Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Great British (and general) post-apoc streets inspiration blog.  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Great British (and general) post-apoc streets inspiration blog.
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:30:01 AM »

https://shopfrontelegy.wordpress.com/

I’ve always been transfixed by typography, and as soon as I got to art school, I started taking photos of lettering I liked, which tended to be on crappy old shop fronts. I still remember the reaction of a photography tutor when I put on a slide show consisting mainly of bits of text found on decaying signs. Although the other students seemed to appreciate it, and even found some of the images amusing, the tutor – a highly regarded nature photographer – was completely bewildered. He simply couldn’t understand why anyone would bother with such boring images, and suspected I was taking the mick. I, meanwhile, was genuinely surprised that he couldn’t see the beauty in these fragments of communication: formal compositions of shape and colour, constructed from words which lent them a narrative. To me, they were compelling urban tales which deserved noticing and recording, and so I continued undeterred.

I can't be the only one that finds this blog endlessly fascinating(?) funny how many east london one I recognised from my time there, plus there's even one from my small westcountry town!
Are these pictures eerily resonant with non Brits or do they look "foreign" to your eyes?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Great British (and general) post-apoc streets inspiration blog.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:16:39 AM »
Interesting stuff and it still baffles me why some of these are left to rack and ruin  :(

There's quite a few near my work, still in use but knackerd beyond belief (got to love Brixton  :-X).

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:50:59 AM »
I like the Beldam Asbestos Co. Asbestos,  it's the building material of the future!

You should see the North East of England, the deterioration even since I've been here is sad to see.

I work in a Conservation Area which is all old Victorian streets. Some of the buildings have amazing details once you look past the boards,  scaffolding and hoardings.

There are also loads of derelict Victorian terraces awaiting clearance. I really should get some photos before they go as they are spot on for UK post apoc.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:13:05 PM »
I should add that it's got me hankering for an old butcher/grocer sign for the kitchen!

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
....Are these pictures eerily resonant with non Brits or do they look "foreign" to your eyes?

Other than the wording on the signage, they could be in most any American urban center built in the early 1900s.

Very inspirational, thanks for posting this.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 08:53:30 PM »

some sort of mystical headquarters?
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »
Good stuff. This must have been the home of someone very rich with pretensions of being a latin country gentleman  at one stage. When the rich left the urban centres these mansions passed into other hands. See it in a lot of UK cities. Be interesting to see who had lived there over the years.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 10:25:37 PM »

some sort of mystical headquarters?

According to the site it was briefly a Jewish newsagents in the 20's (If my memory serves me) I used to walk by there fairly regularly when I worked in east london!

Offline inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »
"Chainstore massacre"
"Quality clothes at slaughtered prices" ;D
Minima maxima sunt