Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ARTICLE SECTION  (Read 4414 times)

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
ARTICLE SECTION
« on: September 24, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
we have many many talented members on the forums here. and there is so many sites with an article section and they are perfect for drawing inspiration from. i was thinking why doesn't LAF have one?
we could have one for
>sculpting
>terrain
>miniatures
>reviews
>painting.
etc etc.

any hope in maybe this idea kicking off?
+ any suggestions
CALLING PROF come take a look.

TW
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: ARTICLE SECTION
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:45:51 AM »
Unfortunately the Prof is a bit busy right now, and where he is has trouble getting regular internet access. From what he says I gather that will be the case for some months yet, so I suppose your suggestion will have to be put on hold until he's back here on a full-time basis.

My own view is that we don't really need a separate section, but such articles could easily be incorporated as stickies into the existing relevant boards. I am somewhat averse to board proliferation myself, it can be an addictive slippery slope. More than one forum that I belong to seems to have new-boarditis, and has ended up with a myriad pointless sections whose responsibilities overlap and only serve to make navigation more confusing and difficult.

But that's just me.  :)

(By the way, I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm totally against your suggestion, just that we need to be careful not to catch the new board disease here.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:58:10 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:54:33 AM »
I have thought about this myself for a bit after reading the post. Articles I think should be in the relevant section and could be sticky topics if the moderator warrants it.

I like to think that the info I'm looking for will be in the relevant section rather than somewhere else.

I will go with the flow though if others want it that way.

Nice to have new thoughts and ideas though  :D

Dodge

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:00:48 AM »
I agree that we should take precautions not to  newboarditis but I still think we could do with a little cropping, pruning and bisection. The WWI and II would benefit from parting ways into two boards if i is doable.

As for articles, I think we can do with sticky posts. That's at least how I handle the Workbench. You can also uploaded documents, provided members can be bothered doing condensed document versions of rambling threads.

I also wish you could filter certain suboards as 'not my cup of tea' and thus have less Unread posts to sift through.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:24:20 AM »
I also wish you could filter certain suboards as 'not my cup of tea' and thus have less Unread posts to sift through.

That's a good idea.

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »
thing is with forums, a sticky thread still has all the fluff and extra feedback and suggestions that slow u down when your looking for what you want/ nice to hear others opinions though.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »
thing is with forums, a sticky thread still has all the fluff and extra feedback and suggestions that slow u down when your looking for what you want/ nice to hear others opinions though.

This is most certainly true.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »
That's a good point. More than a couple of stickies turns a page into a pain in the arse. At Colonial Adventures we don't need no steenkin' steekies!

I suppose we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. We'll either upset folks who don't like too many boards, or folks who don't like stickies.

Anyway, I say most articles would come under Workbench, so it's Hammers' problem, not mine.  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 08:15:46 PM »
Figures. :-[

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »
we could just have a strict filtering system. and a promotion thingy like on the last alliance. so only trusted members get to filter them, to make sure that to many duplicate articles don't get through unless each one has something unique to offer. ??? a whole new section wouldn't bug to many people, as they wouldn't have to go there if they didn't want to.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 08:51:39 AM »
I suppose you could have a tutorials section which just held tutorials.
No comments, no discussion, just a pure article telling you "how to....", with or without pictures/blueprints.
Any discussion of the article could carry on in the usual section - probably started off by a post such as "I've done a tutorial about....".
Any thread that shows something nifty where lots of people write comments of "how's it done/made/painted ?" could then prompt a simple reply of "I've done a tutorial and put it in the tutorials section called...."

I suppose you could organise the tutorials by popularity (number of views), date of submission, or even alphabetiacl title.

Would be a bugger to administer though.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)