Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:19:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Red Sands - a Pulp Alley AAR  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Red Sands - a Pulp Alley AAR
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:25:11 PM »
We do tons of playtesting when we're trying new Pulp Alley abilities and rules. Here are some photos of a quick skirmish style game. This was one of about a dozen short games we played during the week....

For this scenario the two sides were evenly matched....

The only difference being - one side was Armored and the other side was Fierce....

There was no shooting allowed, but we did use Fortune cards.... BLAST IT!

I made some really lucky rolls and saved all my soldiers from the Mummy's whirling Dust Devil spell....

Lots of fierce action and clanging of blades....

The two forces proved to be perfectly balanced.... (for the twentieth time :D)

And in the end, both sides had lost the exact same number of figures.

For our Egyptian campaign, Dad is planning to have a couple flashback scenarios that let players play in ancient Egypt as well as their normal Pulp Alley setting.  :D

More to come....

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
Re: Red Sands - a Pulp Alley AAR
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »
Love it. Like the idea of the Flashbacks. Are there going to be rules for more combat driven skirmishes in the new supplement. The option to play without Plot points etc. Be interesting to know your thoughts. I know there's lots of combat in PA but hopefully you get what I mean! ;)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:42:02 PM »
Wonderful as always! :o

I really like the idea of transplanting some of the story over to a more swords and sorcery-like environment. Not that 30s-era pulp is chopped liver, mind :)
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
Inspiring stuff as always!

Offline LordBrentlake

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 10:22:36 AM »
I've been looking at putting together flashback scenarios into the campaign narrative as a way of getting some of my other minis into play. Plot points that provide accounts of the events in question seem to be the logical way to go, whether they be witnesses, journals, old scrolls, monumental inscriptions or the like. They just need to be appropriate to the era of the flashback, and the location of the event. Winning the major plot point in the flashback can then give an advantage in a following related scenario.

Sword-and-sorcery is certainly one possibility, but there are a myriad of others from Sumer and Egypt through to the Old West. The beauty of the Pulp  Alley rules is that you need only a few figures and there is enough flexibility to give good characterisation to the participants quite easily.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 12:05:55 PM »
looks very intresting also the flashback is a great idea i have many Egyptian  minis from dark fable also

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 12:45:32 AM »
Love it!  Some years ago Peabody and I were going to use medieval/fantasy as a way to hack security systems in a sci-fi game.  The more points you spent the more fighters/creatures you could buy to protect/assault a system.  All very matrixy.  Sort of a sub game much like the flashbacks.  Can't wait to see the Egyptian book!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 12:42:27 AM »
Are there going to be rules for more combat driven skirmishes in the new supplement. The option to play without Plot points etc. Be interesting to know your thoughts. I know there's lots of combat in PA but hopefully you get what I mean! ;)

Yes, Dad is actually planning to include some of those rules in our "Pulp Leagues" book. He's also wanting to include rules for playing Pulp Alley in different genres - westerns, horror, sci-fi, fantasy, etc....

Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad you enjoyed it.   :D :D

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
Looking really good.