Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689310
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's Frostgrave - pic-heavy post 25th August: more scenery  (Read 10105 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Vanvlak's Frostgrave
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
Thanks; now I have to be ridiculous, so make sure I keep up the standard  :D
What now, more skeletons, or more scenery?

More skellies first, please! You'll have plenty time to get some scenery ready after getting the rules and reading them, so you'll have a fair idea what scenery to aim for (apart from ruined buildings).

I shall have about 60 skeletons and 30 Zombies ready before my first game, and if I find the time, also about 10 Ghouls (have four atm, another old GW blister with 4, and 2 plastic mantic ones still on frames).

Seems I am going to need a Necromancer at some point...  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »
This project is literally cool beans  Smiley
Love the frost effect on the ladder..looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Really like the icy ladder, looks great. A building covered in it would look incredible :P
Thanks - will be trying that on a small tower next, probably...

More skellies first, please! You'll have plenty time to get some scenery ready after getting the rules and reading them, so you'll have a fair idea what scenery to aim for (apart from ruined buildings).

I shall have about 60 skeletons and 30 Zombies ready before my first game, and if I find the time, also about 10 Ghouls (have four atm, another old GW blister with 4, and 2 plastic mantic ones still on frames).

Seems I am going to need a Necromancer at some point...  Roll Eyes
Good grief, I'm not planing on that many! In fact I'm pleased I have a single ghoul from the same set as the skeleton, nice old fellow, he is.

OK, will do the skeletons. And the scenery too  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 06:12:39 PM »

Good grief, I'm not planing on that many! In fact I'm pleased I have a single ghoul from the same set as the skeleton, nice old fellow, he is.

OK, will do the skeletons. And the scenery too  :D

It's because of my God of Battles Lords of Undeath army - but they are bound to haunt the frozen city, too!

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 06:31:30 AM »

Ok, so this is a little weird...

Throughout the rulebook, there are a number of rumours, intended to inspire scenarios and the like. On page 99, there is this particular rumour:

"...of course we didn't climb it. It was a hundred-foot ladder, standing by itself, with nothing at the top..."

Great terrain!
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Henrix

• Scientist
  • Fernwright
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »

"...of course we didn't climb it. It was a hundred-foot ladder, standing by itself, with nothing at the top..."

Hmm, hobby.uk.com/ladder-3.html
--

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 10:51:12 AM »
I shall have about 60 skeletons and 30 Zombies ready before my first game

I'd hate to be a wizard in one of your games, Argonor!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 03:56:54 PM »
Ok, so this is a little weird...

Throughout the rulebook, there are a number of rumours, intended to inspire scenarios and the like. On page 99, there is this particular rumour:

Great terrain!
Thanks - and I haven't read the rulebook yet.
So now I have to build the ladder too.
Hmm, hobby.uk.com/ladder-3.html

That might be useful.....

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 09:04:10 PM »
I'd hate to be a wizard in one of your games, Argonor!

There is always a cost to be paid for great power...  >:D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 07:46:37 AM »
Time to dust off this thread.
No more skellies yet - but lots more scenery, with a change in the basing concept.
As described elsewhere I've been doing a lot of tiling: a hoard of old ceramic floor tiles has been finding lots of uses for different sorts of gaming surfaces, and my version of Frostgrave has been a beneficiary. I am using 8" square ceramic tiles as bases for bits of scenery, which will be modular.

The beanstalk which I showed earlier in this thread has been attached to one tile; another I showed in my general summer modelling thread is awaiting painting -  here it is again:

In progress are half a dozen more tiles with all sorts of odds and ends - my Frostgrave will include a range of architecture, and a range of climates, from the traditional frost to desert conditions. The wizards really messed this place up...

The tiles give a degree of modularity, and can produce different settings. Iam also trying to include the features required for the scenarios and have a mausoleum and the tower (+ 2 other tall buildings next to it). I need to come up with a well.

The library - I have a few ideas how to pull this off. I will not use the same tiles, as they in no way resemble a library or a maze or both; so I will have to think of something different for this scenario. The one thing certain is that it will be weirder still.  :D
More pics later.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 06:11:44 PM »
Here goes:

Exotic scenery in a very jumbled neighbourhood of Frostgrave - an aquarium decoration, still to be integrated to its base.

And again:

Now this bit was frustrating, as it had some bits broken off and wrapped in bubblewrap - so definitely not during shipping, and definitely not intended as a kit, as the breaks were irregular. Every cloud.... I left the broken top of the temple detachable, added some detail to the edges of the walls (more to come) and a wooden floor - excellent sniper position!

The mausoleum in progress:

THIS will have been abandoned within the city...

And here's a very desirable objective for any wizard:

Some large bits of furniture for other parts of Frostgrave - a home-made brazier and a menhir (still to be finished).

Offline Cymril

• Librarian
Re: Vanvlak's Frostgrave - pic-heavy post 25th August: more scenery
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »
Great! I was just fascinated by an image on the Facebook page of Otherworld miniatures: an adventurer group, which comes out of the mouth of a stone head. And now I see it is just the Aquarium Head you use. I ordered at once one on Amazon for my Frostgrave Terrain Project.  :)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »
Great! I was just fascinated by an image on the Facebook page of Otherworld miniatures: an adventurer group, which comes out of the mouth of a stone head. And now I see it is just the Aquarium Head you use. I ordered at once one on Amazon for my Frostgrave Terrain Project.  :)

The very same one is on my Amazon hobby wishlist.  lol Great minds think alike.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 05:08:57 AM »
Cymril, I think that's one of Prof's entries in the Lead Painters' League - he made great use of it.
It's a surprisingly large piece, quite reasonably priced and also hard to break in the mail (see my comment on the larger temple). Go for it!
After buying it I was not sure what to use it for, until the weird warped Frostgrave idea won it over.

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 06:11:47 AM »
If that were a red Delorean it would be ideal for a Chronomancer...
Check out my gaming and painting blog (Including Frostgrave) at
http://periodicpainting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/frostgrave.html

Offline Cymril

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 06:22:36 AM »
Vanvlak, thanks for the hint, I found his picture! My idea is to use the head as a kind of gate for the terrain in the Haunted House scenario. We'll see, how it works.