Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:14:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming The Korean War in 28mm -Are there any figs ?  (Read 13022 times)

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
Gaming The Korean War in 28mm -Are there any figs ?
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:21:03 AM »
I have long wanted to do this in 28mm and I know of the figs that 1stCorps make but wanted to know if anyone knows of any other dedicated ranges in 28mm?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Gaming The Korean War in 28mm -Are there any figs ?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:49:33 AM »
Not as far as I am aware, it truly is the 'Forgotten War'.  :?

The old Bolt Action U.S. Army in the M1943 uniform would have worked fairly well to a point, but they are history. WWII U.S. Marines fit the bill for the first year of the war. There is nothing else even remotely suitable for the KPA or anyone else though.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 07:02:21 AM »
20mm would be a better thing, Reiver have a large range and tanks/vehicles would be easy to source.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 12:35:07 PM »
Acheson designs do some 28mm figures, although I honestly can't remember what.

If you go down the 20mm route, RH models/liberation miniatures have some bits
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »
Acheson has US Army in winter clothing and Chinese.

1st corps has British and Chinese

Rumours say that Adarga Castings, an upcoming manufacturers is working on KPA. But they are silent from last november...

Link: https://adargacastings.wordpress.com/

Artizan Designs US Army in great coat could work for some units in the first winter.

Said that... manufacturers have forgotten the War in 28mm...
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
I find that the Warlord games Siberian infantry can work as a proxies. But of course not perfect. Same with their Nisei infantry box for some ROK forces.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:30:37 PM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »
1st Corps do some pretty bloody ordinary British and Chinese figures.  A dedicated range would be nice. There are no suitable North Koreans in 28mm.

Commisarmoody did say he was looking into doing some 1950s US Army. Let's all give him a push along. :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
Somebody needs a push... In a world where you can get 'Venusian female grenadiers', 'Clockwork-punk Turks with something or other' (probably, who knows?) and other assorted tosh, or a different figure for every German paratrooper who ever fought in WW2, surely a decent range of Korean War figures shouldn't be too much to ask for?

What is the problem? No bumper to bumper tanks? Not enough swastikas? I mean, Michael Caine fought in that bloody war! Isn't that enough by itself to get things going? You can get virtually every vehicle used in that conflict, in whatever scale you like, but no decent bloody figures!

:?

Sorry... it's 30° here and I'm not used to it yet.  ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 07:18:16 PM »
Somebody needs a push... In a world where you can get 'Venusian female grenadiers', 'Clockwork-punk Turks with something or other' (probably, who knows?) and other assorted tosh, or a different figure for every German paratrooper who ever fought in WW2, surely a decent range of Korean War figures shouldn't be too much to ask for?

What is the problem? No bumper to bumper tanks? Not enough swastikas? I mean, Michael Caine fought in that bloody war! Isn't that enough by itself to get things going? You can get virtually every vehicle used in that conflict, in whatever scale you like, but no decent bloody figures!

:?

Sorry... it's 30° here and I'm not used to it yet.  ;)

You will, just keep your fluids up. Thirty is pleasant it can become a little trying at 40, day after day after day.

I suspect most people have a view of Korea as WW1 with better air support  and like many contemporary conflicts fought solely in the hills outside Los Angeles. Otherwise the popular view would consider it the war in which Alan Alda made his mark on television.

I strongly suspect if there was a decent range of figures, people would buy in.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:20:36 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »
Come on Commisarmoody you know you want to.....

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 07:40:15 PM »
Rumours say that Adarga Castings, an upcoming manufacturers is working on KPA. But they are silent from last november...

Silent no more.  They've announced North Korean infantry in 28mm today:
https://adargacastings.wordpress.com
Found via TMP.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 07:43:26 PM by Steve F »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »
They look a bit ropey. A pity.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
The two masters I clocked on the site looked quite good... maybe it's a bad photo on top of the wash which rarely looks good in photos? Mark Evans (presuming it's the same one) did some decent WWII figures a while back, so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt right now.

I am fairly certain the KPA didn't use Thompsons and Arisakas though (I've been wrong before mind)... whatever Wikipedia says. Personally I might have gone for the most-commonly-seen-in-photos weapons, or at least the same supplier-type of weapons across a unit if nothing else... clearly supplying several different types of bullet wasn't an issue, while issuing the same set of seasonal clothing apparently was, as some are in Summer uniforms, some not.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »
Well I've looked at the masters and er well I now think 'ropey' was a masterful piece of understatement.

I may be wrong but on the whole I believe Koreans, especially those of 60 odd years ago tended to the diminutive in terms of stature. That being the case it's interesting to see one of the KPA figures towering a good head and shoulders above Artizan design US infantry which are hardly the smallest 28mm figures out there. Clearly the sculptor is a believer in individual size differences because the one on the far right is about half scale compared to the Richard Kiel figure toting the tommy gun.

The sculpting itself is far from inspiring in fact you would have to say it's a retrograde step compared to even the First Corps stuff. As for the weapons, well I suspect the KPA did have access to thousands of ex Japanese rifles but I always understood that the Russians had done a pretty comprehensive job or re-arming them with Soviet weaponry. The Chinese did have a much more mixed inventory.

Sadly, I'll pass on these. Not my cuppa. Others mileage may vary.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 05:47:50 PM »
Maybe that's why they were pushed back from the Pusan Perimeter... all the tall guys, who were put in the initial offensive had been killed off.  >:D

Fairly common issue though. How many of you have looked at a VC/NVA/ARVN figure and thought "I thought you'd be smaller"?  :?