Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The other Frostgrave Spell Cards thread - 10/09: A farewell to cards  (Read 29222 times)

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
I think the cards are brilliantly designed and look great, don't get me wrong, it would just be a shame to loose that ability from the card.

My suggestions would be to merge the 3 spell casting values boxes, move all the boxes down a it and extend the banner across the top of the card, leaving enough blank space on the right hand side that people can write in their current casting number if they wish, thus you don't have a glaring massive blank box and don't loose anymore of the picture.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
I think an empty space would be better, given that the casting number is going to be changing often, I find the multiple schools cluttering.
Best option in my view would be having the basic casting number displayed, along with a space so users can put in their own casting number, based on school, levels etc.

This. As modifiers are fixed, and do not vary from school to school, modified casting numbers are, in fact, redundant. Your wizard's actual current casting number for any particular spell is all that matters during gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:37:07 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dakota Mike

• Assistant
Very excited for the complete set!  Was wondering how progress was going?  ???

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
No worries; I'm still on it. However, summer happenend, and stuff like going to the beach and the zoo with the little one has taken prescedent for a bit (next to other neccesary evils, such as work ::) ).

The cards will certainly be finished, but we'll all have to be patient for just a while longer. Summers over here rarely take forever you know ;)

Besides; it just feels weird working on Frostgrave cards, when you're enjoying/suffering the hottest summer in recorded history... :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dakota Mike

• Assistant
No worries; I'm still on it. However, summer happenend, and stuff like going to the beach and the zoo with the little one has taken prescedent for a bit (next to other neccesary evils, such as work ::) ).

I can relate!

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
These look absolutely fantastic. I have one wish, that the size fits card sleeves that you can buy for board games. I printed out the basic black/white text only spell cards made by another member and cut them to form a nice deck and they all fit into protective sleeves that I had.
Maybe post the cards in PDF format with all aligned and ready to be cut instead of having each card separately?

Offline Hannibalbarca146

• Lurker
Any idea when they will be ready? Will you upload them here?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Definitely want to grab some of these when they're done, they're great!  :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Thass

• Lurker
I agree outstanding work.
I fall into the category of not wanting to write on the cards and would prefer seeing the 3 base casting cost values.

As I was reading through the rule book last night I was thinking what if each school was assigned a color; Necromancer = black, Illusionist = Red etc.  Then add small colored circles (or a grid of boxes) next to the different casting costs, to help indicating which school uses which value.

By removing the arrows (which I like btw) you could create space for the "colored circles".  So, if my school is Illusionist (red) all I have to do is look for a red colored circle on the card and that would tell me which casting base number I need to roll for any spell.

The negative side would be that the cards would become obsolete once (if) new schools are introduced.

Again great work, I can't wait to see the final product.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
I fall into the category of not wanting to write on the cards and would prefer seeing the 3 base casting cost values.
I wouldn't want to write on the card either, as that would defeat the reason for having a blank space, I'd write on the sleeve.

The problem with having the base numbers is, as wizards level up, if you just have the base numbers, you'll need to refer to some other sheet (roster, character pad, etc) to see what that wizards number actually is, which makes having all the information on the card a wasted exercise.  A blank space so you can write on (the sleeve) the casters current casting value means the card is all you need to use.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
OK, time for a smallish update.

I've totally changed the way the entire Photoshop file is structured. Stupidly, I originally had seperate layers for all values, icons etc. But now, I've merged and linked most of them in such a way that one click is enough to change all appropriate layers in one go.

That will save a tremendous amount of time creating the rest of the cards and as usual, time is the most valuable commodity when it comes to hobbying. ::)

Also, even though I'm actually making these for myself, and I'm happy with the way I've laid out the cards (I should; it's my own design after all :D ), there seems to be so much clamoring for a blank area to pen down current casting values, that I've started on an extra layer.

This layer will have a large blank circle overlaid on the bar with the original casting value. The circle's diameter will be slightly larger than the bar's height.

The modified casting value bars will then simply state +2, +4 and +6.

This is the easiest way to accomodate all those people who are wrong ;D and still generate the least possible extra work for me. You know; being right and all lol

So; I'm hoping to be able to finish all cards within a week from now, bar any real life interruptions, obviously...

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
sounds great, thank you.

Offline SilverNines

• Student
Re: The other Frostgrave Spell Cards thread - 31/08: slight, pictureless, update
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2015, 01:10:25 AM »
Is this still in progress?  I liked the look of these over the alternative cards.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: The other Frostgrave Spell Cards thread - 31/08: slight, pictureless, update
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2015, 08:20:32 AM »
No worries; I'm still working on this, be it at a reduced pace.

However, due to Osprey buying audrey's cards, I have been requested to not share my design anymore, as that would be unfair to both Osprey, the artist who made the excellent artwork I've been using, and of course Joe himself, as they will only benefit from the sales of their official cards and I would not want to cut into sales.

So by all means, go and buy those when they come out; I'm sure they'll be excellent and you will have all the required information available, plus you'll be supporting both Osprey and Joe so they 'll be able to create even more excellent gaming stuffs.

I've recevied the OK to finish my cards for personal use, and I will, but I will not be sharing the results here in the previous format (which was a reduced version of the actual cards) anymore.

Most probably, I will simply be showing a picture of the finished and printed product when I'm done, as posting each and every card here in a reduced resolution was a chore to begin with (time better spent on actually finishing the cards, right ;) ).

So for all of you who liked my designs; thank you for your support and apologies for not being able to share them with you, but all things considered, it's only fair to the IP owners for me to step aside now. Obviously they chose the wrong design  ;D , but I hope they'll be creating many more cool additions to this great game; I can't wait to see what Thaw of the Lich Lord and Into the Breeding Pits will bring us... 8)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:22:09 AM by Daeothar »

Offline Mutter

• Schoolboy
Re: The other Frostgrave Spell Cards thread - 10/09: A farewell to cards
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2015, 02:05:16 PM »
That's a bummer, loved your cards, and would much prefer them ...  :(