Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:41:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690878
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cilician Pirates - 2 more pirates converted 06/11/17  (Read 26568 times)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Re: Cilician Pirates - How they looked like ?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 02:32:21 PM »
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 02:39:46 PM »
Ah, the newbies!  lol
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 04:07:53 PM »
Ah, good old Plutarch is it again. Pirate kings of the Mediterranean on their gilt-sail vessels. :D

You could well run with that and depict Cilician pirates as regular soldiers. The already mentioned thureophoroi or imitation legionaries (by Crusader, Gripping Beast, Aventines, to name but a few) will work perfectly as well as any light trooper of the Hellenistic or Republican Roman period. Add a flamboyant mix of Near Eastern/North African cultures, fled slaves and such, and you get a very cool-looking force.

Or you could go for a probably less biased perspective and represent Cilicians as ordinary men from ordinary coastal communities, who made a living on that thin line between trade and robbery. In the first century BC most people inhabiting the eastern Mediterranean were pretty much hellenised, i.e. they would at least dress like Greeks. Just sleeveless or sleeved tunics but no fancy haircuts and no trousers, both deemed Persian/barbarian fashion. Shoes were optional, especially if you didn't intend to walk inland; actually, one's better off without on slippery decks. Again, most fleet-footed skirmisher figs might fit the bill then.
Phrygian caps are purely conjectural as well but add a nice 'eastern' look, if you're so inclined. Thracian miniatures (again Crusader or Foundry have a good choice) could be a source.
Regarding weaponry, only Romans managed to fight land battles at sea. It was probably much preferable to decimate a trader's crew from a distance or even shoot them into submission before closing in, since (most) Cilician vessels most likely were merchantmen or liburnian-types rather than full-blown warships with a considerable number of soldiers aboard. If there were inland raids (can't remember if such are mentioned), I reckon they would better be fast-moving, too, in order to avoid an encounter with local garrison forces. Therefore I'd assume that only a small percentage of men would be heavily equipped, most wielding missile weapons.

Just to emphasise to what others already said, of course. :) I would like either approach. And if you can dig up some more information it'd be greatly appreciated for there is pitifully little research of that topic.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »
Mad Doc Morris, thanks for the information and both points of viewing the subject.
I´m more inclined for the mix of escaped slaves and variety of "helenistic" people in the mediterranean for that gives me more choice of a more "flamboiant" aspect on the miniatures.
Having 2 or 3 figures mixed with small trousers wouldnt be to wrong in my opinion but i have to agree with both you and Nervisfr for the tunics and head band.
I want the crew as less armoured as possible with the odd miniature with more protection. I dont want them with a soldiers aspect, by the oposite.

The idea is to have a small cilician crew of pirates both acting on landing raids and in sea fight. I would say between 10 to 16 miniatures opting for the more helenistic look but also with the mix of cultures and the odd slave who joined the crew (gaul, german, etc).
About weapons i was thinking on javelins and spears as the main ones and some swords and axes (varied) plus 2 or 3 archers.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
Cool. 8)

Bear in mind, though, that northern people had stopped walking down to Asia well before the 1st century BC. Stupid Roman border controls and that. And any Germanic or Celtic slave reaching the far, far eastern Mediterranean (at all) was probably stripped of his 'national' garment by then.

You could, however, include a couple of slaves from the local mines (a traditional trade in these parts) who had to work (half) naked, thereby exposing all kinds of barbarian tattoos. Maybe they'd got no time to 'take cover' since their escape? ::)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 05:21:57 PM »
the most easy way to use is the guys in loincloth/nudes...

They can go every where, in any continents.......

lol

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 05:25:10 PM »
The aspect i want to make on the minis is not exactly the one of their origins but the blond hair and the tatoos are still there.
For example the viking berserker i´ve putted can have is hair blond and the rest is captured equipment.
Even the trousers are not very important for he can still have them since is capture.

Well Eric, you have a point there. Naked ones suit almost everything :D

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 06:04:29 PM »
And that one ?

i have the goal to get them for my Rome project and i think they can fit the job (or some references form their range at Griping Beast)

http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=218

or this Picts

Cheers
Eric
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 06:07:12 PM by nervisfr »

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
Eric, not bad but i probably go for some barechested figures and some in tunics with short sleeves.
i will also add 3 or 4 in armour (probably scale armour) and leather protections.
Still waiting for some mad inspiration.

Those are great references for the roman gangs. :)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 08:15:48 AM »
So, you.ll need irish light infantry.
Bare chest, long short, sleveless jacket

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 04:47:15 PM »
From the book of Alix "La marine Antique" :

Pirates and Julius Caesar

Now Rui, you have no excuses to don't rush into your Cilician Pirates Project  !

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2015, 11:30:02 PM »
Now Rui, you have no excuses to don't rush into your Cilician Pirates Project  !

You devil... >:D

I must first paint a few more roman gangers and only then paint some pirates.

Although Alix is not the best source i agree it gives a lot of ideas.
I have a lot of books but not that one. :?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 11:54:27 PM »
Marvellous image! That got my Google-fu working , a quick search found lots of info and showed a great looking series of inspirational books. Are they available in English? :P

From the book of Alix "La marine Antique" :

Pirates and Julius Caesar

Now Rui, you have no excuses to don't rush into your Cilician Pirates Project  !

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 12:02:15 AM »
I think Alix is translated in almost all languages so english is for sure.
Try to find them in Amazon.

Beware though, Alix gives you a lot of ideas but not all presented on his books is historically right.
A little investigation is sometimes needed.

Any help needed just pm or place here.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:04:38 AM by rumacara »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 12:04:41 AM »
Rui, Google tells me that only 2 were translated into English. Quelle Horreur!  ;)