Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:53:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Reboot: sculpting robots. (and creating a game! Update: 24/04/15)  (Read 7249 times)

Offline Gibbergeist

• Bookworm
Having fun with this work in progress sculpt! He's a little robe wearing robot and I am really glad I did his head/face first! It helps visualizing and in my opinion the character he already has inspires me to go further!

What do you think of it so far?!

Around 20mm high.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 04:07:33 PM by Gibbergeist »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Sculpting a little robed robot. (wip)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 12:25:03 AM »
Interesting, what are you going to use it for?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 06:17:52 AM »
Nice work - very interesting too.  8)

Offline Gibbergeist

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:06:40 PM »
Interesting, what are you going to use it for?

Nice work - very interesting too.  8)

Thanks!  :)

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now. Robots mixed with clothing and gear. I am new to sculpting so I am not very confidenty yet! This one however is going exactly as I want so far so that gives me a boost!  ;D

What I have in mind? Well I've got some background in mind too but nothing too solid yet. I might write some ideas down and share if you're interested?  :)

I do know I like sculpting him so much I already want to do more! Different sizes and types and the likes!  :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:59:33 AM »
The interesting bit is wondering whether he's a R2-ish friendly little chap, or a very compactly folded multi-armed attack droid with blades and artillery hidden under the cloak.
Quite cyberpunk too, and useful for Dredd, supers.... nothing not to like  :D

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 07:40:44 AM »
I'd buy that (but then again I buy almost any robot/droid I can find  lol ). It is a promising start.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Gibbergeist

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 03:55:05 PM »
Hahaha, great! Thanks once more guys!  :)

Some more work on the little robot. I finished his feet and blocked in the rest of his robes. Also posed his right arm which will be holding some sorts of staff. The square space on his back is where his little backpack is going to be. :)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 08:02:51 PM »
He's like a little robot pilgrim! Can't wait to see the end result :)

Offline Gibbergeist

• Bookworm
Re: Sculpting a little robed robot. (update 19/3: started another bot)
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
Thank you Tacgnol!  :)

I started another robot. The Little one is coming along nicely too but I felt the needd to start on some more! ;)

The robe part and the engine on his back are as good as done I think, just some more smoothing and touching up. what do you guys think, shall i add some holes here and there to make the robe more worn and aged?

I have placed a makeshift hood and arms to show what I have in mind. He's holding some sort of floaring sphere and his head will be  featureless, oval mirror/glass like which will hopefully turn out really sinister in combination with his hood!

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:12:06 AM by Gibbergeist »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 01:35:00 AM »
I love where this thread is going. Keep up a great work.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 02:08:35 AM »
The new robot is really sweet; looking forward to seeing him finished.

Offline Gibbergeist

• Bookworm
Re: Reboot: sculpting robots. (and creating a game!)
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »
Thank you guys!  :)

Someone on another forum asked me what I intend to do with them. While at first it was just about having fun, these guys are so cool to work on I've had an idea brewing in my mind! Time to let the cat out of the bag I guess!!! :D

Since starting on the first robot sculpt my imagination has been running wild! Idea after idea started popping up in my head and soon I knew what I wanted to do! I am calling it...

Reboot

The short of it is that earth, in some distant future, has been mostly abandoned by humans. Most of earth's resources supposedly spent and it's surface wracked by war and natural disasters they have left for the stars. Not able to take everything with them they have left behind many things. Goods, vehicles and many a kind of deactivated robots left to itheir own. Sometimes well stored and sometimes left to rot. Skip a few decennia/centuries, a world in decay and yet slowly miraculousy healing itself. A strange phenomenom is occuring and every now and then a dormant laying robot is being awakened almost as if its former owners have returned and simply switched them back on. It's internal programs and directory rebooting and its powersource replenished and brimming with energy. No longer being mere automatons however, something has changed. No more mere cold calculating machines incapable of feeling and lacking emotions. It was almost as if they had gained something like a soul, causing some of  them to experience 'feelings' such as empathy and giving but also hatred and the craving of power. A mix of emotions almost akin to to those which their former masters have felt. They have evolved, rising above their original programming and capabilities and their self awareness making them each an unique individual.

These Awakened start out as nomads. Venturing out into the unkown and discovering a dangerous world in search of materials they need to survive (think of replenishing their batteries, repairing damaged parts, etc) and others of their kind to band together with, living up to the 'old strength in numbers' in order to survive. The reason I am giving them clothes and such is to give them a bit of a unique feeling making them even closer to humans for example. Scavengers who use everything they find to protect them against any other who might want to cause them harm (or to cause harm to others!) and against the elements.

I think it would be ideal as a skirmish game with small groups of robots acting out all sorts of scenarios. Battling each other over grounds, searching for materials, locate and add a new found Awakened to the group, etc, etc... The group would exist out of whatever robot you fancy putting in there with different classes and types being available. (small, medium, heavy, etc) Mix in other 'human' elements such as good, neutral & evil and  others and I think it might make a fun  and interesting game/background.

If it's rubbish just say so!   ::)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 01:18:19 PM by Gibbergeist »

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
It is a brilliant idea.

You could use the ones you made (and future ones) and many other types of robots too, maybe even from various companies? I collect robot miniatures for fun, and your idea would mean I would be able to game with all of them, which I think is brilliant.  :o

Offline Gibbergeist

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »
Cool, really glad atleast someone would appreciate it already!  :D

Exactly, mix and match what you like and add them to a group to play with. Using the ones I make or the ones you have already. Of course, I would prefer if you'd use mine too!  ;D

I already have more than enough concepts in mind, ranging from tiny minions to colossal constructs and everything inbetween! Then there's the backgrounds, gameplay and much more. I think I got my work cut out for me but it'll be worth it!  :D

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
I think it's got great potential. Keep at it.