Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690740
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Imperial Fists Miscellanea - 2012/08/25: Primarch Dorn, page 9  (Read 44669 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Blast from the Past
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 12:30:40 PM »
A techie with a tool for once  :D
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »
Awesome! Though I believe techmarines back in the day wore chapter colours rather than red (still though, that is one fine paintjob ;)).
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 03:30:59 PM »
Awesome! Though I believe techmarines back in the day wore chapter colours rather than red (still though, that is one fine paintjob ;)).

It might be! I never could find a definitive answer to that - the only actual reference I have is WD139, in which Tim Prow painted one for the then Studio Blood Angel Army. This one being red of chapter colour did NOT help.

On the other hand, Medics were already white and Chaplains black, so I would not be surprised to see Techmarines in red as well. I do consider, however, repainting the backpack to yellow to add some more colour and tie him in closer to the rest of the Marines. I had considered to paint the lower leg armour complete yellow, but that didnīt work with the checkerboard (right leg) and industrial stripes (left leg), and it didnīt look neither Imperial-Fist-ey nor Techmarin-ey.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 12:10:12 AM »
Quote from: Gluteus Maximus

I must get that figure!  It's a very dynamic and well-sculpted pose:D

I think it's a conversion of a Hasslefree with a clix-head

Ah yes, it looks very Hasslefree-ish, but the helmet threw me  ::)

Should be an easy conversion, though.

Right:

Kat body (head removed)
Sculpted biker helmet. (Heroclix!!! what an insult! :)).
basque resculpted into biker jacket with racing patches added
hair sculpted
sadie's left arm x2 one rotated, drilled and pinned, re sculpted shoulder to match.
katana blade made and pinned.

Yeah easy!   ::)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 12:12:33 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 10:55:58 AM »

As I'm already in Haderslev (going to Billund to fly to London later in the day) I cannot pull out my copy of Rogue Trader to confirm this, but I THINK I remember them wearing chapter colours with a red shouldpad showing the Adeptus Mechanicus badge....

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 12:14:10 PM »
As I'm already in Haderslev (going to Billund to fly to London later in the day) I cannot pull out my copy of Rogue Trader to confirm this, but I THINK I remember them wearing chapter colours with a red shouldpad showing the Adeptus Mechanicus badge....

Great... this one doesnīt even have shoulder pads!  lol

Have a good trip, though!

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »
I believe the symbol was a hand/claw, which is also what the techs have as shoulderpad (you can see it on Chris' mini as well, all the techmarine models have those), the other side has a lot of technical looking bits. Of course the red armour was introduced at some point, so the red shoulder pads sound plausible 8)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »
I believe the symbol was a hand/claw, which is also what the techs have as shoulderpad (you can see it on Chris' mini as well, all the techmarine models have those), the other side has a lot of technical looking bits. Of course the red armour was introduced at some point, so the red shoulder pads sound plausible 8)

It was only a yellow hand or claw shaped shoulder pad with the industrial black and yellow cheveron pattern. I have the first Space Marine paintset and painting guide. tech hand was as well as being painted on the shoulder pad but also on the front of the MKVI armour's beakie helmet (over the eyes).

Red was a very late addition to the colour scheme. Same for medics who depending on chapter had arms or sections of armour white/red.

I think I've got it scanned, if so I'll post it up later

The Commander

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 10:46:11 PM »
nice marines! the color scheme is remenisant of the lamenters chapter of marines

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »
When I'm home I'll check my "space marine painting guide". Mind you, not one of the new ones, bu the one that came with the space marine paint set in the RT days.

Still looks nice though!
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »
It was only a yellow hand or claw shaped shoulder pad with the industrial black and yellow cheveron pattern. I have the first Space Marine paintset and painting guide. tech hand was as well as being painted on the shoulder pad but also on the front of the MKVI armour's beakie helmet (over the eyes).

Red was a very late addition to the colour scheme. Same for medics who depending on chapter had arms or sections of armour white/red.

The Commander

That'd be great! I haven't seen it yet and since I haven't got any techs painted it would be cool to see it before I do 8)

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »

I should learn to read messages a bit better ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Imperial Fists Miscellanea
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »
So it has been two and a half years since I last did some stuff for the Space Marines, and to be honest, I thought I had gotten that bug out of my system.

But I am weak, weak, I say (cue copious amounts of mock sympathetic comments and well-deserved mockery). Out of a whim, I bought one of the "Horus Heresy" Novels. Big mistake. While not grand literature by any standard, it was quite an entertaining read, and I had this idea of painting some more Space Marines (and actually get the army playable in a non-tournament environment).

Unfortunately, I couldn't quite get myself to paint the figures I bought from fellow LAFer Eastern Barbarian a couple of months ago - as much as I love Rogue Trader stuff, this time, I wanted to go with the times a bit and "downgrade" the current kits to match with "earlier" (fluff-wise) armour designs.

So I bought a tactical squad, a venerable Dreadnought, a heavy weapons squad and dug out some terminators I originally wanted to convert into Imperial Rottweilers for ABC warriors (for which I then used 50p-a-figure Viridian Assault Marines, go figure). Combine this with some Forgeworld resin weaponry (shameful, shameful extravagance!) and chrome steel balls from Hasslefree, and I got this bunch.

I'll add some pics of the Devastators once I finish them. More pics and some work-in-progress shots showing the conversions can be found here.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »

Must resist must resist, (have about 3KG of heresy era parts and pieces for a 30k dark angel and Death Guard force) forgeworld RT weapons are nice but bloody expensive. ;)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »
Must resist must resist, (have about 3KG of heresy era parts and pieces for a 30k dark angel and Death Guard force) forgeworld RT weapons are nice but bloody expensive. ;)

Honestly, I think that the weapon sets are by far the best value for money. The Space Marines, IMHO, are very expensive, whereas for the bolters and heavy weapons you're looking at about a pound per figure extra, which is still quite a whopper, but still acceptable.

That said, they are very nicely done, the special weapons being particularly good-looking IMHO, and I've come to the stage where I am willing to pay for saving me quite some conversion work.

Still, for the Marines, I opted for the plastic versions and added the rivet heads by hand. The only thing I regret is buying cheap plastic pearls for use on the back packs, as the superglue doesn't seem to bond them properly - I should have shelled out for the chrome steel balls in that size, too.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:21:12 AM by Westfalia Chris »