Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:06:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Information on Christian IV in TYW?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
Information on Christian IV in TYW?
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »
Hey! I've been tempted to order some of Warlords excellent looking plastic Thirty Years War soldiers, and wanted to try and paint them up as Christian IV's protestant army, the one that got badly beaten by Tilly.

Now the problem is I can't seem to find much info on them. All I know is that most soldiers were German mercenaries, so I guess the Warlord Imperials might do fine to represent most of them. Also there were supposed to be a large number of Cuirissars in the army.

Apart from that I'm not getting anywhere. Does anybody have an idea about uniforms, force composition and banners in Christian's ill-fated army? Thanks in advance!

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
    • http://captaingeneral.co.uk
Re: Information on Christian IV in TYW?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:12:05 PM »
Hi

Some years ago I put together some force lists for a TYW version of WECW which was published in wargames illustrated back in 2008
If you PM me with your email I'll send you my ramblings about the Danish army of Christian IV

also the stuff I gathered on Frederick the thirds force from 1655 on

Hope that may be of some help

regards

CG 8)

As the vulture flutters down,
The snake sheds it\'s dove,
Willem\'s cutting off his fingers,
So they\'ll fit into the glove.... http://captaingeneral.co.uk

Offline Callan

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »
Bill Boyle's Uniforms of the Thirty Years War has lots of relevant info and can be downloaded for free from Vexillia.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 12:49:16 AM »
Why don't you check Wikipedia? IIRC, I found something there on the Battle of Fleurus. And they have a general index re battles of the 30 YW.

Guys on TMP - 1 or 2 in particular - are really up on this stuff as well.

Yes, it would be an early 1600's army with 3/4 armoured cuirassiers and arquebusiers as the light cavalry component.

Offline ts

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 03:14:33 AM »
As I assume Tordenskjold is Danish, I will suggest you contact Chakoten.
On its old forum, now gone, was information on the subject, compiled from Danish sources.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 07:05:36 AM »
Bill Boyle's Uniforms of the Thirty Years War has lots of relevant info and can be downloaded for free from Vexillia.

Wow! I didn't know that! I'll be downloading that right now!

Thanks for letting us all know.

Darrell.

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the nice advice! I've downloaded the recommended painting guide an will look at Chakoten's site about finding some good references.

tiny point and not meaning to sound like a dick (but I will anyway)

No dickishness detected  :) I'm asking about the KING Christian the 4th of Denmark's involvement in the Thirty Years War and the protestant army he brought to Germany in what is sometimes called its 'Danish phase'.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
tiny point and not meaning to sound like a dick (but I will anyway)

I think instead of christian you mean catholic. All factions were christian, the big difference to my knowledge was down to how each feuding branch distributed the wine and crackers.

lol lol lol lol lol
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 01:41:14 AM »

Wow! I didn't know that! I'll be downloading that right now!

Thanks for letting us all know.

Darrell.

I don't mean to be the resident sourpuss but I'd take most of its content with more than a grain of salt.

Bill Boyle's compendium is a gallant and creditable effort and I can see why its 'one-stop shop' quality makes it very popular among figure painters, but a large part of the uniform info it provides is either seriously questionable or severely anachronistic. In many cases, the author simply ascribes to the TYW period uniform details pertaining to the 1670's or 1680's - this is particularly obvious in the case of the French army for which Boyle lists units which were not raised until the 1660's and 1670's.

One of the problems with the TYW - besides the difficulty in gaining access to primary documents and having the linguistic skills to read C17th German or French - is the proliferation of fake uniform info, often of German origin. For instance, it was not uncommon for late C19th flats manufacturers to produce painting guides for their miniatures by inventing uniforms and flags. Mark Allen experienced that sort of mishap when he wrote a series of articles on TYW uniforms for WI some twenty years ago, only to realise his German sources were mostly spurious after his first couple of pieces had been published  

For TYW Danish uniform info based on primary sources, have a look at the TMP threads linked below. Daniel Staberg knows his onions and bases his research almost exclusively on period documents :

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=207823

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=249971

Daniel (using his Gustav A/Captain Gars monikers) also provided many corrections to the Danish section of Boyle's guide :

http://http//theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=26111
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 03:27:26 AM by Arthur »

Offline Captaingeneral

• Scientist
  • BLOCKBUSTER
    • http://captaingeneral.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 10:06:10 AM »
What Arthur said!  :) :)

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »
What Arthur said. Daniel S provides more knowledge than the rest of the hobby put together on 30YW subjects.