Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:01:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ivanhoe's Rescue - A Lion Rampant AAR  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Ivanhoe's Rescue - A Lion Rampant AAR
« on: March 03, 2015, 07:26:01 PM »
 Hi Folks

The Tales of Shedwood are back - alive and kicking...with a guest appearance from Captain Blood  :D

We fought a new Robin Hood scenario last night using the Lion Rampant ruleset...

Was Robin Hood able to rescue Ivanhoe?

Read it all here...

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/the-tales-of-shedwood-ivanhoes-rescue.html

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Re: Ivanhoe's Rescue - A Lion Rampant AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:21:23 PM »
Nice pics, nice board, nice report.

I like your last house rule in particular, allowing all units to test, even after some have failed. Only played a couple of games but already I feel that fail-so-end-turn is a game-wrecker. It's not fun, it's just frustration. Nice idea.  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 10:26:18 PM »
Thanks Giles. It was a fun game and a good introduction to Lion Rampant. I can see why they're so popular: the basic mechanics are pretty simple and appealing - and no-one likes a basic ruleset more than me :D

As we discussed, there do seem to be one or two slightly wonky elements to the rules - the relative strength of mounted knights versus armoured infantry for instance (nowhere near enough of a differential). But apart from a couple of minor quibbles, I like the rules.

Whether I'd have liked them so much if we'd played the rule that your entire turn is over once any one of your units fails its activation roll, I very much doubt. Although from what I read here and have been told by others, it seems like not many people are sticking to that rule anyway...  :)

(Still don't know why the author settled on the obscure term 'bidowers' by the way. He could have just said 'skirmishers', which is what they are, rather than dredging up some obscure bit of medieval nomenclature which no-one - no, not even Wikipedia - has heard of...  For some reason I find this disproportionately irritating. Ah well, back to the anger management classes...  ;))

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »
I've seen the "fail activation and pass the dice on" in other games, but usually with more than one leader, so the dice pass on to sub-commanders before passing across to the opposition.
Also the success/fail is generally linked to distance from testing commander - forcing leaders to actually lead rather than sitting at the back in safety.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:03:59 AM »
Game looked great as usual. I ordered a copy of the rules just last weekend.

I see Robin made an appearance again, must find mine.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 04:16:17 AM »
Great AAR, figures, terrain and photos. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline tancrede

• Scientist
    • Studio Caillou
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 08:46:02 AM »
Excellent battle report, and great looking gaming table !
My blog, for personnal and commission work, and sometimes other things too => http://studiocaillou.blogspot.fr/

Offline Miantanomo

• Scientist
  • Ahhh, Crap.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 12:47:16 PM »
A great game. Waited a while for the next chapter of Robin, Ivanhoe, the Sherrif and the Bishop! So worth it!
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."
-Eddard Stark

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 01:45:08 PM »
Thanks guys...more to come soon

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
Great looking game.
, ,

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 12:56:40 AM »
Whether I'd have liked them so much if we'd played the rule that your entire turn is over once any one of your units fails its activation roll, I very much doubt. Although from what I read here and have been told by others, it seems like not many people are sticking to that rule anyway...  :)

That is my main gripe with LR. I regularly lose games using activation rolls due to failure of rolling average results.

I only tried LR once, and gave up half way through because of catastrophic dice results, but apart from not really wanting to play it again, I also like the simplicity of the rules.

Game and table look fab!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »
That is my main gripe with LR. I regularly lose games using activation rolls due to failure of rolling average results.

I only tried LR once, and gave up half way through because of catastrophic dice results, but apart from not really wanting to play it again, I also like the simplicity of the rules.

Game and table look fab!

What about using some house rules? Like increasing the activation bonus for a leader in 12" to +2 (and perhaps to +1 in 18")? That should help to move units little bit more.

Offline Anna Elizabeth

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »
AWE-sum! :) Thanx Guys, that was fun to read.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »
Just brilliant!  :-*

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »
We didn't find the loss of initiative that much of a problem, even though, in the second game we played, Paul failed to move his knights for 7 attempts in a row!
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?