Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:01:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Superheroes in 28mm (or so)?  (Read 10277 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Superheroes in 28mm (or so)?
« on: April 30, 2015, 05:00:05 PM »
If someone was looking to pick up some superhero figures for 28mm size gaming, what would people recommend? Hypothetically speaking they would be to use with existing figures for zombie and modern skirmish settings (Hasslefree, Empress,  Spectre, Militia, etc) utilising terrain and buildings from those collections.

I've seen a lot of Heroclix repaints, many of which look really good,  but size, paint stripping, and in some cases generally crudeness of sculpt seem to be issues. They do seem to be relatively easy to come by though and at reasonable prices in the main.

I've also seen the Reaper Chronoscope range which aren't the cheapest and seem to also be quite large (which isn't an issue for the more outlandish figures). The Reaper Bones versions are significantly cheaper but in some cases look to have been carved from a bar of soap the detail is so soft. They do have some nice figures though.

The Crossover range has a lovely comic book feel about it and  seems to be mid priced in the main. I've heard they are also more 30mm + sized.

Black Hat also have some nice looking figures but I've no idea how they scale with other ranges.

I've seen the Superfigs line on Old Glory US and there's some nice figures there but I can't locate a current UK or European supplier.

So, the question is what would people buy if they wanted 20 or so supers for a little side project that would be used with figures from Empress, Hasslefree, etc (as mentioned above)?

None of the supers have to be existing comic book or movie versions.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 05:27:54 PM by Elk101 »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Superheroes in 28mm (or so)?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 06:05:48 PM »

Don't forget about Pulp City also.

Based on price vs quality, Crossover is one of the best options.

Superfigs are nice if you can find a retailer...same for Reaper that discounts.

Repainted clix is always a cheap option as well plus with extra Crossover heads you  can convert figures also.

I myself use a variety: Reaper, Crossover, Repainted Clix, Pulp city, etc..along with other non-super designed ones that fit in.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 07:01:14 PM »
I love the Crossover-Figures. Extrem nice and good to paint. It is all the time a pleasure to paint these figures.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
Knight Models? They are about 30mm.
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »
Knight Models? They are about 30mm.
32mm I think

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 10:56:11 PM »
Nexus. They have a small range at the moment with some not-x men, Cyclops, wolverine, magneto..

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=69184.330

Cheers
Matt.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 01:21:52 AM »
Just with my "Homebrew" heroes, I have miniatures from Crossover, Superfigs, Reaper, Warlord Bolt-Action, Citadel, Heroclix, Privateer Press, Eureka and probably a few more. I don't focus on the "brand" of the figure, but whether it fits in with what I want the super to look like. Scale also isn't really an issue, heroes should be larger than life after all!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 02:15:42 AM »
I would agree that size (especially if it's toward the big end) isn't a problem with Superheroes.   I like the look of alot of the Reaper Chronoscope figs. and where as it's sometimes annoying when their post-apoc figs tower over my other figs, it wouldn't bother me at all for superhero figs.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 06:11:12 AM »
I would agree that size (especially if it's toward the big end) isn't a problem with Superheroes.   I like the look of alot of the Reaper Chronoscope figs. and where as it's sometimes annoying when their post-apoc figs tower over my other figs, it wouldn't bother me at all for superhero figs.
Agreed - you get supers in all shapes and sizes anyway.
Crossover do some grand stuff and get another vote of confidence, and Crooked Dice have models inthe 7TV range which can render service, and which are excellent quality too.

A selection of GW Eldar and Dark Eldar plastics mixed together tastefully can also provide a few supers, useful if some sprues can be bought 2nd hand.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 06:55:25 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I need something to paint to get me back into the routine of painting and I'm.on a.superhero buzz at the moment having just read an excellent history of superheroes in comic books and film.

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »
Just with my "Homebrew" heroes, I have miniatures from Crossover, Superfigs, Reaper, Warlord Bolt-Action, Citadel, Heroclix, Privateer Press, Eureka and probably a few more. I don't focus on the "brand" of the figure, but whether it fits in with what I want the super to look like. Scale also isn't really an issue, heroes should be larger than life after all!

To add to the size topic, not everyone is the same height and weight either, so even if something scales off a bit, sure a hero may be taller than normal but that is life as we see it also....I don't worry too much about scale as long as something fits my needs.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 04:11:38 PM »
The differences between 28 to 32 mm from three feet away on the tabletop is also relatively minimal, so overall I really don't mind like I used to.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 04:15:33 PM »
Yes, there is certainly a case for greater variety with supers.

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 05:44:09 PM »
This photo is one of my favorites.

Here is a size shot for my guys

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:51:59 PM by fergal »

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »
Also, in honor of this thread, how about an 'elk101' sale.  Enter 'elk101' in the cart coupon section for 15% off this week!   8)