Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:42:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 557
Total: 559

Recent

Author Topic: Depression hobos?  (Read 4751 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Depression hobos?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
I thought of this thread when I chanced upon Eureka's modern "African mob" pack just now. I think at least one of the figures (second row, farthest right) would make a decent American hobo if the feet were resculpted to be wearing shoes instead of sandals. A head swap might also be in order for a more Caucasian-looking hobo. The two other trouser-wearing adult males in the pack might also suit the purpose, although the loose-fitting T-shirt on one of them doesn't quite scream "1930s" to me (but I might be wrong, I'm not a fashion historian and Wikipedia does say T-shirts were common work-wear by the time of the Great Depression). Obviously these will be some expensive hobos if one doesn't need the other figures in the pack. One of the females looks very suitable as a pulp-era African-American matriarch, though. The other female might look at home in pulp-era Africa. That just leaves the two boys who don't quite look dressed for the period to me, unless they're wearing their fathers' T-shirts while helping out at the farm/factory/docks/wherever (again, I'm not sure about the status and cut of T-shirts during the 1930s), and the male in the kanga/kitenge-type garment, whose suitability or unsuitability for pulp-era Africa I couldn't hope to know about.

http://eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_126_138&products_id=12730
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 07:15:29 PM by Rhoderic »
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »
Yeah, those look a bit too modern. The problem with the T-shirts is that they're modern ones i.e. oversized and hanging freely instead of tucked in.

I suppose you could do even more conversion, but at that point you're practically sculpting new figures.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »
OK, I see your point. The shirts and T-shirts not being tucked in was the thing I couldn't quite put my finger on but kept bothering me.

Still, that shirt on the first figure I mentioned could just as well be a tattered old jumper.