Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:23:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley Question - Lots of Players?  (Read 2199 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Pulp Alley Question - Lots of Players?
« on: July 21, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »
Sinewgrab asked a good Pulp Alley question that comes up every so often and I thought it was worth sharing with y'all ----

Quote from: Sinewgrab
I like this game - a lot.  But I am going to be  running for a group of people new to it, and I may have as many as 7 people trying to play.  Any hints on scenarios leagues, etc?  Anyone try to do this?

Yes, we've played/gamemastered many Pulp Alley games with 5-7 players. I think the current Pulp Alley World Record stands at 9-players. This was a convention game with all new players, run by Jaye Wiley. I watched most of the game as an observer, and it lasted about 2.5 hours.

A few tips to keep things running smooth ---

1. Be the Boss -- First and foremost, this cannot be stressed enough, you (the gamemaster) must always keep track of who has the Initiative and encourage them to direct the action. This is simple and very important. ;)

2. Table Size -- Use a table appropriate to the size of the group. Once you get over 4 players, I'd encourage you to use a 4' x 4' table or bigger. Be aware that this will change the dynamic of the scenarios and the "action" will frequently break into scattered pockets as players battle each other.

3. League Size -- Some gamemasters create small leagues for each player, which include 1 Leader, 1 Sidekick, and 1 Ally. Not a bad idea - I've done this myself a few times.

4. Plot What? -- Don't be surprised if new players ignore the plot points and simply concentrate on fighting each other. This is not unusual.

5. Deck Size -- Don't be surprised if new players ignore their Fortune cards. And be prepared to reshuffle your Fortune deck at least once, unless you are playing with two decks.

6. Scenario --  For 5-6 players, I really like Lost Keys or Soerabaja Manhunt. If I have more than 6, I fall back on Smash & Grab -- but make sure the table is not so big that the leagues can't reach the major plot point. :lol:

7. No Sweat -- It is worth noting that you do not need to change a single rule - regardless of the number of players. Pulp Alley plays exactly the same for 9 players as with 2 players. Try not to sweat the small stuff. It's all about getting together and having fun with friends. If y'all are having fun, then you're doing it right! :D

HAVE FUN

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Pulp Alley Question - Lots of Players?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:09:26 PM »
Dave, looking at it the other way, with the exception of gangs, how many figures do you think  single player can handle in  game?

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
Some great tips there. Thank you.

I don't mean to hijack this thread and ask the exact opposite question, but are there some tips for playing Pulp Alley solo? Can it work? I thought I'd read that it could be done, but a Google search hasn't turned up much. Just a finger in the right direction (or the finger if that's more appropriate!) would be really helpful for me. I just received the rules yesterday and am having a good time reading them, I must say.

Daryl

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 07:23:28 PM »
Daryl,
         Mila wrote up some guidelines for playing solo, I'm pretty sure they are free on the PA website.  I play solo myslef quite a bit, the key is to be totally impartial with the cards.

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:12:18 PM »
Some great tips there. Thank you.

I don't mean to hijack this thread and ask the exact opposite question, but are there some tips for playing Pulp Alley solo? Can it work? I thought I'd read that it could be done, but a Google search hasn't turned up much. Just a finger in the right direction (or the finger if that's more appropriate!) would be really helpful for me. I just received the rules yesterday and am having a good time reading them, I must say.

Daryl

Daryl, Go HERE:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=62050.0

3rd post down is  down is Dave's one page Pulp Alley Solo tip sheet.

Should getcha started.

Be careful, when I play solo my opponent(s) are all smarter'n me, roll dice better & get all the good cards...

Such is my shame...

Valerik

"in order to bring you the finest in entertainment there will be a 3 drink minimum"
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:35:54 PM »
Thank you all very much! Valerik, I always try to tell myself I've won every solo game (through a combination of dash, sound tactics and the crucial fact that I'm far better looking than that other fellow); maybe it comes down to being a "glass half full" kind of temperament!

Sorry again for the thread hijack. Now back to our regularly scheduled programme...

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 05:06:08 PM »
If you can find his strange Shop of Wonders, the inscrutable Dr. Fang is also offering an updated version of the Pulp Alley Solo Rules on our online store -- http://store.pulpalley.com/product-p/s2000.htm

It's a free download and includes a bunch of other cool stuff.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »
Thank you, Mr. Phipps, I've just ordered it!