Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:55:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (ogre bodyguard for Mordheim)  (Read 411416 times)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with WIP marauders ...)
« Reply #750 on: January 04, 2017, 12:28:24 AM »
Been a long time lurker, but this thread is pure gold. I love your old style orcs and your chaos hordes. Also, the quest for proper Tolkien orcs is close to my heart. You're doing such a great job pal!

See those Vendel goblins from like 30 pages ago. Where did you get them? They fit very well with what I'm looking for.

Maks

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #751 on: January 04, 2017, 12:51:28 AM »
Many thanks!

I got the Vendel goblins from someone on this forum, after they came up in that long discussion on the Uruk-hai. They're still made by Sgt Major Miniatures, though I don't know what the shipping's like.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #752 on: January 08, 2017, 11:06:55 AM »
Here are the first members of my new HotT army of "steampunky goblins". These two will serve as an artillery element once based. The bulk of the army will be shooters - two to a base.

These are really quick and dirty paintjobs, not least because some of the details on these Mantic figures are a bit soft or obscure (it's very hard to tell where a given garment or piece of armour begins and ends, for example). But they'll do. One observation I've made from playing HotT recently with both recent armies and those I painted hastily as a teenager is that the (significant) difference in quality is hardly noticeable during a game.

Offline Globlin

• Librarian
For quick and dirty paintjobs they certainly look the business! Looking forward to watching this new force take shape.
Adventures? Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks! I've made a fair bit of progress with some of the shooters and hope to get the first few elements finished over the weekend.

These are a separate project - for a friend's kids. I'm aiming for a motley crew of twelve or so intergalactic ne'erdowells:

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (with more marauders)
« Reply #755 on: January 14, 2017, 12:28:13 AM »
Here's one of the new Dark Alliance 1/72 war trolls in progress. They've got all the usual drawbacks of soft plastic 1/72 figures, but they're a great size and shape for HOTT behemoths. I was going to say that they're a little too big for Tolkien's trolls, but then I came across this description of Ents from The Two Towers:

"[There] came forward out of the trees three strange shapes. As tall as trolls they were, twelve feet or more in height...."

Now, I think there's a good argument that the Olog-hai were actually smaller than traditional types of trolls (the Morannon description and the comparison with Orcs in the indices point to that), but these models are clearly eligible for 28mm Tolkienish trolldom.

I'm not a great fan of the film's trolls, but while these are clearly based on the films, I think they've actually improved the design a bit by making them more man-shaped.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
That's nice. I may look into some of those myself. Would they be suitable to chop up?

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
« Reply #757 on: January 14, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »
Here are the first members of my new HotT army of "steampunky goblins". These two will serve as an artillery element once based. The bulk of the army will be shooters - two to a base.

These are really quick and dirty paintjobs, not least because some of the details on these Mantic figures are a bit soft or obscure (it's very hard to tell where a given garment or piece of armour begins and ends, for example). But they'll do. One observation I've made from playing HotT recently with both recent armies and those I painted hastily as a teenager is that the (significant) difference in quality is hardly noticeable during a game.

These look great, what are they built from?

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
That's nice. I may look into some of those myself. Would they be suitable to chop up?

They're thick-limbed and sturdy, but with a fine saw you could chop them up well enough. They're made of a fairly hard polythene, so they'd need pinning and greenstuffing to reassemble the bits.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #759 on: January 14, 2017, 02:46:08 PM »
These look great, what are they built from?

Thanks! They're just as-they-come Mantic "orx". I think the sprues may no longer be available from Mantic, but but there are plenty available cheaply on eBay.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Here are the first couple of Dark Alliance trolls. They and their kin will form some behemoth elements for HOTT - two to a base, I think.

The one with the hammer was undercoated, rather unsuccessfully, with GW's Imperial Primer. The one with the bardiche-style axe was just sprayed with GW white spray, which worked much better - no rubbing off of paint during drybrushing. They were very quick to paint - I sprayed the second one last night. At a quid a piece, they're definitely the cheapest large trolls on the market. And, while I don't particularly like the film interpretations, I like these better than the Reaper Bones version:

Offline peleset

• Librarian
Wow!

Finding good Trolls that work well with 15mm figures has been, it seems sometimes, an eternal problem for me. I thought the Khurusan ones were good, but the ones you've done look excellent and at a price not even a wargamer can whinge about.
Thief, Reaver, Slayer.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
These are pretty big in 28mm, so they'd be very big for 15mm. I'm basing them two to a 60mm square base, but it's a bit of a squeeze (as you can see, they'd be OK based one to a 60mm square).

For 15mm, I think the Copplestone 10mm trolls look pretty good - they fit the Olog-hai/hill-troll description at the Morannon.

If you want something bigger, these Mantic orcs are sort of equivalent to the Dark Alliance ones in stature and gear for 15mm.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Great paint job on those. Well done.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
I was thinking of getting some to use as Trolls or Ogres in 28mm and Giants in 15mm given how tall they are.