Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:33:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 30 quid for a single plastic WoTR figure anyone?  (Read 7661 times)

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: 30 quid for a single plastic WoTR figure anyone?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 12:52:25 AM »
Wargamers are amatuers in the true sense of the word. They do it for love and have a 'do it for love' attitude. They invest disproportionate amounts of time and skill into painting figures, making terrain etc. You could not afford that time if you had to pay for it.
So when people decide to try to switch to make a living wage out of a hobby which is largely powered by love and not money - there's the problem. It's not an economic model most wargamers recognise or want to engage with.

I think really that explains why figure painters are "poorly paid". Most hobbyists can't paint as well as professional painters, but most still want to paint their own figures, it is part of the hobby. The time can't be charged for economically because there isn't the market for painted figures that there is for, say, dental work.

And no, I would not pay that much for that figure. I have though bought figures painted by Steve Dean before, purely for the purpose of studying his paintwork in person, to try to learn from it. they were not that expensive though...

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
I wish I could paint as well as this :)

... said Rembrandt to Goya.  ::)   I'd settle for your 'lack of talent' any day... I may as well be using a white-washing brush in comparison to some of you LPL guys.

;)

Like any 'professional' the guy obviously has to consider his time, which is not the same for the 'beer and fag money' painter. You can do your job for the love of it sure, but it doesn't pay the rent. In effect the hobby painter keeps the price down, in the same way as 'hobby writers' (most of whom write for free, even when the publication they write for is 'sold') keep the already appalling word rate down for pro writers.

Oddly figures can command a price other aspects of the hobby (terrain, buildings and even the cases to carry your 'works of art') cannot. A guy will spend a small fortune on figures, spend hours painting them and then carries them around in a €2 file box.

You can whinge about dentists, plumbers and whatever 'over-charging' too, but they have previously expended time and money getting the skills, qualifications and indeed premises and tools for the job... their cost includes that... maybe there are 'hobby' dentists around, but would you be willing to try them out? Obviously there are 'hobby builders' however...

As in all things however, the market sets the price. We may think the price is extortionate, but clearly his customers do not. Only by people not paying the price would it be reduced. Many of us baulk at GW prices, yet they still carry on (just about by the sounds of it admittedly) as they have a customer base who will pay.

:)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 01:08:57 PM »
I was only joking about the dentist, actually they're pretty reasonable for the pain they ease  ;)

I've heard that the upper classes pay a hell of a lot more to be tortured by young women with fancy equipment  :D

For Christ's sake don't show this one to Richard, his head may explode  ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOUNTED-MAN-AT-ARMS-in-RICHARD-III-LIVERY-28mm-PAINTED-MINIATURE-WOTRs-HYW-etc-/111582956333?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=RaChQBG04vI3ciWlWvVCOutSGh8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:52:58 PM by Bugsda »
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 02:41:43 PM »
Yeah, but its on an 'orse.  ;)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline whiterose

• Schoolboy
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 02:42:41 PM »
Bugsda, different when you put figures on ebay at high starting prices!!!!!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 08:36:39 PM »
The starting bid was £30 mind...  :o  Granted the guy lives in Yorkshire, so that has to be considered when money is concerned.  ;)

It was definitely a WotR figure and not a Norse though Ray... I'll get me coat.  :D

I was only joking about the dentist, actually they're pretty reasonable for the pain they ease  ;)

Unless you pay for private treatment rather than NHS rates... a check-up will set you back around £70 in some places. Still cheaper than Miss Whiplash probably though.

:)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:38:44 PM by Arlequín »