Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:36:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 427
Total: 432

Recent

Author Topic: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (ogre bodyguard for Mordheim)  (Read 411442 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a fat goblin)
« Reply #840 on: March 23, 2017, 11:58:11 PM »
Thanks, DeafNala! Here are a few more ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:13:23 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Nice work again. Great bunch there.

Thanks! This guy? I can see the resemblance - he's almost an homage with the club and belly:

Yep that's the guy. In fact the resemblance is even more than I recalled. I must get that guy out to paint*

*probably won't do that for a while :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks!

We had a largish game of SOBH this evening, featuring a dragon for the first time. It was swarmed by orcs and killed surprisingly quickly, despite the terror and tough traits; outnumbering always pays off in SOBH.

I also finished another orc - a hobgoblin discipline master:

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (where there's a whip ...)
« Reply #843 on: March 26, 2017, 11:38:20 AM »
Here's a WIP Marauder orc commander. I had this figure as a kid, along with a whole lot of the other Marauder orcs, but sold them all off to a friend after painting them reasonably well, albeit in a lurid shade of green. No more! This guy will fit in with the Marauder orcs I did last year, for whom I still have shields to do:

I also have quite a few C15 slottabased orcs that might fit in well with these ones; a little more human than the cave orcs, perhaps, but just as nasty.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
That commander is excellent. Haven't seen the miniature before, but he really oozes character. And checkered pants are always a win.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Thanks, affun! The Marauder orcs were a really interesting range:

I must confess - and it's probably heresy - that I prefer the Morrisons' pre-Marauder stuff (Those hobgoblins! Those half-orcs! Those beastmen!). But the Marauder stuff is still excellent. It's very easy to paint, too; those orcs are much easier and quicker to paint than their Kev Adams contemporaries, for some reason. If I had a quibble, it would be that the orcs are little on the comical/cute side. But when they're not painted bright green, they look sinister enough. And they're properly gobliny.

I'd hate anyone to think that I spent such as a glorious day as today inside; we had a family scramble up Arthur's Seat and a stroll to a beer garden thereafter. But on our return, I got a few moments to finish this fellow off. It was mainly a matter of correcting the right eye, which is much bigger than the left. I'd initially placed the pupil and light spot such that they weren't visible at all from certain angles, given the curvature of the eyeball. Fixed now, I think (as if anyone will ever notice on the tabletop ...).

Also, I noticed an interesting similarity between this fellow and Bogdan Legbreak.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And here's a Grenadier orc. He's been kicking around for a while now and has, I think, even seen some tabletop action in his unfinished state. Grenadier figures can often be a bit fiddly, with intricate but frustratingly shallow detail. Plenty of that on this fellow, but he's done as much as he's ever going to be now.

That takes the total to ten figures completed this week, including the from-scratch Marauder chap.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with a Grenadier orc)
« Reply #847 on: March 27, 2017, 11:32:22 PM »
And the first of this week's batch: Urag Legeater from the old Goblin Raiding Party box set:

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Some miniatures for Song of Blades and Heroes (now with Urag Legeater)
« Reply #848 on: March 27, 2017, 11:51:40 PM »
And here are the three of the raiding party that I've finished - albeit two years apart: Snurd Hideflayer, D'glish Sharpcut and Urag Legeater. D'glish was the first metal miniature I'd painted since the early 90s.

I have the rest of the set in various states of disrepair but all salvageable. I also have the congruent chief (a variant of the night goblin with two swords above) and standard-bearer, who appear to be escapees from the boxed set: they have the same style of helmets and shields. That makes a group of 12 - perfect for Dragon Rampant.

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #849 on: March 28, 2017, 04:33:17 AM »
This keeps getting better. I wish I had more time to work on my OH collection.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #850 on: March 28, 2017, 11:31:43 AM »
Ooh, they are nice. I think I have some of those somewhere in the lead mountain. You have prompted me to take a look after I have finished some of my Lord of the Rings minis that I am taking an age to work through.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #851 on: March 28, 2017, 11:33:24 AM »
Thanks, Schrumpkopf and Little Odo!

The Goblin Raiding Party is a gem of a set (box photo below for those who don't know it):

This is the matching standard-bearer (same ram-skull shield and horned helmet; also, the same sword as D'glish Sharpcut):

And the fellow next to him at the back of this block (fist raised and horned helmet) also has the same shield:

All in all, they'll make a nice little unit when they're done. Possible a Frostgrave warband too, with the shaman as the wizard and the standard-bearer as the apprentice. The other goblins are sufficiently varied to offer a good range of 'soldiers'.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:35:10 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #852 on: March 28, 2017, 04:47:50 PM »
It is INCREDIBLE just how WONDERFULLY the old miniatures paint up. You truly have a flair for the subject. VERY WELL DONE indeed!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #853 on: March 29, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »
Many thanks, DeafNala - glad you like 'em! I do think that the Perry brothers have never been surpassed as fantasy sculptors; it's just a pity that they only do historicals now.

Here's another member of the raiding party - the charmingly named Gigblad Childsplatter:

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #854 on: March 29, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »
I do think that the Perry brothers have never been surpassed as fantasy sculptors; it's just a pity that they only do historicals now.

Man, I was just talking with Kaiser about how amazing it would be if the Perry's started doing fantasy again. But I guess they kind of had their fill with that working for GW.

Also, what a glorious name for a goblin. Im guessing children are just about the only thing he actually can splatter  lol
The turqoise helmet is a nice touch. Great paintjob as usual.