Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 589
Total: 592

Recent

Author Topic: Richard III reburial  (Read 13393 times)

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
Re: Richard III reburial
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »
 Just reading a bit from the paper,
Para 4
Modelled radiocarbon dating was also consistent (1456–1530AD at 95.4% probability)
Consistant? Really..was it? Both the independant Radio carbon tests came up with those Dates?? Did they ?
Wasn´t there something about fish and using a statistical probabiltiy table to "determine" the date?
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2015, 09:55:04 AM »
I take it his new look hasn't grown on you at all?  :D

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
The reinterment of Richard III. Proudly brought to you by Clairol.

Nah, Injury Lawyers 4U. "Have you had an accident on the battlefield recently? Head stoved in and it wasn't your fault?" :D

Paul: I can sympathise. o_o

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2015, 05:22:35 PM »
I take it his new look hasn't grown on you at all?  :D
it´s not entirely that, it´s more the  retrospective "fact finding" and dropping of anything that doesn´t fit with the narrative.
On one Hand artistic representations, writings or paintings, are totally or in part ignored, on the other used to confirm what´s been found, and seemingly as the wind changes.
If, they are now using the Windsor portrait as being Close to what his hair colouring was (the first dolls head had black hair to fit with the generally accepted view) then they should not only consider that the puppets hair is a wee bit too blonde in comparison and  the obvious lack of deformity (dropped shoulder) which could mean the painting is an innacurate representation or the deformity was quite mild..something which a full reconstruction using the Skeleton could Show. 

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »
Tea and Chocolate Hobnobs anyone?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »
It must be kharma for poking Paul with a stick, however gently... I've just finished reading Mike Ingrams' 'Battle Story: Bosworth' so I completely get what Paul is saying... talk about shaping history round your own ideas.
 ::)

I get that in history today you have to come up with something new and fresh constantly, but I always thought you formed ideas from the evidence regardless, not have an idea then pick and choose from the evidence to support it.

It's a shame too as there were a few things I didn't know in there, which I was forced to go check because some of the rest was a bit dodgy. Still he got me thinking, so that's a plus.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2015, 06:25:06 AM »
No I get the concept, I just don't see how it relates to Paul's emotive stance.

RIII make the point that his hair may well have become darker as time went on or been dark all along, i.e. they are openly describing blond as an option, based on Turi King's DNA analysis, not the definitive version.

It's hazardous to make assumptions on Turi King's agenda solely based on media reports. So I think I'll wait for her paper to be released before joining Paul on the outrage bus.

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2015, 08:43:47 AM »
No I get the concept, I just don't see how it relates to Paul's emotive stance.

I never get "emotive" or create an "outrage bus"..those, like some of the Retro-fitting of facts by Leicester Uni,  are on your part, assumptions.
Yes, they are openly describing blonde as an Option..I´ve no Problems with that but barbie blonde?

I´ve already linked to her paper on the DNA Analysis.
Found the paper....
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/141202/ncomms6631/full/ncomms6631.html
Figure 2: Hair and eye colour prediction from genetic data
The question is; Why go for the barbie doll blonde when other choices are available, ones that are closer the painting ?

It isn´t 100% definate, not the obvious choice but what the hell..it  Looks sensational !!!
 (Sensational as in create a Sensation ie; create Publicity? )

in which she says;
77% probability of having blond hair
and
However, current hair colour DNA predictions resemble childhood hair colour and it is important to note that in certain blond individuals, hair colour can darken during adolescence

The combination of "77% probability" and "hair can darken" added to what´s shown in the painting would suggest, logically, that the  hair colour wasn´t barbie blonde as they have protrayed on the puppet.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
Tis alleged that blondes have more fun. Lost on me I've never fancied 'em myself. Perhaps LAF could get an internet petition going to change it to something more generally acceptable like a lovely Titian or a Farah Fawcett style ash blonde?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2015, 10:44:02 AM »
I never get "emotive" or create an "outrage bus"..those, like some of the Retro-fitting of facts by Leicester Uni,  are on your part, assumptions.
Yes, they are openly describing blonde as an Option..I´ve no Problems with that but barbie blonde?

Maybe your understanding of the word assumption differs to mine, as I consider my post to have been a reasonable description of posts that use such emotive language 'bleating',
they were bleating at some Point that he was (like a lot of People) blonde as a child and his hair darkened
When someone starts using words like 'bleating' when they aren't talking about sheep then emotive is  exactly the word that comes to mind.

Then when someone poses a string of rhetorical questions, such as,
Consistant? Really..was it? Both the independant Radio carbon tests came up with those Dates?? Did they ?
Wasn´t there something about fish and using a statistical probabiltiy table to "determine" the date?

Then outrage is precisely the word that comes to mind.

If you want to talk of misrepresentation, you might wish to review your use of Barbie blond to describe what is clearly strawberry blond hair.

Hello pot this is kettle over...