Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:01:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Painting Mutiny?  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
A Painting Mutiny?
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
Hi all,

I have a bit of a painting dilemma! I've spent quite a few pennies on the Iron Duke Indian Mutiny range all beautifully sculpted by Paul Hicks. I've been carefully painting up my NWF and Sudan collection with my usual 'style' but there aren't enough hours in the day to get all three of my major projects (four when you throw in the HYW!).

I was thinking of 'Speed Painting' to a wargames standard for my Indian Mutiny collection but the mini's are so wonderfully crafted that I find myself in a bit of a pickle!

I've made a more comprehensive post detailing the pro's and con's as i see it on my Shooting Leave Blog here:

http://allthebrave.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/a-painting-mutiny-dilemma.html

Do I go for the Wargames Standard or stick to my usual painting style?

Below are some pics of mini's painted at Wargames Standard:

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions

Darrell.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:53:58 AM by Atheling »

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: A Painting Mutiny?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 07:52:28 AM »
Your wargames standard looks just fine to me. But that is how I paint almost all of my figures. If I am going to put 50 to 300 figures on a table I want them to look good in a mass from a couple of feet away, as that is how most peple will be seeing them. I don't really care if they all stand up to close inspection because that is not what I am painting for.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 08:09:19 AM »
Your wargames standard looks just fine to me. But that is how I paint almost all of my figures. If I am going to put 50 to 300 figures on a table I want them to look good in a mass from a couple of feet away, as that is how most peple will be seeing them. I don't really care if they all stand up to close inspection because that is not what I am painting for.

Thanks for your input HerbyF.

Ah, now therein the problem lies..... I usually paint very meticulously and it's often quite hard for me to 'downgrade'- I can paint quite quickly when I do so but I feel that I lose some of the quality when going for it, so's to speak.

Darrell.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »
It reads as though you were lured by the cult of the sculpt rather than an overwhelming desire to game the Indian Mutiny, if that is the case go for the slower rate. Either way they will look superb, do what gives you the most pleasure.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »
I have to say, your 'wargames standard' looks very good and not 'standard' at all to me...

I guess you have to work out what you want to do with your armies once they are painted and why you are collecting them. Do you have a certain time limit for them?

Is that because you have a game or show by X date? Or are you painting them all for the sheer love of that time in history?

Next you could look at ways that you could speed up your process, are there colours that you are continually mixing, that you could do a ready mix pot of to speed up your painting for example?

Also ask yourself which period you like painting best (at the moment) and are there any current projects that you could put on the backburner?

Lastly there is dipping, I don't like to think about it, but some people do it with some nice results, although I think it works best with highlights added after.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 11:33:24 AM »
It reads as though you were lured by the cult of the sculpt rather than an overwhelming desire to game the Indian Mutiny, if that is the case go for the slower rate. Either way they will look superb, do what gives you the most pleasure.

Therein lies the other problem, as much as I love painting I love wargaming too! I could really do with moving the toys around before the next Millennia  :D.

Decisions, decisions.....  o_o ??? ??? o_o

Darrell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 11:41:41 AM »

That's my dilemma Phil, I love history and I love moving toys around the table and rolling dice/picking cards :)

I have to say, your 'wargames standard' looks very good and not 'standard' at all to me...

I guess you have to work out what you want to do with your armies once they are painted and why you are collecting them. Do you have a certain time limit for them?

Not as such but ASAP would be great :)

Or are you painting them all for the sheer love of that time in history?

That's my dilemma.  I love history and I think that we owe it to the protagonists of both sides to represent them as accurately and a fully as possible.

Next you could look at ways that you could speed up your process, are there colours that you are continually mixing, that you could do a ready mix pot of to speed up your painting for example?

Good suggestion and one that i already employ.

Also ask yourself which period you like painting best (at the moment) and are there any current projects that you could put on the backburner?

Well, I have four projects on the go, the Sudan (Perry), the NWF (Artizan/Foundry/Studio), the Indian Mutiny (Iron Duke) and one that will always be ongoing, the HYW. Quite a lot of stuff and mostly my passions are spread evenly around all the conflicts with a bias towards the HYW.

Lastly there is dipping, I don't like to think about it, but some people do it with some nice results, although I think it works best with highlights added after.

Dip is hideous! That's a no-no for me, even if I could master the technique that David Imrie (Saxon Dog) and Prof. Phil developed.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:41:06 PM »
...yeah, that's why I said that I don't like to think about dipping!

Dave Imries ones where the examples of good dipping I was thinking of.

Could you maybe give yourself a time limit for your Indian Mutiny units? So not speed painting as such but say that you will only spend X amount of time on the unit?

How much do you need to paint before you can game? might be a question worth asking yourself

From your replies, maybe put your HYW stuff lower down the priority order for a bit, or limit painting Hyw to one day a week or just the weekend?

Try to work out some goals and work towards them perhaps.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »
Darrell, above all discipline. :D

A possible solution:
Paint the rank and file as a speed paint for you and spend more time with the command figures, therefore you have both painting qualities on the same army. :)

"Do as i tell you and dont do what i do" :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »
Thanks again for the replies guys- all things are being considered :)

Darrell.

Online Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »
You seem to find focus hard as well as being sucked into a range of figures rather than a game. For myself I focus on progressing one project for a month or two and then have a change or two for a month. Only 24 hours in a day so, with no deadline for a demo or game, why put yourself under pointless pressure? It's a hobby after all! As to painting standards: are you a wargamer who paints or a painter who wargames. Your answer will condition your own solution I find.
David
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 10:46:02 PM »
You seem to find focus hard as well as being sucked into a range of figures rather than a game.

Well, not really.... I just enjoy having a few projects on the go- it prevents any monotony from creeping into my painting schedule.

For myself I focus on progressing one project for a month or two and then have a change or two for a month. Only 24 hours in a day so, with no deadline for a demo or game, why put yourself under pointless pressure? It's a hobby after all! As to painting standards: are you a wargamer who paints or a painter who wargames. Your answer will condition your own solution I find.

The latter really though I don't see why one cannot be both with a lowering of standards one a project or two every so often(?)

As I said earlier, or possibly on another forum, I think I'll paint a regiment up and see what sort of results I get. If I'm more or less happy, I'll keep them. If not they can be sold and the money can go towards something else.

Darrell.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:18:49 PM »
I'm note sure what you personally give up in terms of details or technique when speed-painting (since we all paint differently!), but can you speed-paint these and then come back to them for a "detailing" upgrade at a later time?

That would let you get them all painted quite quickly (even if you spent more time on the character figures first-time-around), and still have the option to come back to them again later if you feel you want to.

Of course, the short-cuts you take for your speed-paint may not necessarily lend themselves to this, but it might be worth some thought!

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 06:56:20 PM »
Atheling,your wargaming standard looks great to me,go with that and see how comfortable you feel with the finished unit,to be honest I'm just waiting to see you paint up a few,they'll be smashing I'm sure  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2015, 07:22:53 AM »
Atheling,your wargaming standard looks great to me,go with that and see how comfortable you feel with the finished unit,to be honest I'm just waiting to see you paint up a few,they'll be smashing I'm sure  :)

I've got 12 ready for undercoating this morning so I should get that little lot done by the end of the day I hope! A day or two max.

Darrell.