Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 01:07:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696514
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 566
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Small SYW Action Photo Report  (Read 914 times)

Offline Fat Wally

• Assistant
    • Fat Wally's Lardloving Wargames
Small SYW Action Photo Report
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »
Hi chaps,

A couple of weeks ago we fought an encounter using DKK based upon 'The Breakthrough' scenario from CS Grant's 'The Raid on St Michel'.  Here is a quick photo report.....

Prussians attacking from left to right (South to North), with Saxon's defending the bridge and village.  The terrain is rolling with gentle hills and rises.  The river is unfordable and crossable only at the bridge.

Largely open terrain with a few added copses.  The Prussians arrive on the road in column of companies.

Derek's Saxon cavalry deployed east of the village waiting for the enemy to dare to cross.

Prussian Hussars and Dragoons spearhead the advance. 

Two Garrison quality Saxon battalions in the village, two Line battalions behind the village, plus one gun on the hill

Lone Saxon gun limbers up and moves at the pace of a ploughman....oooh talking of a ploughman there he is...

Prussian boldness or is it rashness?  I decided to head straight over the bridge with my lead Hussars and catch the Saxons before they're ready.  I learned they were ready.  Hussars routed.

Frei-Infantry leading two battalion of Line Musketeers arriving at typically Prussian breakneck speed.

Infantry split on either side, with Dragoons wondering quite what to do.

More Prussians.  Grenadier Battalion, two gun battery of 6prs and two Garrison Musketeer battalions..

With Prussian and Saxon infantry exchanging fire across the river, as they exit the village and move towards the riverbank,  Prussian artillery arrives to bombard the Saxon cavalry waiting on the other side, whilst Grenadiers make for the crossing.  Frei-Infantry (off camera) are taking pot shots at the Saxon gun.  In theory its good.

More Prussian infantry are backing up n the road waiting to support the Grenadiers.

Derek's line Musketeers arrive in the nick of time from their deployment behind the village whilst their enthusiastic General waves them forward with his hat.

Grenadiers make it across the bridge in the face of fire from the waiting Saxon infantry.  OUCH.  The Saxons have taken numerous hits from the Prussian artillery though.

It got a bit frantic so this is the last picture.  Shot at from the front, threatened in the flank by the cavalry the Grenadiers break when charged in the flank by the Garrison quality Saxons in the village.  Oh the shame.  The Garrison troops had actually rolled low on ammo so it was the only sensible thing to do with them.  The Frei-Infantry frustrated the Saxon gun and forced it to retreat but it was a very small victory in a game of doom for the Prussians.  Mega tough scenario.  I scaled it up a bit which is where I probably went wrong.  Also trying to get a jump on the bridge with Hussars, whilst recommended in the book I took the scenario from, was a huge mistake.  I aught to have waited for my guns to have effect first.  Great fun though and nice to catch up with Derek and his sausage munchers.

Cheers,

Kev

Education Support Worker, Wargamer & Painter. 'Living the Dream'

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."