Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:19:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689755
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Warband! Roberto's journey (Jan. 17: Ranger, Warband done! Dragon, Yeti)  (Read 6990 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: New Warband! Roberto's journey (Update June 28: Captain)
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 06:50:31 AM »
Thanks. It's all done in Photoshop. The background is the blue one from Frostgrave and the rest is made from CC0 images or made myself.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline GHoooSTS

• Student
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 03:16:06 PM »
They look tremendous. I keep thinking I'm going to learn to use such a program one of these days but then other projects get in the way. Superb work.

Offline Alexvanm

• Lurker
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 12:51:45 PM »
Beautiful as always!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 07:09:09 AM »
They look tremendous. I keep thinking I'm going to learn to use such a program one of these days but then other projects get in the way. Superb work.

Learning a tool like Photoshop from scratch will take a lot of time, but it's worth it if you like it. And with Google and YouTube it's quite easy to do so these days.
But if you need help with anything or want custom cards or tokens, let me know. I can probably help out, no problem :)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 01:36:46 AM »
Really nice shield there and the wizard is great! :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: New Warband! Roberto's journey (Update July 24: Heroquest incarnate)
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 08:22:28 PM »
The best thing about Heroquest is the Elf!

I always loved the Elf...such a cool sculpt and concept in heroquest. He was my favorite character! Now he is a Thug in my Frostgrave warband and in last game he skewered a Treasure Hunter with his magically enhanced blade. Epic. I painted him in the original colours.

Nooo, the best thing about Heroquest is the Barbarian!!

He was epic in Heroquest and I hope this guy will be epic in my warband. The miniature is not the best, but still, he oozes character. Unfortunately his blade was broken in the past, so the bond is a bit wobbly. But I like him nonetheless. Adds to the nostalgia ;). Took me some time to get the skin right (wanted him to be like on the box cover) but I like how he is now.

No no no! The best thing about Heroquest is the Dwarf!

A model that has a lot of meaning to many of us...as he was on the front of a LOT of White Dwarf magazines too! Terrific artwork, not so great model (soft details). But still fun to paint and cost me two hours or so. I kept his skin dark to keep it as close to the artwork as possible.

Everybody knows the best thing about Heroquest is ALL FOUR HEROES TOGETHER!

And that was one of my biggest dreams in the last years: finish these four heroes once again, like I did when I was 16 years old (21 years ago). A great feeling and also very cool they feature in my warband as Wizard, Thug, Barbarian and Templar.
I will surely do all monsters and create my own creature cards for them for Frostgrave. Can't wait...!

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 08:50:43 PM »
Lovely!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »
Thanks mate!

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 01:05:01 AM »
I love these guys.  Really takes me back!

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
 8) very cool...well dun!!!!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: New Warband! Roberto's journey (Sept. 12: Nullmen, Knight, Crow Master, etc)
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 08:19:20 PM »
Thursday is our next game and me and my mate strive to paint new stuff before each game. So I sat down several nights and got quite some stuff done! We're playing "The Pits of Null" this Thursday so...

Nullmen

At first I had no clue what miniatures to pick for the Nullmen, but then I remembered the Cthulhu range from em4Miniatures/Moonraker. They are perfectly otherworldly and plain alien that I liked them for these creatures. For the painting I used 'antimatter's (from Deep Wars) painting method of painting with glazes. I followed his tutorial and used the Liquitex inks to get colourful blends with enough of the underlayer showing to make highlighting a breeze. For a first attempt I am very pleased and I love the method for these types of miniatures.
And the creature cards:

So otherworldy and utter alien creatures...coming to Felstad from the...

Pits of Null!

I really struggled for the Pits! So hard to imagine something original, strange and colourful. In the end I settled for printed photos of space. I googled for colourful nebulas and went with the ones with lots of pink and orange. I printed these on photo paper and then glued them to 3" templates. Added some sand and painted it. Added snow and then used Woodland Scenics Water Effects for the weird maelstrom. Worked well...but not on all of them. The Water Effects apparently took some of the ink away leading to white spots. I had to fix these, but it didn't went as smooth as I wanted. So in hindsight it would be better to laminate them before glueing them down.
But still, I think they work well as strange otherworldly portals that brought the Nullmen to Felstad's dimension. And they add a lot of colour to a table covered with snow!

Knight

What a totally cool miniature. He's super basic and simple but it works so well. Love the pose too, I just had to give him grey hair. He looks a bit stooped and old. For the shield I used a Space Wolf transfer, seemed perfect for the miniature. Had a lot of fun painting this guy! Only made the black around his eyes a bit too strong, but okay.

Crow Master & Blood Crow

The Crow Master is also a terrific miniature. Really original in terms of clothing and nice it's a female. I doubted a while which colour I would pick for her coat. In the end I went with magenta, lovely colour. And it also goes very well with P3 Coal Black, one of my favorite paints. Lots of detail, but all nice to paint. Only not a big fan of Mark Copplestone's "marble"-type eyes. I really prefer eye slits.
The Blood Crow is a Privateer Press crow as the Northstar one broke off its feet (my fault). I simply stuck a pin in this one and glued it to the rock. For the colour it just had to be red...it's a Blood Crow!
Great pair and I also am a big fan of them in the game.

Ruins & Walkways

I am always on the lookout for new cool scenery for Frostgrave. And I wanted to add more height to the game. Fortunately I found four resin aquarium pieces cheap on a Dutch eBay-like site. Primed them, drybrushed them and added lots of snow. Done! Well, the ruined castle had to be altered a bit as it was a 10mm castle otherwise ;) (using some plaster and foam to get rid of some detail).
And four more walkways so I now have 7. More than enough to give an interesting multilevel game!

Next time I'll be back with my last two soldiers (Daemon Hunter & Thief) and a shot of the entire warband.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Re: New Warband! Roberto's journey (Sept. 12: Nullmen, Knight, Crow Master, etc.)
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 09:00:24 PM »
I drooled over these enough of on Facebook, but I'm happy to drool over them here. Great stuff!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: New Warband! Roberto's journey (Sept. 12: Nullmen, Knight, Crow Master, etc.)
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »
Fantastic work on the Frostgrave figures, and terrain.

The other world portals are a cool idea - I think I will try this for my Epic sci-fi terrain, or fantasy stuff.

Spray varnish may have been another option for sealing the inkjet printing before the water effects.

Did you pick the colours of the Nullmen to match the portals, or find nebula pictures to match the null men?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 05:31:28 AM »
Cheers guys!
Fred... The latter :). So first I painted the Nullmen and then I googled the nebulas.

Offline Master Crafted Worlds

• Lurker
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2017, 06:04:57 PM »
Wow your magic pits/wells look awesome! Great use of water effects. Love the starry look!

Your minis are amazingly painted as well!

BTW what is your method for the snow effect on your terrain. Looks ace!