Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:41:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave pictures  (Read 171644 times)

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: Frostgrave pictures
« Reply #795 on: July 17, 2015, 09:45:35 PM »
My stuff arrived today, so I've off course allready stuck together one of the sprues.
I couldn't resist adding a couple of custom bits, though:

Very neat stuff - Looking forward to painting some of them.

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #796 on: July 17, 2015, 10:15:06 PM »
GW heads?

Hadn't started looking at using those yet. I'd added some fireforge heads to make my Men at arms and soldiers look a little more professional. Now it looks like I've got some more options.  :D

Nice work.
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #797 on: July 17, 2015, 10:49:23 PM »
Yeah. They are from the Greatsword kit. A nice, but hella expensive box - Luckily I got the spare bits from a friend  lol

The heats actually fit really well, the bearded one just needed a little bit of trimming around the next.

For the next ones I build, I'll certainly try out a few of the fireforge heads I have lying around as well.
And I am planning to save the last two sprues for when I can afford a box of Gripping Beast Vikings. Glorious kit-bashing!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:32:32 AM by affun »

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #798 on: July 18, 2015, 12:38:31 AM »
Those great sword heads work well. I only tried with the Free Company/Mordheim heads and they were way too big, clearly the later kits had better proportions.

I can confirm the Fireforge ones also work well although the neck/socket might need a trim.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #799 on: July 22, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
GW heads?

Hadn't started looking at using those yet. I'd added some fireforge heads to make my Men at arms and soldiers look a little more professional. Now it looks like I've got some more options.  :D

Nice work.

Good to see, I was hoping to convert them with Flagelants bits (and vice versa), but when i heard they were compatible with 25mm minis i feared that would be impossible. I might give it a try now
Far less active than I used to...

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #800 on: July 22, 2015, 07:39:47 PM »
Good to see, I was hoping to convert them with Flagelants bits (and vice versa), but when i heard they were compatible with 25mm minis i feared that would be impossible. I might give it a try now

I have some flagellant bits as well. I'll go make a mockup, and snap a picture :)

Edit:

Allready done

Seems to fit pretty well. It's a little bit big and you might still need to trim the neck a bit, but thats pretty manageable.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 07:49:44 PM by affun »

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #801 on: July 22, 2015, 08:50:12 PM »
One from me. A thug with a head from the Empire State soldiers set.

Swapped out the axe for a club too.

A bit of green stuff to add still.

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #802 on: July 23, 2015, 09:35:11 AM »
It occurred to me, if you were a real cheapskate, you could actually make a Wizard and Apprentice from the box set. Quick conversion to carrying staffs, use the hooded heads. I'll get Kev on one, see what we can do.

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #803 on: July 23, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »
It occurred to me, if you were a real cheapskate, you could actually make a Wizard and Apprentice from the box set. Quick conversion to carrying staffs, use the hooded heads. I'll get Kev on one, see what we can do.

I'd been considering that, as well, but the actual wizards and apprentices turned out to be too good to resist.
Definitely looking forward to seeing what Kev comes up with.

I did another couple of builds with the plastic sprue. A treasure hunter and an archer, since I wanted one of both for my warband. They both still need to be greenstuffed, and the archer needs a lot more work, I think.

This head is from the pistoleers/outriders set by gw, and I mostly used it because of the skull. I thought it was fitting for a guy hanging out with a necromancer, even though the helmet propably is a bit too hightech when compared to the rest of the frostgrave miniatures. He looks propperly grizzled, though.
Apart from that, I did some weapon-swapping with one of the sword arms and the mace, as I wanted it to have a better pose. And then I stuck about as much baggage as I could muster onto him.

This guy is a bit more experimental, using a hat from warlord games. I am not too big a fan of this head, so I thought I'd try and fiddle a bit with it. He still needs a bit of work I think (mouldlines and greenstuff).

I find it quite fun to play around with this kit - it works pretty well together with most of the plastics I have, so thats a definite plus to me.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #804 on: July 27, 2015, 05:32:41 AM »
If anybody could snap some pictures of the frostgrave guys next to some Empire Free Company or Fireforge guys that would be very helpful.  I am really interested in these guys, but held off since they looked like they would scale better with LOTR 25mm stuff than the majority of the stuff I have in my current pile o' plastic, but your conversions have me giving them a serious second look.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #805 on: July 27, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »
If anybody could snap some pictures of the frostgrave guys next to some Empire Free Company or Fireforge guys that would be very helpful.  I am really interested in these guys, but held off since they looked like they would scale better with LOTR 25mm stuff than the majority of the stuff I have in my current pile o' plastic, but your conversions have me giving them a serious second look.

I already did that somewhere in this thread... Finding it might be an issue now  ::)
Scale perfectly with Fireforge (same sculptor), the Fireforge figures stand slightly taller but that's because of their surprisingly thick base, not the figure. Empire Free Company have rather cartoonish proportions when compared to more modern figures, similar height but I found the heads etc too big to use in conversions. The more modern Empire plastics however combine very well. LotR figures... Depends which ones. The older plastics are more 25mm and will be dwarfed, the newer ones are much closer to 28mm and might mix okay.

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
« Reply #806 on: July 27, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
If anybody could snap some pictures of the frostgrave guys next to some Empire Free Company or Fireforge guys that would be very helpful.  I am really interested in these guys, but held off since they looked like they would scale better with LOTR 25mm stuff than the majority of the stuff I have in my current pile o' plastic, but your conversions have me giving them a serious second look.

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/frostgrave-soldiers-size-comparison-shot.html

Offline Awesomeshotdude

• Librarian
« Reply #807 on: July 27, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/frostgrave-soldiers-size-comparison-shot.html

Ah, I forgot about this picture...good memory mate :)

...and just to make it easier;

From left to right:

Perry's Sudanese, Gripping Beast Dark Age Warrior, Frostgrave Soldier, GW Lord of the Rings, Frostgrave Soldier, Fireforge plastic, Frostgrave metal thief.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #808 on: July 28, 2015, 04:38:40 AM »
Thanks everybody, I have seen that scale picture already, and it was the one that made me pass on buying the miniatures.  I was hoping for some additional pictures next to some GW 'heroic scale' miniatures. 

They look pretty small compared to the Fireforge stuff, but the conversions with the GW parts look good, so I wanted a second look at them.

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #809 on: July 28, 2015, 07:16:03 AM »
Thanks everybody, I have seen that scale picture already, and it was the one that made me pass on buying the miniatures.  I was hoping for some additional pictures next to some GW 'heroic scale' miniatures. 

They look pretty small compared to the Fireforge stuff, but the conversions with the GW parts look good, so I wanted a second look at them.

Way too small for my liking, but I have been thinking about getting a set for a northern tribe of Hobgoblins. Then I can use the heads on GW figures and the height becomes perfectly fine :).