Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 07:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695400
  • Total Topics: 118684
  • Online Today: 555
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Any warband style games set in the ancient world?  (Read 8240 times)

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
Re: Any warband style games set in the ancient world?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 04:05:26 AM »
For most things Greek, I'd say you can't go wrong with Foundry.  They have fairly comprehensive historical and mythological ranges. Steve Barber also does some Greek Mythological figures, although they're not to my tastes, personally.  Amazons are pretty tricky.  There are the Wargames Factory plastics, they're not the best quality (but far from the worst, too).  There is a Foundry range, which are kind of a mosh-mash of styles (Spartan, Persian, Trojan Wars), which limits their potential, IMO.  Shadowforge has some cool but expensive evil Amazons, in Classical Greek attire with a lot of skull motifs.  I think the Hasselfree model you picked would be a suitable leader for any of them.

GW ungors can be used as satyrs, especially evil or chaotic satyrs.

Otherwise, there are a lot of Greek mythological figures sprinkled amongst other manufacturers' ranges.  I know Reaper has some, Darksword makes a very nice Gorgon and maybe some others, Bronze Age makes relatively large (32mm) heroic Greeks.

Crocodile Games' Wargods of Olympus has some very stylized Spartans, Mycenaeans, Amazons, Trojans, and Titans, too.

The Victrix plastics should mix fine with most of the less over-the-top GW bits, but especially some of the newer, bigger bits might be a bit much.  This thread shows some such conversions:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=75834.0

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 04:21:25 AM »
Wow, those Bronze Age minis look amazing! The Dark Temple girls from Shadowforge are pretty good too!

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 05:42:39 AM »
I used this lass as the female interest in my Hoplite warband...

:-*
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »
She's nice, who made her?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 07:06:13 AM »
She's nice, who made her?

Here she is. Although she looks rather like Pallas Athene to me. ;)

Anyway, our very own LAF mythology showcase might also be of interest to you then.

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »
Ooh, brilliant! Lots of good stuff on there!

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 07:28:30 PM »
Another vote for Labors of the Gods.  The Goalsystem engine is fun and adaptable. The game allows you to create your own heroes, monsters and minions.

Offline nathan

• Librarian
  • Infected by 54mm
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
I have most of the supplements for SoB&H and the various Goal System games and I think both are an excellent way to go.  I especially like SuperSystem as a resource for building pretty much anything.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
Mongoose have announced that they will be releasing Warriors of Antiquity at Salute, in conjunction with Victrix.  Warbands are 40-50 strong, so maybe a bit big for your tastes.

Battle Companies for LotR is pretty decent for 5-15 on a side games.  The most recent LotR army builder rules actually do a good job of mixing and matching - each group of up to 12 infantry or 6 cavalry MUST be led by a heroic character, so forces are typically 3-4 such groups.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2015, 05:49:53 PM »
Been looking for something of the same sort myself.

While my local group has been having fun with Ronin, but we've been looking for a different time period game around the same model count. And since there's a few younger people at one of the stores who have been interested in joining in that want greeks, romans, & egyptians thanks to being fans of the Percy Jackson stuff, well, the entire area with monsters seems like something that would be a good fit for bringing more people into it.

Plus there's enough variety with it that different people can spread out options.

Preferably one where stats are largely pre-existing so that new wargamers have fewer issues at choosing a force.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »
You could try open combat - https://www.secondthunder.com/category/open-combat/ I have never played it but read the rules and they seem ok

They are supposed to have a campaign system soon. It's a points based system and quite expandable. There are supposed to be more expansions on the way.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »
Been looking for something of the same sort myself.

While my local group has been having fun with Ronin, but we've been looking for a different time period game around the same model count. And since there's a few younger people at one of the stores who have been interested in joining in that want greeks, romans, & egyptians thanks to being fans of the Percy Jackson stuff, well, the entire area with monsters seems like something that would be a good fit for bringing more people into it.

Plus there's enough variety with it that different people can spread out options.

Preferably one where stats are largely pre-existing so that new wargamers have fewer issues at choosing a force.

Take a look at "Of Gods and Mortals": Same self-contained format like "Ronin" (Osprey), including lists for mythological Greece and Egypt as well as Celts and Vikings. Others might be available since. Essentially ye olde "Age of Mythology" setting, if you remember that. Gods, beasts and heroes fight individually, ordinary men (and women) bunch up in small units, though.

Otherwise, I never tire to mention "7th Voyage" and "Labor of the Gods" for your small-scale mythological fix. ;)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »
Take a look at "Of Gods and Mortals": Same self-contained format like "Ronin" (Osprey), including lists for mythological Greece and Egypt as well as Celts and Vikings. Others might be available since. Essentially ye olde "Age of Mythology" setting, if you remember that. Gods, beasts and heroes fight individually, ordinary men (and women) bunch up in small units, though.

Otherwise, I never tire to mention "7th Voyage" and "Labor of the Gods" for your small-scale mythological fix. ;)

I'd thought that "Of Gods And Mortals" was more of a smaller army type rather than more of a focus on the individuals save for a few heroes.

7th Voyage is one I'm considering getting a copy of to look through, though I haven't seen it in action nearby.

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2015, 06:28:28 AM »
Crocodile Games have some great Amazons. They are finishing distribution of their KS at the moment and open to PayPal buys for these until this Sunday. General release will be sometime next year.

https://www.crocodilegames.com/kickstarter.cfm