Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Buildings without borders...  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Buildings without borders...
« on: October 22, 2008, 04:44:08 AM »
I am trying to figure out which architectural style would be best to represent buildings form many different locations around the world.

So far the most versatile kind I can think of is the stucco/adobe style as that appears in the Middle East, Africa, Spain, Central/South America... anywhere else? South East Asia?

Basically I'm just trying to save myself making 50 different buildings for every setting ;) Sound like a plan? Is it possible?

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
Re: Buildings without borders...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:00:19 AM »
very possible, if you wanted to you could make loose fronts to the buildings so you could swap them around a bit :)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
You can add Central Asia and the Caribbean to your list of places where the stucco/adobe style would work. And all around the Mediterranean. But I'm sure there'd be some architectural variations between these places. Most of these could probably be ignored, but I'm doubtful about the roofs. Some places would have flat roofs accessible by stairs or ladders from the outside or inside, while others would have sloped, tiled roofs in the Latin style. It's not just a cultural difference but a practical one depending on how much rainfall the region gets.

Some incidental buildings like wooden sheds and straw or wattle-and-daub barns could probably further your cause a bit.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:34:32 PM by Rhoderic »
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:56:54 PM »
I suppose if you made them flat roofed you could have sloped roofs to slot on top to give instant variety.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:23:01 PM »
I am building up a good bit of middle eastern type buildings and plan to add a few supplement buildings to help represent different places. For example I'll build a Taj Mahal looking building to help with convincing you are playing in India or an Afghan hillfort for the Northwest Frontier. The bulk of the buildings will be the adobe style that should tie in nicely with the "special" buildings for each region. On one of my adobe houses I have also made a porch of terracotta tiles that is removable to accommodate different types of styles, like timber or lattice. It is amazing how this little detail roots the building in a certain setting.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 10:19:57 PM »
i have a small tutorial about generic adobes here.
http://lovinggiants.blogspot.com/

take a gander.   :D
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG