Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:55:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689247
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 558
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just a thought...  (Read 3384 times)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Just a thought...
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:13:09 PM »
Not knowing much about the period but immediately fell in love with the new Iron Duke/ Empress Indian Mutiny figures.
I haven't yet finished any of them because other projects keep 'interfering' but I'm already on the lookout for more suitable figures.
I'm sure we all know the feeling :)

What I'm very interested in is the really 'earliest' period of the Indian Mutiny when mixed groups of civilians with perhaps a few European soldiers and some loyal Indians have to fend of the mutinous mobs.
Now, while I'm sure that the good Colonel will eventually bring out all the necessary figures, I would like to ask a few questions from much more knowledgeable people.

Empress also does a magnificent New Zealand range and while I'm not interested in those wars, I'm sort of wondering if some of the figures could be used for the Indian Mutiny,
How about that civilian Militia? (NZ 05)Are those clothes appropriate for a hotter climate?

I'm almost certain that the civilians defending their homestead ( NZ 16) could be used, but again I have absolutely no idea what civilians wore in India.

NZ 18 is again Militia mostly in floppy hats. It seems logic that floppy hats would be very suitable for India, but am I right in assuming that?

Thanks very much for any help!

BTW I also bought a few of Dixon's pioneer women and they seem to match very well with the Iron Duke models.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Shirer

• Bookworm
Re: Just a thought...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:32 PM »
That reminds me of Flashman in the Great Game - he finds himself tagging along with a group of irregular cavalry made up of European civilians and a few loyal Sikhs - calling themselves the 'Mosstroopers'. If you have a copy of that, I think there's a fairly detailed description of the odd mix of clothes they were wearing. May be of some use! I always thought that book really captured the confusion and devastation of the first days of the mutiny from the European perspective.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Khakee-Ressalah-Adventure-Volunteer/dp/1846770092/ref=pd_sxp_redirect

This is a memoir of somebody who served with the Meerut Volunteer Horse - another irregular unit from the early days of the mutiny.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »
Empress also does a magnificent New Zealand range and while I'm not interested in those wars, I'm sort of wondering if some of the figures could be used for the Indian Mutiny,
How about that civilian Militia? (NZ 05)Are those clothes appropriate for a hotter climate?

Well, I've done just that. Like you they haven't received even a splash of paint but the intent is to use them as civilian defenders etc of Cawnpore and Lucknow.

I'm almost certain that the civilians defending their homestead ( NZ 16) could be used, but again I have absolutely no idea what civilians wore in India.

Well, to be honest nor do I but I cannot think of anything better for the defenders of doomed Cawnpore or the heroic stand at Lucknow.

Darrell.

Offline mdomino

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 01:28:56 AM »
Sgt Major does a civilian defenders pack for the mutiny.
Mike D

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 05:18:50 AM »
There are several Perry ACW "Rioting Civilians" packs which I believe would provide a number of useful period-appropriate figures, some armed with improvised weapons, others with swords and knives, and still others with firearms, as well as a pack of women and children.
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:30:56 AM »
There are several Perry ACW "Rioting Civilians" packs which I believe would provide a number of useful period-appropriate figures, some armed with improvised weapons, others with swords and knives, and still others with firearms, as well as a pack of women and children.

Damn it! I forgot about those!! Even more 'period specific than the Empress Civvies).

Ordering now!!  :)

Darrell.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 07:37:15 AM »
Well, I've done just that. Like you they haven't received even a splash of paint but the intent is to use them as civilian defenders etc of Cawnpore and Lucknow.

Well, to be honest nor do I but I cannot think of anything better for the defenders of doomed Cawnpore or the heroic stand at Lucknow.

Darrell.

At least I've primed them all, and now they are standing there looking very accusingly at me with those beady grey eyes :)

Just remembered Mutineer has a set 'Defenders of Lucknow' and they look quite similar. We're on the right track here I guess.Think I'm going to order them ASAP.

I've already bought some Mutineer sepoys and while they are a little taller than the Iron Duke figures, they are IMHO perfectly compatible.
Oddly enough, I just read a quote from someone who said that most Indian (soldiers?) were taller than the average European (soldier?).

And I'm definitely getting that Flashman book Shirer!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 08:15:14 AM »
At least I've primed them all, and now they are standing there looking very accusingly at me with those beady grey eyes :)

Boy do I know that feeling  lol

Just remembered Mutineer has a set 'Defenders of Lucknow' and they look quite similar. We're on the right track here I guess.Think I'm going to order them ASAP.

I've already bought some Mutineer sepoys and while they are a little taller than the Iron Duke figures, they are IMHO perfectly compatible.
Oddly enough, I just read a quote from someone who said that most Indian (soldiers?) were taller than the average European (soldier?).

I was going to say that there might be some size and bulk compatibility..... I haven't got any Mutineer Mini's so I'm not in a position to comment.

If you get time do you think you could post up a size comparison please?

Darrell.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
Boy do I know that feeling  lol

I was going to say that there might be some size and bulk compatibility..... I haven't got any Mutineer Mini's so I'm not in a position to comment.

If you get time do you think you could post up a size comparison please?

Darrell.

Have seen comparisons in a previous thread, mutineer is bulkier than the new iron duke stuff but they are the same height and have comparable proportions so mixing them is not a big problem.

As for outfits you'd also have to account for the fact that soldiers sent over there were having uniform problems as it is never mind diverted troops and volunteers from civilian areas that happened to be close by.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »
I've made the pictures a little bigger than normal so any difference can be seen easily.
Alternating from right to left Iron Duke Mutineer, Iron Duke etc

The three on the right are Iron Duke the ones on the left Mutineer

And an Iron Duke figure compared to the Dixon figures I bought (not even primed yet ::) )

They are a little smaller but the guns are nearly the same size.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 06:28:48 PM »
Surprising how little the difference is between the two ranges.

Normally Mike's sculpting style is larger than that of Paul Hicks.

Than you for posting this up- it looks as though the European Defenders from Mutineer may be useful as well as the Perry stuff. anyway, quite often a paint job is a great leveler. What I'd dearly love to see from both ranges is some Loyal Indian Defenders that weren't in uniform..... one can dream  :)

Darrell.