Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:35:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Star Wars Trailer  (Read 20654 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: New Star Wars Trailer
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
Yup, Wookies have a 200+ year lifespan
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
I also had someone explain to me that the race Chewbacca hails from live for an exceptionally long time, so in Chewie years (the film is set '20 years' after the last episode) he has only really aged a few years.
Dog years.  ;-)

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2015, 04:46:28 PM »
Looks pretty snazzy and sharp.  Abrams certainly knows how to make a movie. 

But I just can't get too excited about the trailer, as slick as it is. Don't get me wrong, I expect it will be an enjoyable film.  But do we really need yet another Star Wars movie, even if it's a good one?  I don't see much difference between this and Abrams' ST movies, or Crystal Skull, or even the Prequels.  It's just the same old stuff, dressed up in new clothes (except for Harrison Ford, who has to wear the same outfit as before) for purposes of nostalgia exploitation. 

Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2015, 05:12:59 PM »
for purposes of nostalgia exploitation. 

But that's what we want  ::)

Lucas fucked up big time, we want the feel of the original films, just tarted up a bit  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2015, 05:32:07 PM »
Against all better judgement and gut feeling, I am looking forward to that movie.....
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2015, 05:51:38 PM »
Simple answer from me: YES! :o 8)

I like Ep. IV-VI and I liked Ep. I-III.
I like CW and Rebels, so keep it coming the more the better.
I would love to see quality TV Series, just as Marvel is doing it with SHIELD, Agent Carter and Daredevil!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »
I didn't mind 1-3 I liked the big battles, and the Clone Wars in concept was really cool, I really didn't MIND the storyline or the characters much, but I loved the action scenes and the atmospheres.

4-6 I love because its one of the first things I remember ever watching. And Han Solo (and Indiana Jones tbf) were Child hood heroes.

Nostalgic or not though, I look forward to seeing these, there is plenty that could be done for Star Wars, its a huge universe, so why not utilise it? For those of us not particularly interested in the books etc this is a good avenue. In fact, as a kid, I always wondered what would happen after.

I always found that the end of something big was more interesting than all the events prior. Like the collapse of the Roman Empire, or the Soviet Union etc. Loads of paths they could explore with this.

Put it this way, I'm not much of a Trekkie fan, though I have watch Star Trek. The recent films were really cool from the perspective of someone not particularly involved in the 'lore'. And I really look forward to them doing more.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2015, 03:54:24 PM »
But that's what we want  ::)

Lucas fucked up big time, we want the feel of the original films, just tarted up a bit  :)
Absolutely correct!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2015, 06:44:11 PM »
I-III was complete rubbish. Kudos to those that can like it but its still just plain bad film making from every industry bench mark out there.

This on the other hand has some potential.

Removing lucas from the equation was exactly what this franchise needed to remain viable by the look of things. Driving over him repeatedly with a necromower would have been even better, but hey.

in other news its NOT tatooine its a planet called Jakku. Looks like the jawas dont get a golden era after all.

Battlefront will also include a free downloadable level available two weeks before Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens in theatres December 18. It’s set on Jakku, the battle-scarred desert planet glimpsed in Force Awakens teasers. The expansion, dubbed Battle of Jakku, will explore the moment following Return of the Jedi when the New Republic confronted Imperial holdouts on the previously unseen Outer Rim enclave.
“You never get to see it in the new movie, so it was this brilliant opportunity to recreate the Battle of Jakku, which you only see the remnants of in the movie,” said Bach. “In the game, you actually get to play the Battle of Jakku. It’s the same place from the new movie but 30 years earlier.”

Omg that sounds cool. Well looking forward to Battlefront.

Just wish there was a miniatures game that didn't focus purely on really small skirmishes, and didn't go OOP after a few years.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
I like CW and Rebels, so keep it coming the more the better.

Clone Wars and Rebels convinced me that the Star Wars lightning could be put back in the bottle.  Brilliant stuff.

No sitting on couches or walking down corridors talking about Trade disputes there!

Although like Brummie, there's a certain, mythic grandeur about Episodes I-III that I love.  Big battles, the Jedi in action and their nemesis!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »

It might seem an odd thing to focus on, but I really do like those armour tweaks.

But that's what we want  ::)

I can see what Gangleri means, though. The first nu-Trek movie was great in the cinema, sorta fine afterwards when I realised the old characters were made a bit unlikable, and I haven't even bothered watching the second yet. Not enough to convince me that JJ Abrams is some kind of visionary genius who leaves a young George Lucas in the shade. Not to be a killjoy, but there's still a chance the movie could be like a latter-day Simpsons episode - a few phoned-in appearances by guest stars (hey, remember this guy?) and a lot of ridiculous padding. We also got all excited coming up to 1999 (I assume), remember?

That said...

Clone Wars and Rebels convinced me that the Star Wars lightning could be put back in the bottle.  Brilliant stuff.

I only ever caught part of one episode of Rebels (the pilot?), but when they were trapped by imperial fire near the end and [spoilers]that guy stood up and put together that thing while the music played...[/spoilers] Man it was great.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:17:35 PM by Vermis »

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2015, 09:23:43 PM »
The trailer has put my faith back in Star Wars. Just what I wanted, and with the Rogue one story line about the search for the Death Star plans, things are looking good methinks

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »
A slight aside and not really wargaming related but I thought I'd share as this is my wife's airline and I'll be having a go later in the year  :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32346867/star-wars-plane-being-launched-by-all-nippon-airways-later-this-year

cheers

James

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2015, 06:03:21 AM »
A slight aside and not really wargaming related but I thought I'd share as this is my wife's airline and I'll be having a go later in the year  :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32346867/star-wars-plane-being-launched-by-all-nippon-airways-later-this-year

cheers

James
Looks awesome. Not a flyer but would ride int hat over the Hobbit one. :-)

But i do have to ask. Those wings. They supposed to be like that in flight?
Can see why i am NOT a flyer. :-)

Grimm

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2015, 12:33:33 PM »
More news about the 2016 SW movie Rogue One:
http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Director-reveals-plot-for-Star-Wars-film-Rogue-6209909.php

...so 2016 Rogue One, 2017 Ep VIII and 2019 Ep iX, glorious times for us fans indeed!  ;)