Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:23:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689805
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Strange Aeons meets Shadows of Brimstone  (Read 82511 times)

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
Re: Strange Aeons meets Shadows of Brimstone
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 03:50:01 AM »
The three remaining men of the party started gathering rocks to build a grave for their brave fallen member.  After two hours of doing this, Joseph found another similar grave with a note under one of it's rocks which read

Here lies Hank Henderson, If you should find this Grave, please forward this sad information to his wife and children, but let them know he died fightung bravely against foes that were beyond belief and he sacrificed himself to save the lives of the rest of his posse. His sacrifice will never be forgotten by us.

The note was signed by James Purdue (the missing Threshold agent).

Clive now knew that they were on the right track. Clive spoke to Clem and Joseph and asked if they wanted to turn back to regroup and try and get another member for their party or to forge on and discover what happened. Both men look at each other and noded. They would carry on and avenge the death of their friend Gus by taking on and defeating whatever would be forthcoming from the pits of Hell.

It was now getting late so they decided to pitch camp beside and in the lee of the Rock outcroping and start again in the morning. Each man would keep a 3 hour watch.

End of Scenario Activity.

The party is now down to three members. Joseph has taken Gus' shotgun as a backup to his rifle.

Having won the scenario they get experience. The Threshold player decides to give Joseph the Ambush ability so that all of them can now fire at the approaching horrors that are yet to come during the Lurker's activations.

We are using what I call the "IRON MAN" scenario progress for these linked scenarios. Thus a loss to the party decreases their BP total, but the BP build point total increases as per the gains for the full party.

The BP total for the Lurkers to build with will be 21 in the next scenario. The next scenario's title is "That which lies Below".

Lembit   :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 06:03:21 AM by Litebrite »

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 03:29:37 AM »
It sounds like you're having a lot of fun with this campaign.  I like how your write-ups make it into a continuing story.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 05:01:11 AM »
Scenario 4  That Which Lies Below

This is an Ambush Scenario. Again, the party needs to exit the far board edge.

Lurker Force:

1 Slasher w/Barbed Claws (10BPs + 3BPs = 13 BPs)

2 x Hellbats with Spiked Wings (6 BPs + 2BPs - 8 BPs)

Total: 21 BPs.

The Slasher is lying in wait in a deep part of the small river near the ford crossing (when a Party member enters the ford, the Lurker player rolls 2 dice and adds 2 to the result, the Lurker appears that far away in inches from the party member -- Lurker player's choice for initial position in the middle of the width of the river),

The Hellbats lurk within the trees. There are 6 Tree areas on the board. The Lurker player at the start of the scenario makes a hidden roll and records the result. The result is the tree area that the Hellbats are "roosting" in and awaiting to launch their attack. Each turn that the Threshold player is within 12" of a Tree Area, he can make a roll for spotting the Hellbats. He can only roll for one tree Area a turn. If the result is a 1, he has spotted the Hellbats if they are in that Tree Area and they must be placed on the board, or he knows for certain that there are no hidden enemies in the tree'd area. If a figure with Tracking skill doesn't move or perform any other action for one of his actions (like Joseph does), there is a -1 DRM to the roll.

I am attaching one of the Pics from the game we played as a teaser which I write up the AAR over the next few days.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
Picture 1 shows the scenario board setup with the woods numbered for location ID. Picture 2 is the board viewed from the south.

The Lurker player rolled for the woods location of the Hellbats: Center of Woods #4.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »
Turn 1

Joseph led the way onto the board. He moved once and then remained stationary to attempt a spotting attampt of woods #3 with his special modifier, but rolled a 6 and saw nothing.The Lurker player passed. Clive moved onto the board and headed past Joseph further down the trail. Lurker player passed again. Clem entered the board and moved up beside Clive (Picture 1). That ended the turn.

Turn 2

Lurker's won the initiative and passed. Joseph moved up one move and made another spotting attempt on woods #3 as on turn 1. Another failure. Lurkers passed.

Clive activates and moves up one move (staying close to his fellow party members) and attempts to spot into Woods #4, which fails.

The first Hellbat, in the middle of Woods #4, seeing Clive within its regular move range activates and launches its attack (since Clive and the others would not be able to Alert fire), It swoops down on Clive (who passed his Resolve test) and in the ensuing melee, causes a wound on Clive which leaves him unconscious on the ground with a minor Wound (Normally, he would be removed from the Table to return next scenario, but being an "Iron Man" game, he has to be left on the table to be carried and protected by one of the other two party members to successfully complete the mission). Neither Joseph or Clem are within 5" of Clive and do not need to test resolve for seeing him fall. (See Picture 2)

Clem activates and takes two shots at the Hellbat and hits with the second one, but only slightly wounding the creature (Face up result).

The second Hellbat bursts out from the woods and flies towards Joseph (See Picture 3). Both Clem and Joseph test their Resolve (both passing) and perform Alert fire but miss. The Hellbat swoops down on Joseph and they begin their deadly tango of melee. The Hellbat wins, but is unable to cause a wound on Joseph. (See picture 4)

More to follow.....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:17:07 PM by Litebrite »

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »
Turn 3

Lurker's won the Initiative and activated the prone Hellbat who immediately joined his fellow Hellbat to melee Joseph. Again, Joseph was struck by the Hellbat, but his leather vest prevented any damage.

Clam next charged forward over Clives unconcious body (which we took off the table to facilitate play action) to attack the risen Hellbat but the ensuing melee was a draw. (See Picture #1)

The second Hellbat continued its attack against Joseph and for a second time had its successful bite thwarted by Joseph's leather vest (Joseph was feeling very much like his Ancient Tribal spirits where guarding him somehow),

Joseph now took the fight to the Hellbat that just attacked him. He
swung his trusty tomahawk around to cut the beast in two.

Turn 4

Threshold won the Initiative.

Joseph cried out his War Cry and continued his attack against the remaining Hellbat. His tomahawk brought the Hellbat to the ground, he placed his foot onto the Hellbat pinning it to the ground and cut off its head (Successful Critical hit).

With no Lurkers remaining currently on the board, Clem activated and picked up Clive and began to move towards the exit edge of the board along the trail.

To be continued.....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:19:30 PM by Litebrite »

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:34 PM »
I very much enjoyed reading this continuing adventure story, thanks for posting.

I might have to try to score a copy of Shadows of Brimstone now...
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 11:16:57 PM »
Turn 5

Lurker's won Initiative and passed.

Joseph moved forward and reached the river's ford where the trail crossed.

(The Lurker now rolled to see how far away the Slasher was in the river: a 9 + 2 was 11" away. That precluded it from being in the river south of the ford.)

Something big rose up from the river and began to move towards Joseph.(See Picture 1) It was not fast but lumbered along. Joseph's resolve remained steady as the crablike creature approached him (thinking the Ancients would protect him). He fired twice at the thing only to see his rifle bullets bounce off the things armored shell. Clem seeing the thing approaching Joseph did not fare as well, a feeling of complete revulsion overcame him and he moved away (still carrying Clive so moving at half speed) back down the trail.

Clem looked back and saw Joseph bravely standing to face this new creature of hell and found his courage return again. He began moving back towards Joseph and called out for Joseph to get back with him so they could both face this together.

Turn 6

Threshold won the initiative.

Joseph moved back towards Clem and then turned around and took a shot at the Crab-thing. He hit, but again the bullet just richochet'd off its shell.

The Slasher moved out of the water towards Joseph. Both men fired their weapons. Joseph missed, but Clive got lucky and hit the thing wounding it. It belched out a horrid scream of pain but did not go down (1 wound of 2 it can take).  

Clem carefully placed Clive down onto the ground beside him so that he could act unfettered by Clive's weight. He took another shot, but missed.

Turn 7

Lurkers won initiative

The Slasher moved into contact with Joseph and in the following melees, neither got the better of the other (Tie rolls both times).(See Picture 2)

Clem charged into contact with the creature and succeeded in stabbing it, but with no effect. (See picture 3)

Joseph continued to fight the creature but his successful axe blows just deflected off the creatures shell,

Turn 8

Threshold won Initiative.

Clem saw an opportunity while the creature was concentrating on Joseph, Clem lunged forward and buried his knife deep into what he figured was one of its eye sockets (critical hit) and the thing just seemed to collapse right there and then (Major wound).

Joseph swung his tomahawk upwards into the creatures mouth area (at least that is what Joseph figured) just to make sure the thing was dead.

This ended the scenario  

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 09:05:08 AM »
Great write ups! :)

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 04:02:13 PM »
Thank you to those who have posted words of encouragement here.

I am sure that you all realize that I am not a great painter (as evidenced by my mediocre efforts in my pictures).  I used to be when I was younger, but these days I have to accept the quality my eyes and shaky hands allow.

I would like to let people know that the figures for Clive, Clem and Joseph are prepainted figures I purchased from EM-4's Western line.

I have been a RPGer since the 70's and for me having the narrative for a scenario just makes it that much better. Hope you all enjoy the following episodes still to come.  I am still working on the stats for the SOB "Boss" figures (Goliath and Harbinger) and likely wont have those fleshed out until September.

I eagerly await for the 2nd Ed. SA and all the fine castings Uncle Mike has produced with the KS.

Lembit

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »
I have just now re-read the whole thread and it's a cracking read, thank you for writing it up. This has gotten me thinking in somewhat the same circles (http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=81608.msg1000997;topicseen#new) and I hope to roll this 'madness' out in the week to come.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 05:29:47 AM »
Post Game

Since Threshold had won, they have an automatic Advancement. Joseph's Dex. was adjusted to a 3+.
Clem did not gain a rolled advancement.

To review advancements for the team characters:

Clive: has 5 out of his possible 10.
Clem has 2   out of his possible 5.
Joseph has 3 out of his possible 5.

------------------------------------------------

Clive regained conciousness just as the sun was setting. Joseph and Clem had setup camp near the river to wait for Clive to rouse. After eating and and getting the cobwebs out of his head, Clive again asked the other two if they wanted to keep going or to head back to Brimstone and get additional help. Clem and Joseph both shook their heads in a negative response and Joseph added "The spirits of my Ancestors guide us and demand from us to cleanse this land of the evil that has come forth now." And so it was decided again to carry on.

But the evil in the land had other plans for them that night. It was about 3 AM in the morning, while Clem was on watch, that he heard noises approaching the campsite. He woke up Clive and Joseph quickly and they prepared to meet whatever was coming....

Next Scenario.... Terrors of the Night.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 01:54:16 AM »
We played the scenario out today.  I still have to write it up but thought I would post a teaser picture from it.

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2015, 03:43:09 AM »
The scenario board is basically the same as the prior scenario except moved a little west so the river is in the center of the board and some of the up-comming rocky badlands is on the board. (see Pic 1). The party was up by the camp in the middle next to the river and waiting (see Pic 2), Minimum visibility was rolled and would be 8".

Turn 1

Visability rolled:13". Threshold won the Initiative and designated the Lurkers to move first.

The first Night Terror moved on to the board from the southern part of the east board edge keeping itself so as not to be visible to its human prey just ahead that it had sensed a while back (See pic 3). It knew that its fellow hunter was approaching from the west.

Joseph activates and does nothing.(pass).

The 2nd Night Terror moved on from the west board edge and entered into the woods (see Pic 4),

Clive has Clem and himself move to the north near those woods to get further away from the southern woods where they hear noises of movement.

Both players now passed which ended the turn.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:57:21 AM by Litebrite »

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 06:03:24 AM »
Turn 2

Threshold gets initiative. Visiability: 11"

Joseph moves over to where Clive and Clem are.

The Night Terror has encountered humans before that are armed and knows from experience that those flashing things can hurt him. He moves up to the edge of the woods and waits so that he will only have to expose himself the least amount to their dangerous weapons. (See Pic 1).

All three party members spot the thing in the woods and they all take Alert shots at it, but Clive's bullet hits a tree (cover save roll) and Clem misses. Joseph hits, but sees no effect from his shot.

Joseph fires two more shots with his rifle. The second one makes the creature jerk back and roar in pain (one wound),

The other Nightmare to the west moves up to the edge of its woods and holds there to have the woods as cover until it will charge. Again all three party members see this new threat and fire at it but their shots do not seem to have any effect.

Clive shouts out to "Shoot the daemon to the east" and both Clem and him fire twice at the closer red-eyed thing in the woods, but they just can't seem to cause any damage to it.

Turn 3

Lurkers win Initiative. Visibility: 14"

The Night Terror to the east bursts out of the woods charging towards the party. They fire again at the charging daemon with no effect again. Having seen Clive appear to be giving orders, the Night Terror moves into contact with him. All of the group are partially shocked by the actual sight of this daemon now that they can see it for the first time, but their resolve remains firm. Clive draws his fighting knife as the thing draws near and neither opponent is able to strike a blow on the other.(See pic 2)

Clive calls out for Joseph to help as he struggles with the daemon. Still neither foe gets the upper hand.

Joseph cries out his battle cry and charges in to help Clive fight the evil monstrosity. The spirits of his ancestors remain with him as he whirls his Tomahawk in a flurry of strikes. His first hit goes into the eye of the thing but doesn't take it down. He then manages to drive the Tomahawk into a softish area of the things arm pit. A blackish ichory blood busts forth and pours out of the wound, The creatures remaining glowing red eye closes, not to open again (critical hit that caused 2 wounds) (see pic 3).

Seeing its Hunting partner fall defeated, the remaining Night Terror burst out of its woods and charges towards Clem. All the Party members fire at the creature as it approaches, but to no avail. The daemon charges across the river and into melee with Clem. It swats Clem across the head and he goes down unconscious. (See pic 4)

There are no others to activate so the turn ends.

To be continued.....
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:10:18 AM by Litebrite »