Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:15:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Grabzatz Bestest Goblin Warband - Starting warband painted, two weeks too late.  (Read 4007 times)

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
Starting line up:

Grabzat the Wizard, Witch (Poison Dart, Fog, Animal Companion, Telekinesis, Raise Zombie, Leap, Fool's Gold, Absorb Knowledge)
Oozit the Apprentice
4 x Archer
Thief
Treasure Hunter

First fight was against a Soothsayer and his band. Simple treasure hunt, no special rules. Before battle both spellcasters failed to summon up any animal companions (they must have known I had no painted minis ready) but they did both manage to produce some fool's gold. Between them they managed to summon one zombie.

The opening dice roll was where I learned you can get into bow range in one turn so you should take a bit more care about your initial deployment. One shot, Oozit out of the game!

Despite this shocking opener, both players managed to secure three treasures without major incident leaving the match decider to a massive scrum over the tiebreaker (the Soothsayer had cast Reveal Secret before the match to put an extra treasure token out). One of his soldiers reached it first but a Poison Dart slowed him to a crawl and he was mobbed by archers, a newly summoned zombie and eventually Grabnatz himself. The enemy wizard kept the soldier alive for a while longer with healing magic, but that let her get drawn into the fray which ended with a lot of bodies, a goblin leap spelling off with the loot and Grabzat foregoing magic to club the enemy wizard to the floor with his staff.

The game ended 4-3 to the goblins and much fun was had.

The Soothsayer mind control spell was a bit of a beast and I was lucky that he consistently failed to cast it on my soldiers who were just about to run off the board with loot. Still lost a soldier and a zombie for a good portion of the game.

And the Fool's Gold spell was good fun. The enemy fell for both decoys which certainly provided me with much amusement!

After the fight Grabzatz gained 4 levels, mainly due to his wizard splatting, and found a grimoire of Imp which he learned. He invested levels in some more health and improved casting for Poison Dart and Leap as they both proved very useful in the game. Other loot was a scroll of Imp and a scroll of Invisibility, a fairly useless grimoire of Combat Awareness (opposed school so v difficult to cast, but you can't sell grimoires for spells you don't already know) and a banner of courage which will help with the old mind control if it comes up again.

Invested money in a couple of knights and a thief, moved to an Inn, fired the archer who was my only long term injury sufferer (harsh employment law in Frostgrave but I can't have him taking up a roster slot for a game while he recovers) and finally Oozit put Grabzat to shame and summoned up an animal companion. Bear!

Bring on the next game.  Pictures to come.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:18:50 PM by JamWarrior »

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
Re: Grabzatz Bestest Goblin Warband - A warband blog.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »

Grabzat and Oozit in their black undercoated camera stealth glory.

From Mantic and Willy Miniatures

And the band.

Archer, Archer, Thief, Zombie, Treasure Hunter, Archer, Archer.

And a shot of the fabulous table that my club has, originally made for Mordheim, perfect for a little warmer Frostgrave.

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
Re: Grabzatz Bestest Goblin Warband - A warband blog, now with pictures.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »
Minor update, 'bears' arrived (Pathfinder pre-paint Hodags). And lacking a little in modelling resources and time, I raided my daughters' craft drawers to make the Banner of Courage I found in my first game. I call it the Staff of the Radiant Sun and it amuses me. I might model all my magic items this way. 4yo girls are not short of glittery sparkly craft materials to loan to dear old Dad.

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
The full starting warband is painted!  This is the most painting I've done for decades.

Left to right on the full group photo: Archer, Treasure Hunter, Thief, Grabzat the Wizard, Zombie, Oozit the Apprentice, 3 x Archers.

Right, now can I catch up to where we need to be for the second game.  With the two pre-paint 'bears' it's two knights to paint.

And an imp or two I suppose.

Offline pulpgoblin

• Assistant
Sounds like a fun game!  Haven't had chance to play yet, myself.  Soooooooon (TM).

May be worth noting - Mind Control only works on "soldiers and creatures" so undead shouldn't be affected.  Not that it seems to have harmed your chances in the end  8)

Loving the warband  :D

Offline JamWarrior

• Librarian
Yeah, first game errors.  I also had 2 zombies out at one point and we were forcing any soldier activations made in the wizard/apprentice phase to be group activations.

Offline pulpgoblin

• Assistant
Yeah, first game errors.

Cool, mentioned just in case you hadn't since spotted it.  I'm sure I'll be making plenty of those myself, when I get the chance  :D