Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689759
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 713
Total: 719

Recent

Author Topic: Czar Nicholas II Rehabilitated  (Read 6091 times)

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
Re: Czar Nicholas II Rehabilitated
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »
Deserved it?.  It was considered a practical necessity.  To let them live could and probably would have resulted in more people rallying to the White cause and thus to the deaths of countless more red soldiers and civilians.  On balance better they should die than us.

Bad things happen in a war as the civilian populations of any town shelled or bombed in the Twentieth Century can testify.  The only argument that makesd any sense is that of military necessity.  Sometimes, like Dresden, its just revenge.

On purely humanitarian grounds of course the Reds should have attempted to achieve their political and social objectives through peaceful and preferably legal means rather than by direct violent action from which only war could result. I rather worry to imagine a world where 'necessity' was the only reason we needed for taking human life away. I don't think its particularly controversial to say I'm not much a fan of the actions or attitudes of the historical Reds or Whites and would much rather mess around with their BoB versions than the realities.

To choose a more interesting and somewhat more relevant point here's something I was previously unaware of: in the 1904 Russo-Japanese war there were high casualties from barbed wire defences- because they were electrified! I wonder why nobody did this in WW1?
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 10:10:27 PM »
Because of the leccy bill you'd get if you tried electrifying a fence from Nieuwpoort to Basel.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
Wonder how you would represent electrified wire in a rules system? Equivalent to being hit by a grenade?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »
Wonder how you would represent electrified wire in a rules system? Equivalent to being hit by a grenade?

Personally I'd get one of those little shocker things and just shock my opponent when he isn't expecting it.

In game terms if he doesn't howl then the miniature survives. Any noise and captain crispy's snuffed it.

Offline Derek Beaufort

• Student
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 01:38:15 PM »
Much as I would like to emulate Derek's rant by telling him what a prick he is I don't think this forum is the place for either him or me to debate our political preferences.  I find Derek's reactionary garbage depressing as I sure he would my revolutionary sentiements.  Neither belong here.  Can the moderator scrub this thread clean please?

Indeed, you never know how we might get carried away if he start talking about who deserves what.

The execution of a "tyrant" is not a communist prerogative. Nicholas II wasn't the first/last ruler put to death by the (put an ideology name here) revolutionaries.
Ah, and the anticommunist kill the communist tyrants too.

True. But I don't see them praised all over the web for that.
To be born an Englishman is to win first
prize in the lottery of life.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
Ok, guys, I won't delete any entries but I close the discussion now. Thanks!