Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help Needed in Identifying Cars.  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
  • "Left hand down a bit ...."
Help Needed in Identifying Cars.
« on: June 14, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »
I've been looking for a couple of police cars and came across these diecast models but am mostly in the dark as to what make and model they might be.  I was hoping that you gentlemen could help me out?

The first one is a Porsche I think but as to the model .....

As for the next two I've no idea at all.

This one has a couple of raised ridges on the roof, intentional or not I'm not sure.

Many thanks for looking.

"My God, it's full of stars".  Dave Bowman.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
Re: Help Needed in Identifying Cars.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 06:29:17 PM »
Top one looks very much like a Porsche 911 Carrera 4S.

Middle one is a Dodge Viper I think.

No idea on the bottom one though.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:34:49 PM »
The first is a Porsche for sure, some 911 derivative, take your pick. I would guess the second is meant to be a Dodge Viper and the third an Aston Martin V8.  Would like to see the fronts before saying for sure.

Where are they from?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »
Many thanks for the swift response guys - I forgot to post a picture of them next to a couple of minis so I'll get on to that soon.  They do fit in very well with the slightly larger 28mm figures though.

I picked them up at the local Poundland for, you guessed it, £1.00 each.  The Lowestoft branch was selling out quite quickly and only had the Aston Martins left, perhaps they'll restock.

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »
A couple of comparison pics - the first is of a Studio Miniatures "Mia" and the second of a Zombicide Zombie which are both a little bit larger than the average 28mm figure and seem to work well next to the Porsche.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 11:29:43 AM »
I'd have guessed the bottom car was some kind of BMW Z4 coupe based on the headlights/deck lid.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
Interesting.   Not exactly ideal as police cruisers, but 1gbp is a great deal for any 1/43 die-cast and with a quick coat of paint they'd be ready for the street.

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 10:46:09 AM »
Many thanks for all the help chaps, it's much appreciated as I can now go ahead with the correct colour schemes.

If anybody finds some more types of automobiles on a trip to the pound shop could you give me the nod please?

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 10:28:58 PM »
They aren't good police cars, but they do look like great finds as 28mm cars in general.

Cop cars in the US are always American cars, and always 4-door sedans or 4-door SUVs. You'll never see a 2-door or 2-seat cop car. Not a real one made for real police use, at least- there've been sports cars tarted up as cop cars for auto shows, but not for real life police work.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 10:47:30 PM »
Unless it's the United Arab Emirates. ;)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 12:51:54 AM »
LOL, true. But the Dubai supercar police fleet is more about PR and conspicuous consumption than actual policing. They sort of try to spin it as being about high incidences of speeding, but that doesn't really wash. It's really about maintaining their image as a party town by and for the super-rich.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 03:11:09 AM »
If you're looking for american cop cars, Crown Vics are/were the quintessential US cop car.  They are available fairly commonly online, though I don't know if that holds true for the UK.

Here's one seller from lithuania
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CROWN-VICTORIA-INTERCEPTOR-police-kinsmart-TOY-model-1-42-scale-diecast-/251916388451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa7630863
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:13:00 AM by eilif »

Offline Rivera

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »
Thanks for the link Eilif - I think that I'll go down the Crown Vic route as they seem to have a bit more character than the new replacements.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 06:20:04 PM »
Thanks for the link Eilif - I think that I'll go down the Crown Vic route as they seem to have a bit more character than the new replacements.

You're very welcome!
  Even though they haven't been made for 4 years, you still see ALOT of them on the road and they're probably still the car folks most folks in the USA (Especially in urban areas like here in Chicago) associate with police.

The other neat thing is that if you're still gaming in a decade and the Crown Vics aren't as representative as you'd like, you can just repaint them as Sedan's.  They're are a very popular car, especially among lower-middle class and poor folks because they are sturdy, reliable and easy to self-service and find parts for.  In 20 years you'll still see Crown Vics, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Towncars (all the same "Panther" platform cars) being driven by civilians.

A while back I found some on ebay in CPD livery.  Not perfect printing, but good enough for my figs. 

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/12/chicago-police-from-tactical-miniatures.html
They still pop up from time to time.  Look for the "Welly" brand.   "Kinsmart" is a bit more common, but they are slightly bigger and tend to have more generic markings.