Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:34:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A jolly technicolor romp through time and space (2016-01-01: Doctors & GalSec)  (Read 11291 times)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
I'm aware. He's still a pedantic bugger!

I've oft thought the same thing, but always while green with envy.  ;)

My geek-o-meter always ends up pegged on 'Massive Fail.'  lol

Still, your glib comments are appreciated; major 'like' on this thread! Thanks!

Doug

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Excellent project :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Hi folks,

after a bit of busy-weekends-type hiatus, some more pics of figures for the Doctor Who project.

First, a bunch of military blokes to meddle or assist with the Doctors' shenanigans.

Some characters of NCO rank and higher:

An assault section:

A support section:

I would have liked a more conventional loadout for this one, but at least this power-cannon-thingy will blow some holes into the pesky Daleks.

Liaison chopper by Corgi, inspired by anevilgiraffe's take on it - I was a bit more lucky in that I figured out after a lot of cursing how to disassemble it for painting. Found it for a pittance in a Modelzone clearance bin due to the rotor blades missing, which I added from plasticard and needles.

It still requires a pilot, but when I dug out the Baker Co. chopper pilots I had lying about, my enthusiasm faded out faster than a TARDIS on speed. Will see if I can find some replacements sometime.

To finish up the troops, a mobile HQ truck thingy - Matchbox K-111 Missile truck which I found at a local car boot sale. Always wanted one of those for more than thirty years. Speaks volumes about my maturity, I guess. lol

I took it apart and repainted it, although the condition was so good that I didn't need to strip it. I've also got an Adventure 2000 Skychaser car to serve as a staff vehicle, but that will need some gentle updating since it was awfully beat-up.

On to the Doctors! As it happens, I turned out to be rather fond of the 3rd Doctor, so that one went in first, plus the 11th and a converted detective to act as the 4th. Plus some companions, although I admit that their speedy inclusion was due to the 10th round of the LPL.

And a shot of the fourth Doctor plus a rather blueish impression of the TARDIS.

That's it for today! I've got some boffins and an "Inferno" universe "evil Brigadier" finished, but awaiting basing, plus some Cyberman reinforcements. Don't know when I'll be finishing those, though - 35°+ of ambient temperature don't do wonders for my hobby enthusiasm. That and a devilish distraction which I came across two weeks ago, but more on that in another thread.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Very cool!

I wasn't expecting to like the early incarnations when I started Dr. Who from the very beginning, but I ended up really liking the 3rd Dr.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
You made me go out and buy one of those Matchbox missile launcher tucks, you know.  Well, maybe two…

I hadn't spotted on the LPL that you had freehanded the lettering.  Steady hands!
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
You made me go out and buy one of those Matchbox missile launcher tucks, you know.  Well, maybe two…

I hadn't spotted on the LPL that you had freehanded the lettering.  Steady hands!

I actually wanted to print some one-off decals, but the sheets I could have got in time for the LPL were ridiculously expensive.

I really like this model/toy, by the way. It has a certain "Gerry Anderson flair" to it, which I would have loved to see a bit more in classic Who - I actually don't mind the Landies, the Alouette(s) and the Mobile HQ, but some of the spaceship models are downright ropey (and the computer FX, as per the 7th Doctor, didn't really help it, although they look quite nice for the time). Inventive and all, but the execution is lacking a bit. Adds to the "down-to-earth" charm of the series, though, and I quite liked the 3rd Doctor's set design.

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Excellent and inspiring stuff!  What figure did you use for the 4th Doctor conversion?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Excellent and inspiring stuff!  What figure did you use for the 4th Doctor conversion?

It's a Crooked Dice "Tough Detective Skelton" - I replaced the gun hand with a spare piece from another CD figure, added the tousled hair from putty and a scarf from aluminium foil doubled over a couple of times. Still looks a bit flat, except around the neck, but at least the pattern comes across nicely in the pic.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Nicely done mate! Nicely done! :-*

You're going to have some cracking games with them! I'm eagerly awaiting the battle reports!  ;)

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Great stuff and clever conversion of old Frank.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
I love the 3rd Doctor too! These are all very well done now time for the sea devils!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
Wonderful stuff as ever. Nice to see a 4th Doc without the flappy head of the BTD sculpt! Love the UNIT fellas.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
Four Army Privates being released in the next two to three months too.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Hi all,

been some time, but I finally managed to finish a couple of figures for this project again. Still have some UNIT privates on the desk (since October, hrmph), but in the meantime, some others.

First, a variant of the Third Doctor in green jacket with tartan cape. As far as I know, he didn't wear that combo in any story, and the jacket is obviously not the right cut, but it looked better on the mini than the red jacket which I used on my other Third Doctor.

Next, the Doctor we do not talk about (no, not the Sixth, the in-universe one). Fine figure and nice to paint, although the varnish is acting up a bit in the photo.

Then, some robotic pests:

And finally, some astronauts, their colour scheme being inspired by the GalSec chaps in "The Sontaran Experiment".

Thanks for looking! I'm quite looking forward to what Warlord Games will do with their Who license, following the Zygon render which looked quite good, IMHO. Keeping my fingers crossed for plastic Daleks. I'll hopefully get up the motivation to finish the UNIT troopers and some scenery items next.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Great stuff. The 4th Doctor conversion is inspired, it has a look of the early Tom Baker seasons.