Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rome sweet Rome. A planned project and a question.  (Read 5423 times)

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
Rome sweet Rome. A planned project and a question.
« on: April 14, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
Hey guys. ( Not sure if this is the right place. Will move if it not suppose to be here.)

Starting to draw up a plan for another project based on the internet hit Rome sweet Rome. Will be easy enough to get the marines and Romans, but have a very odd question that puzzling me. Could a roman ballista get through the front glass of a marine humvee?

Thanks for any help

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Rome sweet Rome. A planned project and a question.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
I am not so sure considering I have seen the ballistic glass stop bullets. But you could totally deflate a tire. And might even be able to get into the engine block.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
The answer may not be as simple as that... For example, tests have shown that modern bulletproof vests (without solid trauma plates) are quite adept at stopping a bullet, but not an arrow from a medieval bow. Something to do with the way the material responds to the differing speed and weight of these vastly different projectiles. Also, apparently, a flexible arrow shaft causes a sort of jackhammer effect at the point aiding penetration of the fabric layers.
A bullet causes a high energy impact through speed but has a relative low mass, dissipate the kinetic energy and most of the danger is averted. A ballista bolt is a significant amount of mass at slower speed. That sort of kinetic energy is harder to dissipate as you can't dissipate the projectile's mass or inertia.
I personally think a hummer window would stop the bolt at anything beyond point blank, but would worry how deep the projectile would penetrate before coming to a standstill. Even it was stopped a third of the way of the projectile length it could still injure the driver. We really should have someone with too much money run some live fire tests... :)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 08:36:23 AM »
Was thinking along the same lines as Modhail.
Some years ago there was a scare that terrorists would start using crossbows.
Tests showed that a bolt fired with 2-handed crossbow went through a torso when fired up to 90m. A small model (crossbow-pistol) could do it up to 10m.
So a large bolt fired from a ballista... (also take in account the speed of the vehicle: standing still or moving towards the firer at say 60 km/h would make quite a difference IMO)
As for the engine block.. Meh, don't see that happen.
It would be able to penetrate a radiator though and since this is the SF board, a tyre could prove very difficult :
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:15:21 PM »
A ballista would very likely go through the windshield of a humvee.  Bullets, while exceptionally dangerous are extremely small and expend all of their energy suddenly.  A ballista round would have some serious momentum behind it.  Now if you're talking about heavily up-armored HUMVEE's...perhaps not.  I would argue it'd likely crack the windshield terribly regardless.

Mass times acceleration and all that.  A small 55-grain bullet may be travelling at 3000 fps, but a 4-5 lb. ballista at 100-150 mph would do serious damage. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
From what I remember in regards to my time doing archery, point blank range, as in, within a couple of feet of a bow, the arrows will be less potent.

I would also say it would be pretty darned hard to fire a ballista that accurately. It wasn't aimed in the same way as a bow and tended to be deployed against blocks of troops where it was guaranteed a hit.

As for glass - it's an interesting one. The angle of the glass would be as important as it's resistance, I also suspect it depends upon the materials used in the construction of the bolt. Are you talking modern compounds or Roman ones? If Roman, I suspect it wouldn't penetrate.

Arrows are funny things, I have shot one at a health tree trunk and watched as the head sheared off and the shaft shattered into splinters.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »
God I love this discusion! I don't believe anybody has mentioned the diference in material strenght of a bolt vs a bullet. I would argue a straight hardwood bolt shaft, let alone a metal tiped one, is much better for penetration then a lead bullet which smudges out pretty much instantly.

I'm curious if there is anything to find on the acuracy of balistas. Crosbows are pretty acurate as far as I am aware.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 05:56:42 PM »
It's not a question of accuracy - more how it is aimed. And then you have to factor in range as well.

If you are shooting a bolt at a moving vehicle that is going across or oblique to the facing of the ballista I would question it's ability to follow the target or even lead it at all.

I think the bolt hitting the glass itself would represent very slim odds indeed. That's before discussing whether it would get through the glass.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 06:05:24 PM »
Hypotetically, in a combat situation, in a relatively urban enviroment, say a fort where one might find a balista, the hummer would probably not travel that fast and the path would probably be predictable since a fort would have a single route designed for carts which the bummer might run into.