Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:11:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 604
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

WotR men at arms (Nord)
The Emperor’s finest (Lt Hazel)

Author Topic: ROUND 1 WotR men at arms vs The Emperor’s finest  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
ROUND 1 WotR men at arms vs The Emperor’s finest
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:39:24 AM »

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
Re: ROUND 1 WotR men at arms vs The Emperor’s finest
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:06 AM »
Though I like the horses very much and especially the muscle-effect (and is this non metal metal with the riding knights?) what it did for me was the metall armour of Nord's entry.

I am impressed with the not-shiny-shinyness. There seem to be a greenish patina on it. Please tell me it was intend and You can tell how to reproduce it. ;)
It is a nice counter to these shiny mithril silver armoury all over the genre.

best wishes
DK

best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline artshiraz

• Scientist
    • http://miniatures.mehlinger.net/
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
Interesting this

while the tenor of this entry should be the armour, I found that my eye was drawn to the flags/banners shown in both entries.
The second entry has an amazing banner and the dragon design on the first entry falls flat though it was cleanly repeated on the "waistcoat" (Something I have not yet achieved correctly).
BUT
regarding the armour I found the first entry way better than the dull riders, though achieving such a dullness is high art indeed.

Thank you
50°17\\\'60N  8°16\\\'0E

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:55:58 AM »
Yep Nord´s armour is really cool. Congrats lad! In the TYW it was common practice to paint the armour black to prevent it from rusting. That´s what I tried to Show, unfortuatly no NMM-effect  ;)

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
I hadda go with the Schwartzreiter this time, though both look the On Campaign business.

Yep Nord´s armour is really cool. Congrats lad! In the TYW it was common practice to paint the armour black to prevent it from rusting. That´s what I tried to Show, unfortunately no NMM-effect 

I hadda look up NMM, & If you missed it, you did hit my Wow button.

Thank you both.

Valerik

"You be careful. People in masks cannot be trusted."
Fessik

BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:56:36 AM »
I am impressed with the not-shiny-shinyness. There seem to be a greenish patina on it. Please tell me it was intend and You can tell how to reproduce it. ;)
It is a nice counter to these shiny mithril silver armoury all over the genre.

Thanks for the comment, mithril silver with black wash is the worst thing* GW ever brainwashed into the masses. There is a sheen in there, it's a chainmail metal paint, a basic wash of a dark grey, then glazes here and there of various colours, cool blues and greens towards the top of the model, browner shades towards the base. It's pretty subtle to be honest, surprised (and pleased) you picked it up.

I like the blackened armour of the horsey boys, nice staging too.

Flags and freehand are the bane of my life, though I was quite pleased with these wyverns. My faction is the Clifford household, a red wyvern on a white field being their heraldry.

*maybe blacklining is even worse

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »
Quote from: Nord
Thanks for the comment, mithril silver with black wash is the worst thing* GW ever brainwashed into the masses. There is a sheen in there, it's a chainmail metal paint, a basic wash of a dark grey, then glazes here and there of various colours, cool blues and greens towards the top of the model, browner shades towards the base. It's pretty subtle to be honest, surprised (and pleased) you picked it up.
That is why I like the LPL so much, it forces You to watch for details.
Thanks for the little how-to.

Although I do not completely agree to Your general - and maybe not in that way intended - comment about painting-style. I too think it sad to name one style better or superior to any other. So even blacklining can be useful in certain situations. The trick is to know when to use what and how.
Right now I personally do not like to use washes, but it is possible to get wonderful results, when used wisely. At the moment I like to train myself again doing my own highlights, because I have used them to extensively for quite a while. Same maybe for the examples You have seen with blacklining from others.

But maybe that is a bigger discussion for a later time. ;)

best wishes
DK

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »
Bump!
One day left to vote on this match.
Please vote and support the contestants :)