Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How does Songs of Drums and Tomahawks compare to M&T?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
How does Songs of Drums and Tomahawks compare to M&T?
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:07:02 PM »
Like the title asks, how does Songs of Drums and Tomahawks compare to Muskets and Tomahawks? I Have M+T,  and played it once, but never really got 'into it'. I have Songs of Drums and Shakos, which I have played a few times, and like a lot.  I also have a load of F+W figures I painted for M+T but no longer use.

So the question is, which is best? SoDT or M&T? And why? and is there any other system for small skirmish games I might have overlooked?
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline sespe

• Librarian
Re: How does Songs of Drums and Tomahawks compare to M&T?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 12:43:48 AM »
If you have SDS, you already have Drums & Tomahawks 90% learned.  The 2 are very similar. Some of the large unit rules are gone and some great small-unit specific rules added. 

But I don't have M&T so I can't answer your question! ;)

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 01:20:04 AM »
is there any other system for small skirmish games I might have overlooked?

There is also the FIW variant for Sharp Practice, called La Longue Carabine found in the Summer 2011 special from TFL.  Have not yet played but I am looking at it currently.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 03:48:00 AM »
Scale is the big difference. M&T is a game where each players controls several units. SDT is a man-to-man skirmish game, with players controlling around 7-12 figs each. M&T has "units" of 6+ figures. Each figure in SDT moves on its own -- although there are special group moves that leaders can give to move multiple figures together.

If you enjoy the Napoleonic Song of Drums and Shakos, then I would predict you will like Song of Drums and Tomahawks equally well (if not more). As the rules author, I did not want it to be supplement. I asked Andrea if I could write it as a stand-alone rules set, so that you didn't have to go back and purchase other rules to play. He was fine with that. As Sespe stated, it will be a snap to learn these rules, as they are based off of SDS with changes to better reflect woodland warfare.

Feel free to ask any other questions, or specifics...I'll be happy to answer.

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline doublenot7

• Bookworm
  • Enimo Et Fide
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 02:20:33 PM »
Someone didn't like M&T?  That's rare!  M&T is a great game and I have not played SDT as of yet.  I did download it this morning however and plan on sitting on some games at Cold Wars.

My initial impression is that these two games could compliment each other very well.  M&T for larger skirmish games and SDT for smaller skirmishes.  SDT looks very much like "Necro-tomahawk", LOL.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
We have played SoDT now and I have to say I liked it a lot. It was fast pace, fun and created some dramatic moments. The rules are elegant and certainly give the right feel. I played with a novice wargamer and he had grasped the basic rules in just a few minutes, and then got to grips with the tactical elements of the game over the next couple of hours. All in all a success. I can see what you mean about M+T complementing SoDT. I could consider trying M+T again now. I also might pinch the objectives and side plot rules from M+T next time we play.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:14:33 PM »
We have played SoDT now and I have to say I liked it a lot. It was fast pace, fun and created some dramatic moments. The rules are elegant and certainly give the right feel. I played with a novice wargamer and he had grasped the basic rules in just a few minutes, and then got to grips with the tactical elements of the game over the next couple of hours. All in all a success. I can see what you mean about M+T complementing SoDT. I could consider trying M+T again now. I also might pinch the objectives and side plot rules from M+T next time we play.

Thanks for the kind words, Rob. We played 3 games Sunday night testing out the Beaver Wars, and they produced real nail-biters. Glad you and your friend were had fun.

The "side plots" in M&T are sheer genius. Honestly, they were the reason I bought the rules, too, even though I'll likely never play them. I already used them as inspiration for another set of campaign rules that are in the queue for play testing!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

Offline doublenot7

• Bookworm
  • Enimo Et Fide
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »
After Cold Wars is over, I will be showing our group back in Texas how to play SDT.  We've already decided the scenario will take place inside a fort (I have a large stockade fort).  The walls have just been breached, let the fun commence!