Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:26:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690651
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 2012/08/25: Primarch Dorn, page 9  (Read 44665 times)

Offline colin_baillie

• Librarian
    • Eclipsing Binaries 15mm Scifi Blog
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 08-09-2011: Two Trundlin' Tanks (p.7)
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Chris, here's the scout with the shuriken catapult. I found some more metal scouts as well so attached a pic to see if you need any of them. They're all painted or undercoated - though, as usual, I haven't finished them, and they're nowhere near the standard of painting I can do now ::)

Let me know if there's anything here you want. I also have a couple of boxes with other very early Space Marines that I'd be happy to part with as well, so let me know if there are any you've been looking for. I'd love to see them painted to the standard you been doing. Wonderful stuff!!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2011, 10:22:15 PM »
Wonderful :o - will take all those scouts and possibly other stuff you want to get rid of. I'd be particularly interested in officer types (techmarines in particular), but any single-piece casting metal figures will be of interest, as well as old Land Speeders (both RT and 2ed versions) and Dreadnoughts.

Offline colin_baillie

• Librarian
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »
Nice one Chris. I'll get them photographed either today or tomorrow. I don't have any vehicles, but got plenty of the early marines - some were painted when I got them so they may need a right good clean.

I'd love to part with them for free but financial circumstances are really bad at the moment so if you can message me with a price I'll guarantee I'll accept it. (it's been over two months since I bought lead and I'm getting withdrawl shakes).

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
Bottom row, middle one = Dennis Hopper. At least in my painted version  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2011, 08:44:24 PM »
You are also after those?
per aspera ad astra

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2011, 09:22:08 PM »
You are also after those?

In principle, yes. More as a curiosity and for bunker/spaceship fights, depending on the loadout/combination of weapons and body parts, and depending on price.

Offline colin_baillie

• Librarian
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:24 PM »
I just painted some epic scale versions of those dreadnoughts as 15mm droids. I love the designs. They're much better than the boxy new ones.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2011, 08:57:54 AM »
I just painted some epic scale versions of those dreadnoughts as 15mm droids. I love the designs. They're much better than the boxy new ones.

I'm a bit in two minds on that - I really like the boxy dreads, as they were the ones around when I started out, but I also like the round, sleeker version of the old ones, although the new Forgeworld Contemptor seems to combine the best of both worlds - smooth, sometimes sleek lines, and a rugged robustness found in the box dread.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 23-09-2011: Game Report (p.8)
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »
Hi, a little update:

On Wednesday, I managed to play a game against my brother, using the boarding action rules from the Badab War book. Took some pics, although as always, I got caught up in the action too much to think of taking ENOUGH pics. lol

The scenario is set in the aftermath of the Siege of the Imperial Palace, after the Emperor slew Horus, and Imperial Forces are hard at work driving the traitors out of imperial territory. In the solar system, several pockets of resistance remain - one of these is the listening post/logistics base of Beta-Omicron on Rhea, orbiting Saturn. A strike team of Imperial Fists has been dispatched to purge the base of the traitors, who used it as a base to stage raids on the Jovian shipyards.

The loyalist forces comprised of a Chaplain on foot, a platoon (e.g. three squads) of tactical Marines split into six combat squads, a Contemptor Dreadnought and an Ironclad Dreadnought. The traitors (represented by my brother's Imperial Guard Galatean Regiment focused on Veteran Squads with a special-weapon-heavy loadout, a squad of penal legionnaires, a squad of Ogryns, one Lord Commissar and an Officer, as well as two plasma cannon-armed Sentinel walkers.

The battlefield was 4"x4", with the majority of the table as a built-up area (represented by some nice dungeon tiles). Outside of the BUA, the rules for Vacuum environment ("Cold Void") were in force, and we also used the possibility of catastrophic events, such as Wildfires and Decompression in the station. All troops were assumed to have sufficient equipment to fight in the void, but apart from the Dreadnoughts and Sentinels, no model had "Void-hardened" armour which provides extra protection under the rules. Basically, all attacks of strength 4 or more are made more deadly if made in a vacuum - this of course favours the Marines, who have S4 melee attacks AND boltguns, and makes the special weapons the Guardsmen have more valuable/mission critical.

This is the deployment stage. Half of each force is deployed (I managed to pass a roll that allowed my Marines to choose their deployment quarter, and chose to deploy close to the nearest airlocks); the rest is kept in reserve, which in my case were the three combat squads with missile launchers and one more squad with a close-range loadout. Imperial Fists are marked yellow, Traitors red, airlocks (counting as difficult terrain rather than blockades to be destroyed) are green, and the four objectives are blue (one plasma reactor, one communication node, and two Valkyrie gunships).

I was lucky enough to win the initiative roll and went first. My Contemptor breached the closest airlock, drawing line of sight of the plasma reactor and obliterating it with its assault cannon.

Other Marines followed suit, but some poor rolls meant I did not enter the station in force in the first turn. Related to that, the traitors repositioned themselves, but only got off a few desultory shots. One veteran squad with multiple meltaguns managed to get dangerously close to my Contemptor.

In round two, some reserves arrived - two of my combat squads, one with a missile launcher being dispatched to take out the Valkyrie parked outside the station. The squad of penal legionnaires, however, also arrived and made good headway to the Marines, charging through the cratered moonscape.

Inside the station, the Ironclad advanced inexorably and destroyed the communication node with a short-range melta blast.

Beyond the docking bay, however, things weren't looking as good - an Ogryn squad with attached Lord Commissar sprung from a side corridor (arriving from reserves) and charged the Marine combat squad and Chaplain, killing two Marines and wounding the Chaplain for only two wounds in return.

On a more positive note, the Contemptor swiftly rounded a corner, charged and dispatched a unit of Veterans wielding four meltaguns in melee - close call, that one, and only made possible due to the Contemptor being able to "Fleet" (i.e. move, run in the shooting phase, and charge subsequently). Groans ensued from my brother. :D

Outside, the penal legionaires managed to whittle down the Marine combat squad to three men, for only one loss in return - fortunately, I passed my leadership test, and hoped for reinforcements.

Round three saw the traitors reposition themselves to hold the docking bay.

The melee against the Ogryns continued, the Contemptor charging in to the rescue and taking down two of their number, the Chaplain and Lord Commissar being locked in a duel to the death, as the last of the Marines of combat squad Abel-One fell.

Timely, another combat squad of Marines arrived from reserves to charge the penal legionnaires. Under the combined onslaught of the two combat squads, they were cut down to the last man.

Round four saw the battle on the inside draw to a conclusion - the Contemptor and Chaplain managed to slay the last Ogryns and the Lord Commissar.

Outside, combat squads Abel-Two and Caspar-Two, having previously eliminated the penal legionaires, trained their missile launchers on the Valkyrie and obliterated it with well-placed missile shots.

With three objectives being destroyed, the traitors attempted a last-ditch firefight, directing a hail of plasma fire at the Contemptor, only to see it bounce off its atomantic force fields. Their leadership gone, the traitors surrendered to the mercy of the loyalists (and we all know how well that will end).

A fun game, although a number of lessons had to be learned.

First, the mission falls into the "Forgeworld LOVES Space Marines" category - high strength and good saves make them very effective, although to be fair, from the fluff, they should be. Still, if we want to play more boarding actions in the future (and I am sure we will, as it was quite exciting, fast and bloody), if the defenders are Imperial Guard, one needs to set up the table with more intervening terrain, and place objectives in a way that makes them harder to reach. Also, next time we will be using stratagems - especially in a sabotage mission, delaying the attackers will be critical.

Second, the Contemptor is brutal. It costs a lot of points (almost 200), but it is painfully fast and nimble, as well as awfully well-protected by its high armour and shields. I probably will not field it anymore unless I have told my opponent in advance (I had mentioned it to my brother before, but the number of AT weapons he brought were not up to the task and quickly reduced by the Contemptor's agility). It's awesome to play from a Marine player's point of view, and even better in the BUA than the Ironclad, but even I think it is dangerously close to being overpowered.

Still, fun was had by all, although it turned into frustration for the traitors. lol

I strongly recommend giving rules like this a try - that said, the Badab War book is quite pricey, and a similar set of rules was available a few years back from Games Workshop themselves (in one of the Chapter Approved books), and the free Badab War PDF put out by the Fly Lords of Terra and Bell of Lost Souls (which came out a couple of years ago, mid-2000s, IIRC) has another nice variant which should play nicely. In particular, if the armies are closely matched in capability, e.g. Marines vs. Traitor Marines, or Marines vs. Eldar, it should make for an exciting departure from the usual slugfests. That said, the next game will probably be a big tank battle, Marines vs. Guard, and I am looking forward to that one, as well, although I need to figure out how to bring in some ack-ack to deal with his air cavalry.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:31:14 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 23-09-2011: Game Report (p.8)
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:31 AM »

Cool AAR.  Looks like a fun game.  The ogryns look a little underdressed for the occasion though ;)

Fun to see the RTB01 Space Marines on a table again too.  'My guys havent seen action since '93 I think.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 8-10-2011: Landing Pad and Dreadnought Gun
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
Hi all, a small update (more to come over the next days or week, including a second Land Raider tank, some smaller vintage Marine tanks, and a Terminator Chaplain):

Last week, I used some Robogear bits to build a heavy conversion beamer for my Contemptor dreadnought - I am not sure if I will actually use the option, as it pretty much makes it a very static platform (and invalidates the high mobility and resulting battlefield flexibility), but it looks quite nice and retro.

Also, I painted this landing pad as a favour for my brother - it's a hard foam piece made and sold by the German company Ziterdes and quite well done - about 8" in diameter, moulded in a dark gray that forms a good base for painting, and features crisp and fine detail. Couldn't be bothered (or would at least ponder it very, very hard) to spend several hours to save the 20 Euros it cost.

It's painted to match an Adeptus Mechanicus army my brother is planning to raise, and we hope to play a small, narrative campaign set shortly after the Horus Heresy soon, featuring lots of combat drops and planetary assaults, and maybe integrate some Battlefleet Gothic space battles, too. More news on that as it develops.

Toodles!

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 8-10-2011: Landing Pad and Dreadnought Gun
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2011, 11:20:33 AM »
I'm liking that Contemptor more and moe, you've done a cracking job on it  :-* I really like the base as well  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Hi all,

once more, a decidedly topical update.

I recently painted my second Land Raider and finally finished all the decal and varnishing work:

Both Land Raiders arrayed:

This time, I used a diagonal black hull band to break up the yellow, and although it doesn't look too bad, I think I'll stay with the vertical option for future vehicles (not Land Raiders, probably, since two is pretty much all I need).

Furthermore, I added some extra armour and a dozer blade to the old Vindicator conversion, and repaired some paint chipping. The actual Vindicator kit (pictured left in the bottom pic) looks a bit nicer, but they work well together, IMHO.

Finally, a terminator chaplain which I bought around New Year's Eve 2005. Took me about 6 years to paint. Still missing a back banner, mainly because I could not yet decide on what would be a good name.

Offline The Breaker

• Scientist
  • Enjoyably annoying
I've got that exact model waiting for paint for my small Imp Fists army. I like what you've done with him to tie in with the rest of the army.
"We shot them under rule 303"

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
I've got that exact model waiting for paint for my small Imp Fists army. I like what you've done with him to tie in with the rest of the army.

Thanks! I think it worked quite nicely with the above model, but I did not use the split approach for the two power-armoured chaplains I field (more regularly). I'm also painting a Librarian, but that one will get yellow armour with blue accessories (loincloth etc.) to distinguish him, as I am not sure if a blue-yellow split would work so well.

Anyway, by means of a micro-update, a metal Landspeeder which I bought 15 years ago, to the day.