Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 2012/08/25: Primarch Dorn, page 9  (Read 44668 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 2012/08/25: Primarch Dorn, page 9
« on: October 09, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »
Hey folks,

I just wanted to show, on and off, my attempts at building a currently-playable Space Marine force using old stuff. Sometime in Spring, I decided I didn´t want to do any GW anymore and sold off all the "replacable stuff". Unfortunately, it´s hard to get away from the drug, and when I played a game of the new rules with my brother, I was rather impressed that this might become a fun game again, under the assumption that I only play with reasonable folks and not that tournament crowd.

So, I´m waiting for some Space Marines to arrive, and some two weeks ago, I painted some ancient Space Marine Scouts which were among my very first purchases back in 1996 when I started with 40k. Took me a day to strip them of the atrocious old paintjob, then about a week on and off to paint. Since I´m currently burdened with painting horrible 15mm commissions (I love Italian trucks, but all FOW infantry is a pain in the posterior), it may take some time, but I hope to do some over the course of the weekend, and will also take some pics of the old stuff I had already painted - Argonor, if you read this, the minis I got from you had been painted quickly enough, and will feature soon. So I hope.

With these figures, I´ll go for a modern painting technique approach, but will do a style more akin to the "good old days" when Space Marine heraldry was painted on and not sculpted resulting in a myriad of nooks and crannies. So the Marines, as I consider appropriate, will sport checkerboards, warning stripes, maybe a tribal tattoo on some exposed skin.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 05:34:31 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Blast from the Past
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:13:07 AM »
Very very nice Chris !
, ,

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:43:33 AM »
Looking forward to see those I traded to you  ;)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Zafarelli

• Resin Nabob
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://www.pardulon-models.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:47:46 AM »
(I love Italian trucks, but all FOW infantry is a pain in the posterior)
Come on, say it! You know you want to  ;D

Nice job on the yellow, though. What palette did you use for shading? Every time I try to paint straight yellow, it turns out brown.
Resin buildings, scenery and other useful stuff: www.pardulon-models.com

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 09:29:32 AM »
(I love Italian trucks, but all FOW infantry is a pain in the posterior)
Come on, say it! You know you want to  ;D

Nice job on the yellow, though. What palette did you use for shading? Every time I try to paint straight yellow, it turns out brown.

Scythes of the Emperor? cool.

http://www.the-scythes.com

http://www.the-scythes.com/images/seven/scy_art_card.jpg

I find with yellow it's all in the prep and thin coats of paint. prep the surface with a thinned down white, let it dry completely, work in your yellow, thinned with yellow ink/glaze etc.... then just keep building.

If you're patient you get very nice results. Also light brown washes are your friends!

Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 09:39:12 AM »
Yellow's a bugger, all right!

I've recently experimented on an old sub-standard casting with the GW "Iyanden Darksun" as a base coat, and a couple of layers of different yellows on top [some of the Vallejo paints, but I can't remember which ones]. It looks pretty good - the Darksun is a decent shade for the usual yellow and a final thin brown wash gives a bit more depth.

I like the sound of the Commander's method, but it's seems a bit long-winded for my ever-shrinking painting time, though  :(

I must get that figure!  It's a very dynamic and well-sculpted pose:D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »
Quote from: Gluteus Maximus

I think it's a conversion of a Hasslefree with a clix-head
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:01:41 AM by Argonor »

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
Like the scout, they made me think of the good old days. Maybe I should give the new edition of 40k a shot...

Getting the yellow color right is indeed alway tricky, I also start often with a browinsh yellow color as a start, but more important after that I paint the miniatures with a yellow white (1:1) mix as base color and give it a wash with brown tinted yellow paint afterwards. (or orange depending on the color your are going for)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 11:10:45 AM »
They are looking very good , I made the decision to stick with my old Rhinos for my Sisters and Valhalens and sold everything else . Not sure if I will ever game with them as our club has a Tournament crowd.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 11:25:44 AM »
Quote from: Gluteus Maximus

I think it's a conversion of a Hasslefree with a clix-head

Ah yes, it looks very Hasslefree-ish, but the helmet threw me  ::)

Should be an easy conversion, though.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »
Hey folks, thanks for the replies.

Zafarelli, THIS kind of posterior pain I don´t need! Unfortunately, I struck a deal with an acquaintance, accepting a box of ECW/TYW figures as downpayment for figure painting, only realising when counting the figures in the box that I had allowed for a "voucher" of 700+ Euros! So now I´m stuck with painting those tiny buggers. Since I charge about 75cent-1€ for a 15, and 5€ for a vehicle, do the math... Gosh, I will NEVER start 15mm myself!

As for the yellow, my Imperial Fists (not SotE, although those are cool as well), from now on, will be painted as follows. Other paints can be substituted for it, but I recommend this combination/sequence.

First, I basecoat a clean white, usually spray, but those scouts were hand done using Revell Aqua Color Flat White.

Then, I coat them Yellow, using Revell Aqua Color Flat Yellow (now you did NOT see that one coming! lol).

Next, I paint on a wash of Vallejo Model Color Orange Rust, which is available in the Panzer Aces II set, if I´m not mistaken. I try to only apply it to the recesses, but since Revell Flat Yellow covers so well, it´s not that problematic. This Orange Rust, as the name implies, is a more "orangey" orange in contrast to the "brownish" variants, which look murky on yellow. I would, for example, use the latter on taxi cabs or any vehicle for that matter, but not on figures - those look better if a bit brighter, especially for EP-suits and lacquered armour (such as the Space Marines).

Finally, I apply another coat of yellow to clean up, followed by selective, but larger-spaced highlights using a mix of Revell Flat Yellow and Revell Flat White. Not too much white since it will look chalky, just one or two layers to give some depth.

Next, and this is really important: After painting the yellow areas, I take great care when painting the non-yellow areas, since the yellow looks so much better if contrasted with another strong tone, in this case black, which itself is lightened with some white splotches here and there (one of the scouts has a striped padded shoulder pad, the other a checkerboard one - have to take a detail photo).

BTW, the Marines arrived today, so I hope to meet the neighbours to collect the parcel soon.

On that figure, could that be one of the RAFM figures? I had seen they had a "Bride" and wanted it, but never got around ordering it. It could be another pose, though. The Helmet reminds me of the old Grenadier Future Warriors bikers.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 04:49:19 PM »
So, a batch of Marines arrived today (thank you, Strand!) and here´s a pic of the figures that started the whole shenanigan. Got them in a swap from Argonor (thank you, Argonor!).

More and better pictures soon. I hope.

Offline Ramshackle_Curtis

• Mastermind
    • http://www.ramshacklegames.co.uk/
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 06:09:42 PM »
Nice paint jobs and some classic models. I posted up some old photos of some older models.
http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=2720

Since taking them I have rebased all the marines, plus added a whole load more to make a current gaming army. I shall psot image sup sometime in the next 6 months!

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 07:41:10 AM »
Very cool! I had the same idea, but we never play 40k so I won't continue what I have until I do I think, you can see my models here:

http://frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16706

They were originally painted for a Necromunda/2nd edition hybrid ("Rogue Munda"), which didn't turn out to be as cool as we had hoped. The next plan (for the future) is either playing 2nd edition games with it, or trying the 5th edition (more likely).

Anyway, looking good and I eagerly await seeing more! :)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 12:26:42 PM »
More Marines:

And a Techmarine, birthday gift from my brother (but painted by yours truly):

The pics turned out rather mediocre. Will try to take better ones soon.