worn by officers during this period that it would be churlish of anyone to question it if they saw it on a model.

As usual sir, you are a font of knowledge and good for me and my little project  8) 8) 8)

Thanks Plynkes  :)

Darrell.