Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:09:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Statting a T-Rex, a Velociraptor and a King Kong Ape...help!  (Read 2143 times)

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
Statting a T-Rex, a Velociraptor and a King Kong Ape...help!
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »
I'm hoping to play another game with my son this weekend and am planning on doing a Lost World scenario in which one company must get from one end of the table to the other...the only problem is the table will have a T-Rex, a couple of Velociraptors, a King Kong ape and a giant Boa! Fortunately, the beasts are just as likely to attack each other but still...!

Anyway, I'm trying to stat up the beasts using the various books and have found that the guidelines in the IHMN book don't seem to match the beasties in HVF and SDRS. So I thought I'd share my efforts here and ask for your help in improving them (and maybe Craig could check my costings or let me know if there are different guidelines?).

I've taken the Boa from HVF (p.9) even though the Boa I have is proportionately bigger than the real thing.

My King Kong Ape has borrowed from the Great Ape in HVF but I just upped the Pluck to 3+, gave a Pluck Penalty to his attack of -1 and added the talents Fearless and Tough. The cost I came up with using the guidelines in the back of IHMN was 60. So:

King Kong

9"+/+4" Move/Run, 3+ Pluck, +5 FV, 8 Armour, +1 Weapon Bonus, -1 Pluck Penalty (Talents - Fearless, Terrifying, Tough), Cost 60

T-Rex

9"/+4" Move/Run, 3+ Pluck, +5 FV, 10 Armour, +2 Weapon Bonus, -2 Pluck Penalty (Talents - Fearless, Iron Will, Terrifying, Tough) Cost 71

Raptor

9"/+4" Move/Run, 4+ Pluck, +4 FV, 9 Armour, +1 Weapon Bonus, -1 Pluck Penalty (Talents - Terrifying, Tough), Cost 44

They will all have the rule from HVF p.10 "These animals are territorial and will attack the first creature within reach of their normal move" and, furthermore, I shall have them randomly moving about the table.

So two Raptors, two T-rexes, one giant Boa and a King Kong comes to 321 points...about right for a 300 point company, I think! But this is assuming the costings are okay...and the beasties and extraordinary creatures in HVF and SDRS seem to be cheaper than when I work them out using the guidelines in IHMN making me wonder whether I am over-costing them.

Any advice welcome.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:25:03 PM by wulfgar22 »

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
Re: Statting a T-Rex, a Velociraptor and a King Kong Ape...help!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:05:22 PM »
Personally I would swap out Kong's Tough talent for Berserker. Then he can go completely apesh*t. Also give him an SV of +1 and allow him to throw people, horses, small trees etc. (weapon +1).
As for the Velociraptors, I'd reduce their armour to 8 - tough leather basically, and also remove the Terrifying talent. Other players are going to be scared of them regardless of this. This should then reduce their cost enough to deploy one or two more. You really want them to be acting as pack of three or four.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:20:07 PM »
Thanks, Craig. I shall amend them as you suggest...I especially like the idea of giving Kong an SV! But otherwise the costings seem okay? As for the velociraptors, I only have two at the moment but shall get some more forthwith!!

So amended beasties:

King Kong

9"+/+4" Move/Run, 3+ Pluck, +5 FV, +1 SV 8 Armour, +1 Weapon Bonus, -1 Pluck Penalty (Talents - Fearless, Terrifying, Beserker), Cost 61

T-Rex

9"/+4" Move/Run, 3+ Pluck, +5 FV, 10 Armour, +2 Weapon Bonus, -2 Pluck Penalty (Talents - Fearless, Iron Will, Terrifying, Tough) Cost 71

Raptor

9"/+4" Move/Run, 4+ Pluck, +4 FV, 8 Armour, +1 Weapon Bonus, -1 Pluck Penalty (Talents - Tough), Cost 33

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 07:58:59 AM »
I did not check the costings. For that you have Lady Kate's Marvellous Maniacal Enumerator  :D

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:07 AM »
I did not check the costings. For that you have Lady Kate's Marvellous Maniacal Enumerator  :D

I'd forgotten about that. I shall go and check.